PDA

View Full Version : Scratch in the gel coat

slalomskier
04-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Don't know what I was thinking last fall when I was cleaning her up, but I had some pretty stubborn scum on the hull. So I used a green scrubby with light effort and I ended up scratching my gel coat? I have tried to add some extra coats of wax, but it hasn't taken the marks out. Luckily, I realized that I F-ed up and stopped but there are 2 marks now that just drive me nuts.

What can I do?
Can I use a rubbing compound?

Razzman
04-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Use a buffer and work the scratch out. I did a buddies not to long back by using 3M Diamond Cut / 3M Swirl Remover / Marine Wax. Remember to vary the buffer speed and keep it moving or you'll burn. Never spend too much time with the Diamond Cut, just a little at a time until you've got it.

II just used my 6" Palm Orbital yesterday to remove fender marks. I used ONLY wax and applied two or three times until gone, so you see moderation is neccessary but you will get it out. The gel is 18-22 mils thick if i remember so you have leeway.

kaneboats
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Start with polishing compound to smooth it up, then go to the swirl remover before the wax. Good luck!