PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Moomba Outback V overheating.HELP please!

MoombaBum
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi all, I just put my boat in the water all hyped for the season and I have an issue. It was winterized professionally...

Like always I started the boat in idle and monitored all my gauges while taking it for the first run around the lake. Everything seemed good until I planed off at 15 mpf...within a minute my Temp gauge rose over the 180 mark. Once it reached around 200 I brought it down to idle and parked it at my dock.

I had a guy come out and look at everything. He replaced the thermostat in 'water distribution block' in the rear of the engine. 'Thought was that is was seized up and not allowing enough water to flow through the engine. Well, same problem w/ the new one...When temp gauge reads 200 everything can be touched by hand for a few seconds. This leads me to believe it is a false reading..

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

(Where is my raw water pump *to check impeller*??)

dtlaine
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Are you sure there isn't something blocking the water hose? I've had weeds/grass stuck in the hose at the tranny cooler. I think that's a likely scenario.

The raw water pump is at the back of the motor near the top. It will have a couple large water hoses hooked to it (four I think). There should be four screws holding a cover on, and the impeller is behind the cover. I am of the opinion that it's a pain in the a$$ to get to, so I would find the tranny cooler in the water line first, unless you know there couldn't have been any weeds sucked in.

JesseC
04-13-2009, 10:19 PM
My 02 LSV is very similar to your boat. I change my impeller every year which is maintanence over kill. I agree with dtlaine, check the side of the tranny cooler that faces the V-Drive. It has about 30 number 2 pencil sized holes in it that loves to get plastic and cardboard lodged into it. It is easy to check and clean. I would replace the impeller as well, the first time will take you about and hour to hour and a half. I can change mine in 20 minutes now, very simple. It is easiest to replace from the port side. Just remove the engine panel and blower that is screwed to the floor. It is easily accessable now and you can either remove the entire pump (three bolts on the harmonic balancer and one on a "arm") or you can just remove the four little bolts on the end and pull the impeller out. The second option is extremely difficult on the LSV and the impeller usually will not come out due to the fact of no leverage at that angle . I remove the entire pump, clean out the housing, replace the impeller and put it back on.

snowboardcorey
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Agreed with the guys above, on an 07' its more likely a blog or clog in the system than the thermostat.

As a part of our winterization we check the impellar and clean the tranny cooler. Looks like you might want to make that part of your check list too.

If you are on a lake that is fairly weedy you may want to look at installing an inline strainer. This is basically a jar with a screen on the inside that catches weeds and debris, the jar is clear so you can visually check it when ever you want.

MoombaBum
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas...
Its a spring fed lake that doesn;t have many floating weeds.
I haven't changed the impeller in the previous 2 seasons...

I already have an inline strainer, the engine has been running while the strainer was removed.(No water circulating through hoses, pump may have burnt up/impeller spin too fast and broke??)

If the water pump isn't working/or working at half power..will water still flow through the system in idle?

mcdye
04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
I understand the fresh water pump will suck the water up thru the system. If the splines/vanes are gone I would not think it would move much if any water.

I would never run the motor without any water it will definitly burn up the impreller....

Look in your manuals or download them from Indmar and Moomba..

Check the impreller.........

Razzman
04-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm almost willing to bet your impelller is chewed up and part of it is caught up inside the system somewhere or enough is missing to cause the overheating issue. Get another one and pull and replace the old one.