PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about boat batteries

scmarketing
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Michael Littman, former Marketing Director at Skier's Choice. Working at an ad agency in Louisville Ky. Have a chance to work with a company that provides boat batteries for the marine industry.

Appreciate your help on this.

Curious as to your opinions on different brands of boat batteries. Got a favorite? If so, why? Good experiences with any brand? Bad? Did your Moomba dealer offer you a choice of batteries, or did you just take whatever brand they put into the boat? Does the brand of boat battery matter? Are any batteries better than others?

You get my drift. You can answer me here, or send me an email at [email protected].

As always, thanks for your good advice.

Michael

ian ashton
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I didn't know it was an option to change batteries in my boat - we ordered our Outback from the factory last year and just accepted whatever battery they gave us. I must say that I'm rather impressed with whatever battery it is that I have. I've used the stereo with the engine off for pretty extended periods of time and never had an issue with a dead battery.

I'll also say that I wish I had a sealed battery, like an Optima, just because I like the versatility and no maintenance aspect. I'll likely "upgrade" to an Optima or similar in the future.

maxpower220
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I like a battery that starts my boat each time. I was not offered a choice of batteries when I bought my boat last year.
Boat was fully charged even after the winter layup, so no complaint for whatever battery that I have.

moombadaze
04-14-2009, 08:10 AM
My old 03 lsv still has the original battery in -never been on a charger and no battery switch and has sat every winter for 2-3 months with the cover on and still starts the boat to this day--That is the best battery one could ask for. I am expecting the same out of my new 08.

Think both are interstates

04OUTBACK
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
NO issues with my 04 Outback or my 06 LSV..
My 2 friends with another brand of boat that comes with a fancy "Colored" top have both had issues with theirs at 1 yr and 2yr old..

Razzman
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Personally IMO Optimas are way over rated and over priced. I see too many have problems with them. I've had fantastic experiences with Interstates and Costco marine batts. I'm not sure who makes them but i believe it's Interstate. My '07's battery works just fine so far and my added batt is a Interstate, go figure!

Sled491
04-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I think that your dealer gets the boat in "no battery" and they make there own deal with a local supplier for the set up. I also have not looked at the battery in my boat, and so far all has been good. In my last boat I used Interstate, in my truck I use Interstate, in my lawn tractor I use interstate. See a pattern, I think Intersate is a good battery.

These fancy color topped batteries seemed over priced and I hear a lot of complaints about them.

SEARK
04-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Not sure the brand, but the battery that came in my 07 has been a good one. First time out this year it started with no hesitation whtatsoever. Now I'll have to look and see what kind it is.

byronkoz
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Interstates are good batteries and thats what came in my 06 but......If your running a decent system in your rig and dual batteries you'll want a battery with the most amp hours. Interstate doesnt rate amp hours on alot of there batteries they do reserve hours. If you check up on it reserve hours are basically about 40% of amp hours, not good. I run 3 27 series batteries from WalMart. They were $35 less than the 27 series Interstates and have a 2 year replacement. The Walmart battery has 115 amp hours, the interstate has 160 reserve capacity. So that only less than 70 amp hours for that battery. I've allways run Interstates and like them, just not for my application.

I agree with Razzman, the Optimas arent worth them money you can get better for less. Actually doesnt Interstate make the Optima line? Better AGM batteries like Deka's, Oddysey or Kinetic if your looking to go that direction.

sandm
04-14-2009, 08:04 PM
have the factory batteries in my '06. charged them both yesterday for the upcoming weekend first outing, and both are healthy. haven't spent any time on them prior, so I figure that's pretty good to get 3 solid years with no time invested. I figure that I'll be replacing them sometime this year, but who knows.... :)

jmvotto
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
I am not sure which battery I have. 07 obv but it works great. I have always trusted the batteries from walmart and sam's club i believe they are made by johnson controls.( so is die hard)

BensonWdby
04-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I bought my 99 Mobius with 33 hours on it. My first year with the boat was my boats second... In the third year I had to replace the battery, and I have replaced the battery every year since. It is more about purchasing convenience. The closest place to buy a Marine battery to our lake is a Walmart. They only have one choice. So that's what I get. I used to bring the battery inside every winter, but have gotten lax about that over the years. did not seem to help that much anyhow..

My biggest beef is that there seems to be some sort of trickle drain. If I leave the boat on the lift for a couple of weeks, I can almost always count on it being dead. Granted we don't use it like we should, take the boat out for a couple of slalom sets for a couple of skiers and then back on the rack. Maybe do this twice a day, 2-3 days in a row. Then gone for rest of week.

I was told that many modern engines with computers and all that will continue to draw small amounts of power even if key is off. Not sure if that is true or not, but it sure is annoying to get up to the lake and find a dead battery.

Razzman
04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Well Benson i would say your a prime candidate for a solar battery maintainer.

wolfeman131
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Well Benson i would say your a prime candidate for a solar battery maintainer.

I was thinking the same and have been looking into them for my lake place as I'm notsure about leaving a trickle charger plugged in while I'm away for weeks at a time.

Anyone use a solar unit yet? Recommendations? Ones to avoid?

Sled491
04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually, I'd look into an Isolator. This way when you go home for the weekend you just turn the switch to off and be gauranteed that there is no slow leak:)

kaneboats
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Whatever lights your candlestick.

Sled491
04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Yeah really:)

We all have internet ADD!

scmarketing
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Ask a simple question ... get a complicated answer.

zabooda
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I thought your comments were rather humorous as in a recent post I couldn't figure out how there could be four pages of comments on a DIY Fake-A-Lake. What can be said about a toilet plunger with a hose connection.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7449&page=4