PDA

View Full Version : Tool box

Paul
04-13-2009, 09:50 PM
hey gang,

Getting ready to break in my new LSV and am assembling a tool box for the boat. Aside from the normal items ie. wrenches, sockets, allen wrenches electrical tape....ect. is there any item that you may have really needed and didn't have for the LSV. A particular tool that you didn't think you would need? Thanks in advance,

Paul

JesseC
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
A filet knife, mask and snorkel for getting your rope out of your prop!! It happens to everyone eventually.

Also put a few extra drain plugs in there. I launched one out into the lake while slipping down the boat ramp. They are cheap.

kaneboats
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Extra set of keys for the truck. I actually keep mine hidden on the truck but I have a spare boat key hidden on the boat too.

smokedog2
04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
A very sharp knife and facemask for when you melt the rope around the propeller shaft.
You can get a second battery and perko switch now or after you get towed a couple times.
Be sure you have a real anchor with chain that will hold you if you get in a jam.
Binoculars see a fair amount of use trying to find your friends on the water (why else would you need them?).
Yea, I’m still doing taxes.

SD2

jester
04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Smokedog,

Still doing the taxes. You should hurry up the bad day is coming up quick.

Anyways for tools I like to keep a Leatherman in the boat also. A few other things other than the mask and knife that everyone has used would be a first aid kit. Injuries do happen and it is good to be prepared for a cut finger or a person only needing some aspirin.

jmvotto
04-13-2009, 11:02 PM
make sure you put a strap on the leatherman, hard to loose it down deep.

zabooda
04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
The prop puller and spare parts. Hide a key somewhere for the same reasons it's done for the vehicles. Fuses for anything that uses them.

newty
04-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Duct tape, bailing wire, and vinyl tape or water bed repair kit for ballast bags.
I was on week vacation a couple years back and my throttle cable broke 1st day out. Bailing wire save the week. My dealer laughed when I brought it in and said that was the only fix he'd ever seen on a throttle cable that held. I also have a roll of bulk 2" wide velcroe, the uses for that are limitless.
Funnel with a hose on it for... gassing up. Or for emerency use in case a low beer light.;)

2nd the Knife, goggles, and a really good first aid kit. My wife is a nurse and my Broin-law is a paramedic, so I have enough stuff to peform a small surgery if need be.

mcdye
04-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I ran across this on another site. I used it as a guide/idea of things that one might need.

aintskeered
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I bought a 50$ cheapo everything tool box, added duct tape, tye wraps, electrical tape, good water plyers x2, vice grips, patch kit, saftey wire, Cressent wrench 1 lg 1 small, two knives, a lighter in plastic baggie, flash lights. Also have simple first aid kit, a spare prop with puller (Have changed them under water more than once) spare impeller, and a mask.

So Far I use the tool box a couple times a year, every year the good part is its always been on somone else's boat to keep them from having a bad day at the lake! You know these moombas are tow boats so I do try and tow a couple boats to shore every year! If there real nice I somtimes help them get going again too!

brenpire
04-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't forget Allen/hex keys. they always come handy.

Paul
04-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey thanks guys,

Really appreciate it, I never would have thought of the goggles and knife.

Have a great day,

Paul