PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck - summerize

Kidder
04-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Well, this is my first summerization for this boat. Wish me luck. I plan on using the homemade fake-a-lake like others made here. I am going to reinstall the plugs, hook the hoses up (if necessary), hook the battery up and charge it and replace the impeller. I'm also going to clean the hell out of it and wax it. I will also inspect the trailer and tires.

Is there anything I should add to this list? :)

Sled491
04-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Fresh fuel, is the oil changed?

Kidder
04-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Oil was changed at winterization. Fuel had stabil added to it at the same time.

Sled491
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
You my friend should be "Good to Go: :)

Kidder
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
You my friend should be "Good to Go: :)

Gracias, senor. I will try and post pics of the impeller R&R for everyone. Although, mine's a DD so it looks pretty darn easy. (Knock on wood - wait, there's no wood in a Moomba!)

Sled491
04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
The impellor can be a bit frusturating, but stick with it and try to work it from all sides and it will come.

kennedy
04-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Where do you get the parts to make the kit for the fake a lake.

It is a great idea!!!!

Want to make sure that the XLV will be ready when we are!!!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

;)

Kidder
04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Where do you get the parts to make the kit for the fake a lake.

It is a great idea!!!!

Want to make sure that the XLV will be ready when we are!!!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

;)

Search is your friend.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7449&highlight=fake+lake

sandm
04-19-2009, 10:07 AM
hitting the lake for the first outing of the year this afternoon.
batteries charged, oil done, washed and waxed, bearings ok, impeller changed 40hrs ago late last summer, so plan on doing it later this spring. full tank with stabil in it.
hoping for a good start at the launch. always cringe the first time out to see if it'll start as you are launching it. lots of white smoke for a minute from the fog, but then good to go...

oh yea, don't ever forget..... rear plug installed :)

kennedy
04-19-2009, 10:08 AM
yea, i should learn to read.

i did look at the post.

THANKS!!!

Kidder
04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
yea, i should learn to read.

i did look at the post.

THANKS!!!

No problem. I just started everything. I've got all the hoses reinstalled.

I'm now trying to see where the block plugs go and I need to reinstall the strainer.

After that, I'm going to R&R the impeller. I will take pics of this procedure.

Sled491
04-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Making progress:)

No lake today, best I can hope for is a pull at the Cable park by the airport here in Orlando. My flight isn't until 4:30 so I'm good to go!

Kidder
04-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Sweet.

Okay, can someone help me find where I screw in the plastic strainer? I, for the life of me, do not see where it goes. Also, do the two drain plugs go on the aft end of the motor below the transmission fill? I can feel a hole on either side but it doesn't seem like they want to screw in. I need to go get a telescoping mirror to take a look.

I have a Direct Drive. Well, I guess I'll do the impeller now while the experts confer and give me a recommendation. :)

Kidder
04-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I got the impeller done. That was easy.

I also found the water strainer.

So, now if someone can post a pic or something showing me where the two brass drain plugs go, I'll be ready to fire her up (with the DIY Fake-a-lake, of course).

WolfpackRider
04-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a V-drive, but I assume the drain plugs are in the same in the engine on a DD. If you look at the winterization pictures in the following post, you'll see where the port side plug is in the 6th picture (and water coming out of the hole in the 7th picture):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6925&highlight=winterize

Kidder
04-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a V-drive, but I assume the drain plugs are in the same in the engine on a DD. If you look at the winterization pictures in the following post, you'll see where the port side plug is in the 6th picture (and water coming out of the hole in the 7th picture):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6925&highlight=winterize

PERFECT. Thank you very much.

Kidder
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
And, all done.

Now, I need to do a test with the Fake-a-lake and wash it. Thanks for everyone's input and help.

Kidder
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
One question on the fake-a-lake. There's two intakes under the boat. Do I use the aft or forward to run the engine? Or, does it matter? Thanks!

(Direct Drive)

Sled491
04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
One is for the ballast and one is for the motor. It should be the one on the port side just infront of the strut. It will also be the one that feeds the strainer.

Kidder
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
One is for the ballast and one is for the motor. It should be the one on the port side just infront of the strut. It will also be the one that feeds the strainer.

Thanks! I was using the one for ballast.

Sled491
04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
One way to test is to undo the strainer cup, turn on the garden hose on the fake lake and see if water comes out or not.

Kidder
04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
One way to test is to undo the strainer cup, turn on the garden hose on the fake lake and see if water comes out or not.

Why yes, that is quite obvious now that you say it!

Sled491
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm nothing if not obvious:)

Kidder
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
http://www.juddemerson.com/Moomba/old_impeller.jpg

http://www.juddemerson.com/Moomba/impeller_removed.jpg

I only had to use one set of needle nose pliers to pull it out.

http://www.juddemerson.com/Moomba/impeller_installed.jpg

Requisite beer in the Moomba coozy (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6088&highlight=coolie)

http://www.juddemerson.com/Moomba/moomba_cerveza.jpg

Sled491
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM
gotta love the suction cuzzie tool:)

jmvotto
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Dos Equis? In the moomba coozie

Kidder
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Dos Equis? In the moomba coozie

Yes. After all of the maintenance tasks, I washed the boat and wiped down all of the vinyl. Of course, the longer I work on the boat the more beer I drink. It's a win, win.

moombadaze
04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Gotta say the access you have to the impellar makes it way to easy. Just for fun you should try a 03 lsv--you'll need a case of beer:rolleyes:

Kidder
05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, thanks to sled and others, I took the boat out for its first run. For peace of mind, I let it idle on the trailer while in the water and I let it warm up to operating temp. It stayed around 150ish degrees and everything was great. So, I took it out and ran around for about a half hour and hung out for another half hour. It was windy as hell so I didn't want to stay out very long. Anyway, everything went great and I appreciate everyone's help.

Judd

Sled491
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Dude, that's what were here for:)

montanamoomba
05-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Anybody have any advice to get rid of the snow in Montana? Pulled the boat out of the garage two weeks ago and I am getting tired of having to brush the snow off the cover.

Great advice in this thread, just not sure i want to risk it yet.......low was 38 last night.

Sled491
05-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Anybody have any advice to get rid of the snow in Montana? Pulled the boat out of the garage two weeks ago and I am getting tired of having to brush the snow off the cover.

Great advice in this thread, just not sure i want to risk it yet.......low was 38 last night.

OK and try to follow.

1st. put house for sale

2nd load moving truck

3rd hook boat to truck

4th move to florida or somewhere south.

4a if 4 is not working for you try global warming :)

moombadaze
05-04-2009, 08:03 PM
OK and try to follow.

1st. put house for sale

2nd load moving truck

3rd hook boat to truck

4th move to florida or somewhere south.

4a if 4 is not working for you try global warming :)

Sled, when ya going to follow your own idea's-

I wont even mention the water temp this past weekend. but if we dont get rain soon i may just have to bring the boat north with me in june:rolleyes:

Sled491
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Daze, I just can't seem to unstick my feet:) My lake is about 8 inches high right now. We are dangerously close to being shut down again. Good for diving bad for watersports behind the Ole Moomba. Which by the way found it's way to the lift this weekend finally.

No need to bring boat, just show up!

moombadaze
05-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Hey Sled, how about a photo of the boat on the lake now that its wrapped.

Sled491
05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm in Toronto until friday (big surprise right). But will get the pic this coming weekend. I was half tempted to do it last weekend but for some strange reason I didn't