PDA

View Full Version : New Outback

Lpfeil
02-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Ok guys, I take delivery of my new 2004 outback tomorrow afternoon. I know that I have to spend about 7 hours to brake in the motor and that inboards back up different than my old outboard. Anything else I need to be aware of or caustious of ? Appricate all responses.

Thanks,

Larry

waterboy
02-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Larry,
Congratulations on the new boat......try not to be too paranoid trailering it home! :p The first thing I did with my new Outback was put a good coat of wax on it. Follow the break-in procedure and be sure to get it back to the dealer for the 10 hour service and inspection. Look the boat over carefully during this time in case there's anything the dealer needs to fix, replace or adjust. And make sure he gives you a sticker for the back window of your truck!

Enjoy your new boat, Larry. What color did you get?

Brian

Lpfeil
02-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Brian,

We got it in Brittany Blue. Do you use a special wax for the gel coat or just a automotive type wax ?

Larry

waterboy
02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Nice color choice.....I use a wax called Collinite's 476. Sounds weird, but it's a great carnuba wax. There's another good one called Trewax, which is probably easier to find in stores than the Collinite's. I was a detailer for years and have used Collinite's on all my toys since...oh god...the 70's, I guess. Wouldn't use anything else. Here's a link to one place online that carries it...I'm sure there are others.

http://store.yahoo.com/autofanatics1/col476wax1.html

Brian

carsondoc
02-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Have them give you a drain plug for your ice chest in the floor. The type of brass and rubber plug usually used on I/O boats works great. Otherwise it's possible for oily bilge water to contaminate your cooler and it's a drag to drink beer from an oily bottle.;)

Also, make sure you get the two bungee cords used to hold down your back seat when it's in the "up" position. Finally, ensure that the CD player works properly (if equipped) and make sure you get a manual for the boat, the engine and the transmission.

You are going to love your new Outback. Have a great time with it.

Lpfeil
02-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Got everything, thanks for the advise. Now waiting for a dry day so i can get it in the water.

Larry

csaj4506
02-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Congratulations on your new boat. I got my Mobius V 02/06 and now have 4 hours time on the boat. Great fun even in cold weather. Here is part of a posting I did under the Boat Owners forum. Note the part about my first ding (a nasty cut on the rub rail). I’m just glad I did it not my wife.

-------
... Also got my first ding. I had the trailer a little to deep and came in on the trailer a little hot, I cut the front rub rail when the nose of the boat hit the trailer just under the front nose roller. Ouch! No harm done to the fiberglass. Lesson learned, when loading the boat put the trailer in the water till only the wheels are covered by the water not the finder. This allows the boat to catch on the trailer runners and gets the boat at the right angle as it come up the trailer.
-------

csaj4506
02-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Does anyone else have any experiences they would like to share with us new Moomba boat owners to help keep us out of trouble?

I have heard other inboard boat owners talk about logs floating under the water surface that rip off the fins, drive shaft, and prop. Can anyone provide advise on how to avoid these kinds of water sharks?

tygger6069
02-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Lpfeil,

Just a few notes that I see, loading can be a tricky job but with these trailers it was easy once the dealer sshowed us how to do it. We put the trailer in so that the fenders are just barelyuderwater(in fact the water just slightly goes over the fender). We also got the boatbuddy for the bow stop on the trailer, once the tailer is in place we drive onto the trailer with power until the boatbuddy lock through the bow eye and then my wife pulls out and no one gets wet. Back up is a bit different than in any other type of boat but after a few times it gets easier. Congrats on the new boat, great color too!! Hope that you enjoy yours as much as we have ours(2000 Kamberra, Viper Blue). Can't wait for spring!!!

james yarosz
02-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Inliner is right about the bildge pump. shortly after i got my boat i had tp leave it tied up all night with no cover.(long story) It rained most of the night and in the morning the water was over the floor . The bildge had sucked in a small piece of plastic and blew the fuse!

Lpfeil
02-29-2004, 10:48 PM
We got into the water today ( sunday) & put 2.5 hours on it. had a good time just putting around the lake. Appricate everyones input. It appears how deep you need to go with the trailer depends on the dropoff at the ramp. Took a couple trys and loaded & unloaded with out any incidents. Have checked all the bilge thats seeable and it appears to be clean whith out any depree.

Thanks everyone,

Larry

csaj4506
03-01-2004, 10:30 PM
This is some great information. I'll have to check the bilge on a regular bases through the first summer. Thanks.

Catdog1
03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Ok, I have one more tip for new owners.

Whenever you disconnect the trailer from the truck, block the wheels (front and back) ---no matter how "flat" the surface appears.

I didn't, and ended up clinging to the bow while taking a wild ride down my driveway stern-first, then after a quick switch in direction, bow-first through the woods. Got lucky and went over an embankment. So, the trailer tongue got driven into the mud and stopped us before we hit anything big.

It took 4 wheel drive, chains, and all my remaining pride to extract the rig (backwards) from the woods. Bad scene.

csaj4506
03-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Excellent advise, thanks.

Informative yet funny. Thanks for sharing.