PDA

View Full Version : OK I tried the Yuengling

Sled491
04-18-2009, 08:45 PM
OK, so there has been so much hype about this Yuengling Lager that I took the oportunity to buy a six pack while here in Florida. Please keep in mind I'm no beer expert! I found the taste to be full and smooth.

Two days later I found a very poplular WI summer blend at Publics. It is call "Summer Shanty" by Leinenkugels. It is a completely different taste but I think you beer experts will find it to be a very nice refreshing drink for this summer on the lake. If that taste is not for you try the Honey Weis instead.

sandm
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
not available here in idaho.
anyone want to send me one? :)

warwagon
04-19-2009, 06:14 AM
meh! Yeungling is ok, I don't know what all the hype is all about.

zabooda
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I had some Leinie's in Denver a few weeks back at the Chicago Pizza.

tprkolbas
04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
leinenkugels also makes a beer called sunset wheat - got hooked on it last fall. it is a wheat beer with a hint of citrus flavor to it. i also tried a beer made by michelob this past weekend that is called shock top - not bad either. both would be excellent summer beers.

04OUTBACK
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I like the Yuengs myself. and was recently told to try the Lenie Summer Shandy.. will be on my next shopping list!

Sled491
04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I had some Leinie's in Denver a few weeks back at the Chicago Pizza.

In Denver? really? I guess there starting to Branch out to capture some diminishing business from the economy:(

dtlaine
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
OK, so there has been so much hype about this Yuengling Lager that I took the oportunity to buy a six pack while here in Florida. Please keep in mind I'm no beer expert! I found the taste to be full and smooth.

Two days later I found a very poplular WI summer blend at Publics. It is call "Summer Shanty" by Leinenkugels. It is a completely different taste but I think you beer experts will find it to be a very nice refreshing drink for this summer on the lake. If that taste is not for you try the Honey Weis instead.

As a Wisconsin native, I can vouch for the tastiness of any Leinie's product. My personal favorite is Leinie's Red, but all they really sell in FL is the Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat. While they're both delicious, I typically pick up some Red when I'm visiting the family in WI.

kaneboats
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Leine's was always cheap in the Chicago area. We used to get it all the summer festivals and stuff. Best cheap beer around. Now it's more like a specialty item.

sailing217
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
As a PA native, Yuengling was a staple in my diet through college. Very good, but gave me and the wife headaches.

For my lighter beers I've moved from Corona to Landshark.

My fav dark beer is Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. Anything by Sam Smith is top notch.

My father-in-law and I taste test every holiday so we've had most beers around the world. I met an actual professional beer judge and had fun at his resturant, from what I remember. So many to recommend, but the one I'll push is Sam Smith.

kaneboats
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
OUCH! How about Mickey's Big Mouth's? There's a headache.

I had a nice stout in Seattle called Hale's. They have an excellent cream ale too. For every day drinkin' I wish I could get the Michael Shea's Irish Lager around here. It's made by the same guys that make that Honey Brown crap but for some reason they push that stuff and not the other. Too bad.

moombadaze
04-21-2009, 04:33 PM
gotta say -I'm a beer rookie as im happy with Miller lite

Mrs.Daze
04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
OUCH! How about Mickey's Big Mouth's? There's a headache.

I had a nice stout in Seattle called Hale's. They have an excellent cream ale too. For every day drinkin' I wish I could get the Michael Shea's Irish Lager around here. It's made by the same guys that make that Honey Brown crap but for some reason they push that stuff and not the other. Too bad.

Hey, I have fond memories of that beer "Mickey's Big Mouth"!

Sled491
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
gotta say -I'm a beer rookie as im happy with Miller lite

this is kind of where I'm at on a daily basis as well. I just thought you know "While in Rome"

kaneboats
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Well, I usually drink Busch Light as kind of the minimum quality beer. It's very drinkable when ice cold compared to the el cheapo beers that taste a little nasty. I was getting 12 pks of bottles (which I like much better than cans except on the boat) at Wally's for 6.47. I think it went up to 7.14 now. I still get 18 pks of cans at the gas station for 9.49. Hard to beat at that price. It's so hot here you can go through a bunch in a hurry (especially with my brother around) so I like to stick with Light.

Kidder
04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, I usually drink Busch Light as kind of the minimum quality beer. It's very drinkable when ice cold compared to the el cheapo beers that taste a little nasty. I was getting 12 pks of bottles (which I like much better than cans except on the boat) at Wally's for 6.47. I think it went up to 7.14 now. I still get 18 pks of cans at the gas station for 9.49. Hard to beat at that price. It's so hot here you can go through a bunch in a hurry (especially with my brother around) so I like to stick with Light.

Busch Light and quality is an oxymoron. :razz:

dtlaine
04-22-2009, 08:54 PM

I'm with you. Ice cold Busch Light is a very decent beer. I've been on a Dos Equis Lager kick lately. With a slice of lime, it's tough to beat.

kaneboats
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I like the Amber one better but with a little lime the lighter one is good. Post above missed the qualifier "minimum" before "quality". Everybody has a level of beer below which they will just refuse-- except my neighbor Craig. For me it's Old Style-- even if it's free -- or Natural Light. Now, Old Milwaukee Light is a different story (although I think you are supposed to bring a cane pole to fish or at least do some clamming if you're drinking that stuff).

Sled491
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Two words "Clamato Juice". This one single additive makes any beer palatable :)

Kidder
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Two words "Clamato Juice". This one single additive makes any beer palatable :)

Don't juice your beer! :lol:

VA LSV
04-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm a little south of PA but had many a Genese Cream Ale & Yuengling as well. Currenlty Shiner Bock is my swill of choice.

kaneboats
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I've never really tried mixing beer with anything but wings.

moombadaze
04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Beer and Tomato juice are not to bad together

Sled491
04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
So the only difference is that clamato is a bit lighter and has more taste. I'm just not a beer dirnker so this is what I have to do to average beers to be able to drink them.

Clamato and Vodka is called a "Ceaser" and is also very good.

Now we want to talk rums I'm you guy. As I age my friends and I all rum drinkers have discovered that Rums bottles witha cork can open up a whole new world :)

Mikey
04-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Ceasars actually were first invented in a bar here in Calgary Canada.They are a much better version of a bloody mary.Very tastey and can be modified,made spicey, in many ways.
Now that you mention Rum how about Rye and coke. Not Canadianclub whisky ,which a lot of American bars try to serve as rye though. We refer to that as gut rot rye.We have a few good ones such as Gibsons or Crownroyal etc that come to mind. Sorry to stray off the beer thing,a lots of you know . Canadian beers vary as well but usually with a little more kick than most American beers although your prices blow ours outta the water. When we come down south we just tend to drink a little more to get the same effect.

KurtL
04-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Sled and Mikey, you Canadians really like the the Clamato stuff. I married a Calgarian (spelling?) and when the family comes to visit in the summer it's beer/Clamato,Ceasars and Rum. I usually pull out the Beam around the campfire but it seems a bit much for my good neighbors to the north. :D lol. Seriously though, the Canadians know how to have a good time!

Kurt

Sled491
04-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Mikey I here you, I have several friends that live on Corwn and Coke, and Giber was a favorite during my University days.

KurtL, don't try to fight it, just enjoy the ride:)

Mikey
04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Used to like Jim Beam untill it got outta hand one time and partied till i puked and puked. So short story is i can't stand it now. Did the same thing with Sambuka as well and now just stay far away from both. LIFE lessons learned the hard way.

skiyaker
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
well hate to dig up a buried thread, but I thought it was important to tell you all especially Ed that I got a chance to try this "brand new" beer call yuengling- strange as it sounds I came across it at the local liquor store; yup right now I'm on my second- might just go out in the garage and turn on the moomba stereo and kick back-I'm all about safe drinking and boating ;)

kaneboats
04-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I think it's the oldest brewery in the US so I don't know about "new".

cbboarder
04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
When visiting WI, I tend to lean toward the Spotted Cow. Someone mentioned Genesee Cream Ale, that's got to be the worst tasting beer ever brewed!!!!

sailing217
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Genesee Cream Ale tastes like bad skunked beer when it's fresh. Can't get any worse.

Yuengling is good, but gives me a bad headache the next day.

wolfeman131
04-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Yuengling is good, but gives me a bad headache the next day.

You drinking it a whole case at a time? :p

Razzman
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I have never found a microbrew, small house brew or regional beer I liked. I do like MGD, in fact that's about it, but i've pretty much given up beer. Now after a day on the lake a good rum & coke (or 6) hits the spot.

kaneboats
04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Gotta visit the northwest and try stuff from Hale's brewery. There will be something you like. As for mass produced pretend microbeers, try Shiner Bock from TX or, the extremely sweet and delicious Shiner Black Lager. Mmmmmmmm!

csm
04-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I second the Shiner and Shiner Black recommendations. My bro-in-law works for a microbrewery in Texas called Real Ale. They have a brown ale that that ranks up there with Shiner in my book.

But the best I've ever tried (and I've only tried it once due to availability) is Brooklyn Brown Ale. Anyone else tried this and thought it was as awesome as I did?

kaneboats
04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Haven't tried that one yet but I'll add it to the list.

I think the makers of Gennesse also used to make Michael Shea's Irish Amber. They stopped making it even though it was the best thing they made but they still make that Honey Brown crap and the Gennessee garbage.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
If you fellas are having to add "ingredients" to a cold BEER to make it drinkable, why even drink one? My suggestion.....order a Budweiser. Just tell the bartender "I'll have a fat boy please." If he is worth a thing, he will nod and slide you down a nice cool red label Budweiser.

Seriously, Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat is a good BEER if you enjoy wheat BEER. I would also recommend Boddington's. Whenever you can find it on draft it can't be beat. It is a cool blend of creamy but grainy so not really thick. It's a good quality BEER if you want a solid BEER that will not break your budget. There are better out there, but a good one to start your "BEERventure."

Razzman
04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Can't stand any ale i've ever tried, so i quit trying. And as for wheat beers to me they all taste like you've just sucked in a concoction scraped from the bottom of a barrel. :p

skiyaker
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
all this talk about great beers makes me want to bust out my homebrewing stuff. Back when I was a chemist I brewed a lot but lately I've found it to be less important than boating- it's a whole lot easier to stop past the friendly package liquor store and pick up a 6 pack! Maybe I should get my stuff out and come up with a "moomba brew" that I can share at some outings this summer!

WaterBullDawg1980
04-22-2010, 01:25 AM
all this talk about great beers makes me want to bust out my homebrewing stuff. Back when I was a chemist I brewed a lot but lately I've found it to be less important than boating- it's a whole lot easier to stop past the friendly package liquor store and pick up a 6 pack! Maybe I should get my stuff out and come up with a "moomba brew" that I can share at some outings this summer!

You can't beat a solid home brew developed by trial and error.

You were a chemist?! Wow. You better brew the best BEER ever!

kaneboats
04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
My little brother has found his calling. He has an Irish amber that is so good I'm like one of those rats in the cocaine experiment. He has a porter around the holidays that's real good and a lighter lemony summer brew too. Man, the guy has a talent. I'm trying to get him to bring some for the prop testers to sample.

New Guy
04-22-2010, 05:24 PM
We have a beer fest up by us that brings over 50 different micro brews that are awesome. It turns into a pretty big party, we all hop on a bus and go party on a Sunday.

Sled if you ever get over in the Hayward area check out a place called the Angry Minnow Brewery. They have some awesome micro brews. Not to mention it is a sweet t-shirt for the boat.

Sled491
04-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I used to go to Hayward riding back in the day, but since we bought the place in the UP we never get that way again. Seems all the bars and resturants up that way have names like that. I seem to remember a resturant we went to on our sleds called Spankies or something like that.