PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint?

c.rix
04-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I have been thinking about tinting my windows myself to save some money And I have 3 questions

1. How do you take the windows out? I really havent look to closely at them
2. If I get some tint from a auto shop of even wally world is that good enough tint?
3. Is it as easy as the guys on the tv make it look

warwagon
04-19-2009, 06:43 AM
1. Never taken the window out?
2. That stuff from the part store and wally world is junk.
3. Boat windows suck period, the curve is a pain in the a$$. I know this because I installed window film for 3 years while going to college. So to answer question number 3 take it to a pro with professional film or you will just have a large headache.

mcdye
04-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Search, I have seen post about removing the glass then taking to tint shop. I dont know for a fact if they were using strips to make the curve or 1 single sheet. The front curves spook me, other wise tinting ur self is not rocket science.

c.rix
04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Well I found the post about getting the windows out that part seems easy

Warwagon - I kinda wanted to do it myself could you recommend a tint I could order online

mcdye
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I have checked our local shop will sell just the tint, bet it is cheaper online thou.

Please keep this thread update as you progress. Others may be doing the same project...(me :) )

c.rix
04-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I have checked our local shop will sell just the tint, bet it is cheaper online thou.

Please keep this thread update as you progress. Others may be doing the same project...(me :) )

Im gonna contact the local 3m rep to see if I can buy from them

I want to try to do this hopefully this week I will take pics If I do it myself but like you said that curve is spooky looking, but after watching about 10 different tinting clips on youtube I have a better knowledge on how to work the curve

I tinted the windows on my last truck but... I sold it after a year so im not sure how it held up

c.rix
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
anyone else have any pointers

Razzman
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
IF i was to do it then i'd have the local tint guy down the street do it, $75 if i bring in the windshield.

newty
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
C rix I'm a pretty patient guy and I tried and tried to lay down tint on my lsv and couldn't do it. The curved glass is a pita. Even the tint guys have a hard time and they do it every day. Save yourself the headache and take it to a tint shop.

mcdye
04-22-2009, 08:22 AM
C rix I'm a pretty patient guy and I tried and tried to lay down tint on my lsv and couldn't do it. The curved glass is a pita. Even the tint guys have a hard time and they do it every day. Save yourself the headache and take it to a tint shop.

Curious did either try heat shinking?

c.rix
04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Curious did either try heat shinking?

Ive been watchin that stuff on youtube just controlled heat really working from the middle out and also clean the window really well

newty
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Keep in mind its tempered glass and it will make lots of little pieces out of one big one if you get it too hot.
That was another reason I took it to a tint shop. If they break they pay for it. If I break it then having it tinted would have been a lot cheaper. Either way good luck let us know how you do it and post pics.

c.rix
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
After talking on here and a few others Im starting to second guess myself being able to pull this off

The cheapest quote I found was 199 though so It looks as I may lets this mod go for awhile

newty
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
The cheepest I found was 175 so your doing pretty well. Those guys are usually willing to negotiate so push them a little.

2000OUTBACK
04-23-2009, 04:32 AM
I had a Tint shop do mine and I Love IT!!!! It is a great mod!!

Sled491
04-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Years ago I owned a windon tint shop. Heat is the key. But remember if you do it on the boat as most would, you have a lot of tight spots where working the squege (spelling?) will be dificult. If you remove the window and lay it dowm to work the film better you limit your access with the heat gun.

mcdye
04-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Years ago I owned a windon tint shop. Heat is the key. But remember if you do it on the boat as most would, you have a lot of tight spots where working the squege (spelling?) will be dificult. If you remove the window and lay it dowm to work the film better you limit your access with the heat gun.

One video I saw showed them preping everything on the outside, trimming, and heating to shape. Then pulled the backing and place on the inside of the glass as normal. Has any one tried this?

c.rix
04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
those were the same vids I was watching as well

moombadaze
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Guys, you really will want to remove your glass prior to tinting. I had mine done on my old boat by a pro-tinter and ended up with gaps around the edge's. He also had to use a heat gun. Again remove the glass or you just wont be happy with it as the rubber seals are not perfectly straight around the edge's.

Sled491
04-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes you would trim on the outside and cut to shape, not sure about the heat gun at that stage. then clean glass with soapy water and a razor. Respray and apply while working the soapy water out and to the edges. When working the curves you will do the same thing while still working the water out and stretching the film with the heat. There is the tricky part. Keeping the surface wet so you can work the film but getting enough heat into the film so it will stretch

mcdye
04-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes you would trim on the outside and cut to shape, not sure about the heat gun at that stage.

http://www.snaptint.com/video-instructions.html third video down.

c.rix
04-24-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.snaptint.com/video-instructions.html third video down.

That was a very informational video short and sweet too!!!

The videos like that make me think I can do it everyone else says no :mrgreen:

Sled491
04-24-2009, 07:42 PM
That was new, I've never seen tint applied to the outside before?

warwagon
04-29-2009, 11:13 PM
3M (Really Clear), Lumar (prolly the best imo), Johnson (easy to work with), Madico (hard to press dirt out with)

Some of my recommendations