PDA

View Full Version : Impellar removal quesition

nitrous
04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey guys I have a quick impellar question.
I picked up my first Moomba last year a new 07 LSV and had it winterized at a local marine shop here since we do not have a Moomba dealer.
Anyways they winterized it and asked if I wanted the impellar pulled and I said ok.
They phoned me back and said that it was okay and they would just put in back in.
Now my question is can it be put back in wrong ? is there a certain way it should go in ?
This shop is mainly a outboard repair shop and don't think they have much experience with these types of engines which is concerning me.
I will fire it up in my driveway soon with my flush kit and as long as water is coming from exhaust and temp's are fine is it good to assume they put it back correct ?
________
jailbroken (http://jailbroken.org)

Waynes345
04-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I think you'll find in review of impeller or winterization threads, that the majority of posters replace the impeller every year. Cheap insurance. I also think that most of the winterization guides tell you to pull them in the fall and store in a baggie. As far as putting it back in, if you choose to use the old one, you'll be able to tell by the bend of the blades which way it was in. In my DD, it doesn't matter.

Razzman
04-15-2009, 04:01 PM
What's with the baggy thing? I've never pulled one yet from the housing, nor does anyone i know for that matter. Maybe it's an extreme cold thing? I don't even worry about replacing for at least two years although i do carry a replacement just in case.

mcdye
04-15-2009, 04:10 PM
What's with the baggy thing?

Seen other post that some pull the impeller when they winterize to check and "baggy" it. Apply some vaseline to it, place it in a ziplog bag, to let the splines/vanes rest and put back in in the spring OR cycle to backup and use new one.

moombadaze
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
i have allway's changed it yearly or everyother year and just tossed the old one in the glove box as a spare or to let someone else use who is broke down on the lake and needs one--pay it forward type of thing

sandm
04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
mine is still in, as a matter of fact, I don't even know where it goes. replaced one last summer at the dealers recommendation while doing an oil change, and decided at that point that I would replace the next one once I saw the bill, but figure that I'm good until this summer or possibly fall..
can't be that hard to do as it only took them 2 hours for an impeller, oil change and trailer inspection.

nitrous
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
so as long as when I fire her up I see water spitting out the back and temp's are normal she is good and nothing to worry about ?
________
marijuana vaporizers (http://weedvaporizers.org)

Waynes345
04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
so as long as when I fire her up I see water spitting out the back and temp's are normal she is good and nothing to worry about ?

Sure. Still a good idea to have a spare and know how to replace it if the temp starts to rise. Same with the thermostat.

sloppy
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I would not store it with petroleum jelly. That will break down the rubber.

Waynes345
04-27-2009, 05:40 PM
mine is still in, as a matter of fact, I don't even know where it goes. replaced one last summer at the dealers recommendation while doing an oil change, and decided at that point that I would replace the next one once I saw the bill, but figure that I'm good until this summer or possibly fall..
can't be that hard to do as it only took them 2 hours for an impeller, oil change and trailer inspection.

Two hours for an oil change, an impellar change and inspecting the trailer? I'm no mechanic, but the impellar and oil change wouldn't take a pro 30 minutes and he could probably be working on two boats at the same time. Most of the time to change the impellar for me is getting it out, but usually no more than 10 minutes and plenty of time to enjoy a beer with the money saved.

Brian Raymond
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Good call Sloppy, you do not want to coat the impeller w/petroleum distulates, it will break down the nitrale rubber it is made of. When people winterize thier boats (especially in colder regions, and less than 50 hrs.), they have the impellers removed and put up dry in a "baggie" and attaced to the steering wheel (this is done to remind you to put it back in at start up). This is done to let the blades of the impeller resume to thier normal position, and not stay bent in the housing. The blades sit bent all winter because there is a cam in the housing which bends the blades to create suction. I, replace mine every season, and put the old one in the glove box-unfotunately, I avg. 40 hrs. but I replace it evey year (cheap insurance). When reinstalling a impeller, be sure to use a water soluable lube like Fantastik cleaner or a soapy water solution. This will help guide the impeller in, and not deter from the breakdown or pick-up of the impeller. There is no wrong way to install one, but when doing so, it is on a splined shaft, rotate clockwise and push in w/the palm of your hand. This is driven off of the crankshaft, and has 4- 5/16" bolts on the front of the housing. Scribe how you take it off, because it only goes on one way. Remember, to always replace the gasket. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond