PDA

View Full Version : 03 Moomba Mobias Balast won't drain

HaulnSS
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I recently bought an 03 Mobias LSV, took it out for its maiden voyage the other day, checking everything out, I could not get the ballast to drain. It obviously filled alright, when filling it up, it was over flowing out the drain, so I assume everything is hooked up correctly. I can hear the pump kick on, but no water pumps out. Any help would be appreciated!

Red66gt
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
I have that problem sometimes with my rear sacks. Sometimes you have to turn on the switch and lift up and down on the front of the bags a few times....just a little....to get the water rocking front to back. Air builds up in the lines and wont allow the water to get sucked out. It's kinda like when you siphon liquid....once you get it going, it goes!

jasonwm
04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Are the drain pumps on your bags connected directly to them, or is there a short section of hose between the pump and the bag?

We're working on a solution to this, and hope to have something shortly.

Sled491
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Are the drain pumps on your bags connected directly to them, or is there a short section of hose between the pump and the bag?

We're working on a solution to this, and hope to have something shortly.

Man you are everywhere:) Keep up the good work!

HaulnSS
04-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Sorry for delay, haven't been able to get to working on the boat yet. I think I have told you all the wrong model. I have a plastic molded tank in the rear that the seat sits on top of. I don't see anyway to drain the tank. I can slide my hand down into one of the "seat" holes and feel the pump. It runs, but just doesn't drain. Is there a trick to getting the water started to drain?

HaulnSS
05-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Any ideas on how to drain this ballast?;)

Loonytik
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I have an 03 LSV and had the same problem.....not anymore.

I'm not sure of your set-up but I had two drain pumps that fed to one thru-hull. The two hoses combined and then were pumped out of one hole. My bags were very hard to drain and I spent a lot of time lifting up on the bags trying to get the pumps to pick up. I would eventually muscle the bags over the edge and pour them out manually.

The first thing to check is obviously the pumps. Take them out and test them in a bucket of water to make sure they are pumping correctly. Second, check the lines to see if there is any trash. Lastly, check the power to the pumps from your switches....make sure you have 12-13 volts going to the pumps. I did all of this.....still wasn't pumping out correctly.

So....I drilled another thru-hull in my boat. Now, my left bag drains to the left and my right bag to the right. I separated the bags to drain independently and I haven't had a problem since. You still have to make sure the pumps are primed but I don't muscle the bags anymore.

moombadaze
05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, Ive never seen a moomba with a hard ballast tank, so Im kinda at a loss to offer any idea's at this time. Can you take a photo of this tank?

HaulnSS
05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I can get pictures if needed, please check out my other thread.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7853

I got the ballast drained, but the setup doesn't make any sense to me. I wonder if prior owner made changes.

Sled491
05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, Ive never seen a moomba with a hard ballast tank, so Im kinda at a loss to offer any idea's at this time. Can you take a photo of this tank?

This is what the LS has, check with Z. This is what he has under the back seat

HaulnSS
05-05-2009, 09:05 AM
This is what the LS has, check with Z. This is what he has under the back seat

Who is Z? Sorry, new here.

SEARK
05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Have you tried draining it while moving? I have the same tank under my rear seat and anytime it doesn't want to drain I just start going and it will drain out. It's like it gets air locked.

HaulnSS
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Have you tried draining it while moving? I have the same tank under my rear seat and anytime it doesn't want to drain I just start going and it will drain out. It's like it gets air locked.

Although it has been a few weeks, I am pretty sure I tried that.

Do you know how your pumps are hooked up? I don't believe mine are right.

SEARK
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
no, I really don't know how thery're hooked up, sorry. I've never had any real issue that would cause me to look at the hookup.

jasonwm
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I believe your system uses two pumps, one to fill and one to drain. The drain pump should be mounted directly to the bottom of the tank, or in very close proximity. Double check to make sure the pump is functioning correctly by disconnecting the outlet hose and turning the pump on.

Sled491
05-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Z is ZEGM but heck you got a real deal ballast expert piping up so go with his suggestions