PDA

View Full Version : who knows how to hook up a subwoofer in an LSV

alex56
04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
im trying to figure everything out here.. im going to buy the newest kicker KM10.. but i was looking today at the kenwood deck that is installed.. it has subwoofer outputs but there both connected to the amp.. so im very confused considering the amp is just for the speakers no sub yet.. and it seems all of the amp outputs are taken up by speaker wire.. i know how to do all the wiring etc.. but how has anyone run the wires in the boat for the sub in front of the drivers seat? do you think i need another amp? if so how can i bridge the thing into the kicker amp that came with the boat ! - thanks:confused:

Kidder
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
im trying to figure everything out here.. im going to buy the newest kicker KM10.. but i was looking today at the kenwood deck that is installed.. it has subwoofer outputs but there both connected to the amp.. so im very confused considering the amp is just for the speakers no sub yet.. and it seems all of the amp outputs are taken up by speaker wire.. i know how to do all the wiring etc.. but how has anyone run the wires in the boat for the sub in front of the drivers seat? do you think i need another amp? if so how can i bridge the thing into the kicker amp that came with the boat ! - thanks:confused:

You will need another amp to run the sub.

The sub does not need a separate signal, it needs a crossover. The problem is to drive a sub, it will need two channels. So if you drive a sub with the Kicker amp, you will only have output for two other speakers. If I remember, your boat has four speakers. Each of the four speakers is driven by one of the current channels. So you either drop two speakers for a sub or get another amp to drive the sub.

The Kicker amp you currently have only allows RCA phono plug inputs. So to drive another amp (presumably for the sub, but you have some options), you only need to add a splitter to the RCA input of the current amp, and direct one of the split signals to the new amp (leaving the other split signal going to the current amp). You obviously need to deal with getting power to the new amp, which will need to be wired from the battery . You should be able to hi-jack the remote power lead from the existing amp, and run a line to the new amp.

alex56
04-19-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah, i understand all that, i have 2 12's in my car that i have worked with myself.. do you know if the wires for the sub are strung all the way auround the back of the boat to the drivers side.. or if there is a short cut that cuts across the boat to the kick plate

Kidder
04-19-2009, 10:58 PM
That, I don't know as I don't have one in my boat. Hopefully someone will chime in that has sub installed from the factory. I'd think you could run the wires anyway you want if you just use those stick-on wire guides.

alex56
04-19-2009, 11:01 PM
That, I don't know as I don't have one in my boat. Hopefully someone will chime in that has sub installed from the factory. I'd think you could run the wires anyway you want if you just use those stick-on wire guides.

yeah i think so, its gunna be a pain if you have to run it all the way auround the back thats about 35 feet of cable when usually the kit comes with 18's

jmvotto
04-19-2009, 11:20 PM
On the OBV the wires were run through the ski locker, poke you head an there should be wires running throught there already.

alex56
04-19-2009, 11:22 PM
On the OBV the wires were run through the ski locker, poke you head an there should be wires running throught there already.

allright thanks for the tips if anyone else can help post in

ABC
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
you can run the wires around the bow.. that is about 12', or you can fish them down into the ski locker and back up through the kickplate.. about 6'. i thought it looked like it would be hard, but was actually pretty easy once i got started.

I think i'm going to cut out my kickplate to make a better spot for my sub and make running cables easier.. I'll post some pics when i do it.

wbarksda
04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
There is a post on page 3 where Razz answered a bunch of my question.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7689