PDA

View Full Version : Mobius Marine is no more, but what about their customers?

04-13-2009, 01:37 AM
So I emailed my dealer here in Alberta Canada about getting my 08 XLV serviced and I got an email back, apparently the dealer is no more as of the end of the month, they have laid everyone off and the tech I was dealing with can still service on the side but he is not sure if it will be covered under warranty.

So let me get this straight, the dealer could sell boats galore but now that sales slow down, they can close their doors and leave customers out in the cold? I bought my boat there BECAUSE of the service they were suppossed to be known for. They were also one of the top 3 Moomba dealers in the world.

I feel so ripped off right now. Spend over $50k on a new boat from the largest dealer and then bam, this. I will be calling the shop Tuesday to find out what the deal is but I am just a bit surprised.

Moomba, help!!!!! Looks like I might have to do all the 100 hour servicing myself, unless I can take it to a Centurion dealer.

I'll post an update after I speak to the dealer.

Razzman
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
It's a sign of the times 501, plain and simple. Same thing happened to me and Skiers Choice had another dealer lined up and signed up in no time. Don't know the particulars up your way but that's how it worked for me.

In California alone, more specifically northern, we've lost at least 7-8 dealers covering all brands. All the manufacturers have either cut staff or have reduced work weeks to stay afloat. The marine industry is in serious trouble due to economic conditions. Be lucky you didn't buy a Malibu, they lost their whole NorCal dealer network, at least 6 shops shut down! Cut 'em some slack, it's not SC's fault this happened and i'm sure they are concerned.

Mikey
04-13-2009, 01:05 PM
This is news to me as i have two friends that work at Mobious. Hopefully something gets sorted out and something changes. One option at this point i guess is that Martins in Edmonton is the SC dealer up there or maybe Martins here in Calgary will become the SC dealer here as well.
I pop in from time to time there to talk /browse ask questions and they NEVER give me a hard time. They seem like good BOATING people with a common interest just a different brand name.ie MC

Big shame if they do close for good as they just built a state of the art service,storage sales centre thay didn't even get to a completly finished stage yet.Also I believe Jeff, the service manager to be one of the best in the business,especially locally.

FLTH2O
04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Although I don't work for Mobius any more I still am in contact with them regularly so this is a surprise to me too. I am starting up a company in the Okanagan called Flatwater Marine that will be authorized to service Supra and Moomba boats. I hope I haven't broken any rules posting this. PM me if you have any questions.

Mikey
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I facebooked one of my friends at Mobius and sure enough its true. As of the end of the month they are done. TrueNorth,MB dealer out of Airdrie is taking over ther location but no more details . Yet.

mustangairchair
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
so is the the calgary location or all mobius stores?

Serria1
04-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I found this out on April 11 from Gilligan's in Airdrie.I was going to buy an Outback but I never got any good communication from Mobius in store or at the boat show.
I guess the big new shop put them under to bad for a local company :(but not unexpected. the few time I was in asking about boats would never give the same answer on the same boat price would change weekly.
We did buy all our wakeboards there good service on the pro shop side.
sales side :(
guys in the pro shop:) bad for them
That leaves only Hyperactive and Martin for any water gear.

Link to the new shop. http://www.mobiusmarine.com/service.htm

Sled491
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
If you ever wondered why some many companies go belly up when times get tough and others still stay in business it's Best Business Practice. Those that didn't run a good business but stayed afloat due to volume, drop off first. Those that are around time and again are the ones that run good businesses. This is true of any industry.

However in this case I think they may have taken on an expansion project at just the exact wrong time:(