PDA

View Full Version : Severe Mildew

JAdams40
04-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have any good suggestions for severe mildew removal?

jamesroger
04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
When I bought my boat it had a lot of mold and mildew on the seats that the guy didn't tell me about. But after I got it home just used some Fantastic and a small scrub brush (not an SOS pad or product like that) and gently scrubbed it out. After I made sure I rinsed it well with warm water to remove any left over soap, and looks as good as new. Did the whole boat with it and was suprised at how well it restored the vinyl.

04OUTBACK
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM
one natural assistance is TIME in the sunshine. It will dry it some and help with removal..
Marine Spray 9 is helpful.. I had a little over winter in spots where the cover rested on seats..

bergermaister
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I had some problems with mildew on and under the vinyl as well a couple years ago - purplish spots showing up that will not scrub off no matter what chemical or scrubber I tried. I got some very tiny hypodermic needles from the friendly/hotty nurses at my medical clinic and very carefully injected bleach into the spots.

I went in at as horizontal of an angle as I could to the vinyl so the small pin hole would not be visible and would not start a tear. These were tiny needles so I was only getting a few drops of bleach (75% bleach / 25% water mix) into them but that and time in the sun made them go away almost completely.

Good luck.

brenpire
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Spray 9 Marine works wonders. Direct sunshine will do the rest.

98outback
04-14-2009, 06:12 AM
I used 303 marnie vinyl cleaner and a mr clean magic eraser and of course soap. Just take your time. After it was all clean i gave it a couple treatments of 303 aerospace protectant. Interior is now perfect and have not had any mildew problems since. I also keep a thing of damprid in the rear of the boat now and in the main seating area when the cover is on. It always smells nice and clean now when I take the cover off.

nibots
04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
I got a lot of mildew on the upholstery last fall before I got the boat put up for winter. I cleaned it off with Star Brite mildew stain remover and then sprayed everything with 3M mildew block and it turned out great. I live in the wet PNW and the boat looks perfect this spring.

JAdams40
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. My wife actually purchased a random marine mildew remover from Wal Mart that actaully worked wonders. A little time and effort, and all was removed!