PDA

View Full Version : Trailering boat with the cover on?

pickle311
04-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Is it ok to trailer with the standard cover on the newer moombas? On my 05 I had the gray cover and there's no way I would tow with it on. The cover on my 07 is much nicer and looks like it would be ok as long as all of the straps are on the inside.
I'm asking because I'm towing the boat to a lake that's 4 hours away this weekend. There's a slight chance of rain on the day we are leaving and I'd like to keep the boat clean. I do have the snap on cover for the bow if I can't tow with the full cover, but it still gets dirty when you hit wet roads. What do you guys do?
For the record, I've made the same trip with the bow cover and the z5 cargo Bimini on rolling at 80mph with no issues. That z5 is SOLID

zabooda
04-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Cover it if it starts to rain.

mcdye
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
I picked our boat 600 miles away from home. Drove home ~ 65 mph with the bow and cockpit snap covers. A couple of snaps on the cockpit by the side glass came undone. Other then that no issues.

moombadaze
04-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Pickle, I believe the factory covers are not designed for towing-just moring covers. Thats one of the reasons im looking at Rankin and Evolution covers-they are tow rated but expensive-around $800

Hoopskier
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I personally don't tow with the cover on. I'm not worried about damaging the cover, I worry about the boat. My brother towed his boat on a 4 hr drive on the highway and the cover was fine. But the tie straps left marks on the side of the hull from vibrating in the wind. The marks had to be professionally buffed out.

I would just tow without the cover. If you really want to cover it, I would just wait until it just starts to rain. You might get where you going without the cover and avoid the whole issue.

zabooda
04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
So the factory covers have wind limitations. I had a cover made for $400 using Top Gun and good for 15 years. More expensive than Sunbrella but it will outlast it and I can tow with it on. The 18 years I have been boating here I had to cover my boat while trailering about six times so it isn't a common occurance.

Razzman
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
While damaging the cover can and will happen, it's the boat that takes the beating! Unless your cover is made for towing and the factory covers aren't, then they flap against the gelcoat and wear marks into it that may or may not be able to be removed. I've seen it happen!

nibots
04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
If you want to kepp the cover straps from flapping in the wind, put a twist in them before you snap the buckles closed. When they lay flat, the wind forces itself under the straps andf they vibrate. Look at any flat bed truck going by and you will see thier straps are twisted.

zabooda
04-15-2009, 02:35 AM
I hate to see one of these non-trailerable covers in a wind storm. I don't think the cover is smart enough to distinguish between a 55 mph wind from being pulled and a 55 mph wind from a lousy storm. I hate to be telling my wife that the winds are predicted to be 55 mph tonight and any bets that the cover will still be on it in the morning. Oh well, I can go get another one of those pretty covers and wait I don't have to worry...until the next storm.

BensonWdby
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Gell coat burn is definitely the biggest concern. I have seen it on my trailer and been warned about it by my 'body guy'.

canuckskier
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I tow my "06 Outback with the standard cover a total of around 4500 miles every season. I have done this for 3 seasons now, and not one blemish on the gelcoat. It does take some planning though.

First thing i did was buy some fleece, and sew it around the straps where they come in contact with the boat, then as stated above, I twist them, and make sure no loose ends can flap in the wind and rub the boat.

Next thing i do is shrink-wrap around the boat's rub-rail. The next thing i do is use an old piece of camping foam, and place it over the windshield. The cover does a great job of keeping it secure.

Once I get to my cabin (which is a 36 hour non-stop drive) all I need to do is remove the cover, and scrub all the bugs off the tower. That is a mess!

I know it is not recommended to tow with the factory cover, but I tell you, with some planning and caution, it CAN be done. The cover is showing no signs of wear by the way.

Cheers

Razzman
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Well i guess it can be done for the long haul ... there's no way i'd go through all that for the one hour trip to the lake.

I tow my "06 Outback with the standard cover a total of around 4500 miles every season. I have done this for 3 seasons now, and not one blemish on the gelcoat. It does take some planning though.

First thing i did was buy some fleece, and sew it around the straps where they come in contact with the boat, then as stated above, I twist them, and make sure no loose ends can flap in the wind and rub the boat.

Next thing i do is shrink-wrap around the boat's rub-rail. The next thing i do is use an old piece of camping foam, and place it over the windshield. The cover does a great job of keeping it secure.

Once I get to my cabin (which is a 36 hour non-stop drive) all I need to do is remove the cover, and scrub all the bugs off the tower. That is a mess!

I know it is not recommended to tow with the factory cover, but I tell you, with some planning and caution, it CAN be done. The cover is showing no signs of wear by the way.

Cheers