PDA

View Full Version : Police

Hammer
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I was surfing on our area lake last weekend (Eagle Mt Lake) when the police come up to me and says i was riding at a unsafe distance behind the boat and law reqires 20 ft. He also says its dangerous for the fumes as well. I told him i was going to install a FAE system but he still said its unsafe of coarse he checked me out for everything else i figured that much.He gave me a warning took my name and boat told me if i get stoped again i'll get a ticket i guess i'm going to get one cause i'm not going to stop. I think i would like to get a ticket to talk to the judge to find out.
Keep Surfing !

jester
04-09-2009, 10:25 PM
You have to love the Police. I have hard other states doing the same thing. The way i see it is that if i am not indangering other people then it is my own business what i do or don't do. If would be kind of funny if the same cop stops you the next time. Let us know how everything turns out.

McMoomba
04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Hammer, that stinks. I haven't tried sufing yet but last season I saw a few people on Joe Pool and never heard of any problems. Hope all is well over there withe the wildfires.

moombadaze
04-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Wish the police had been on the lake last night and seen the jackass punk kid who came way to close to my daughter when she fell surfing. I was so pissed-yelling and cursing at him-i bet all the people around the lake heard me.

jmvotto
04-10-2009, 08:34 AM
daze,
they only hassle the people being responsible, they should seriously look at the idiots that don't know the laws and rules. I had a bass fisherman trailing my daughter on skiis at about 50 yds inside the wake. I was pissed.

I can't wait for the police to pull us over, I will have to fill up on my BS, plus get me a surfboard soon.

kaneboats
04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the boat cops were people that grew up on the water and understood the real dangers instead of being taught that if you don't understand it then it's probably illegal so write a ticket?

sandm
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
glad that most of our water cops on the lake I frequent are more about boater education that enforcement.
they have no issues getting involved with reckless boating, following too close, wake issues and conflicts between 2 boaters, but I have never seen them get involved with people out having a good time, minding their own business doing whatever recreational activity they desire.
we have a couple of full time actual sheriffs that are up there all the time, and are cool, the rest on the weekends are volunteers that have a love of the water and want to spend time on it, not just about the paycheck.

ed has some good advice. get the facts from wakeoutlaws and be prepared to stand your ground, get a ticket if need be, and then let the courts and the prosecutors argue against what is becoming one of the fastest growing watersports..

kaneboats
04-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I took a quick look but didn't see the discussion. Could someone post a link directly to the info? Thanks!

Timbuck80
04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear that they are hassleing the wakesurfers down there. I am in Idaho and I remember that they had a News show on wakesurfing from somewhere up in central Idaho I never did hear what came out of it. Here is some information on the Laws.. Good Luck!!!!http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/wakesurfnasbla.php

zabooda
04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Sorry Tim but those are model rules developed by the site and more than likely the rule makers don't even know they exist. I belong to two different organizations that fight restrictions for off road recreational riding and rules that affect dog laws and in both cases there are national chapters and local chapters that work on a common goal. In both cases it requires involvement and it requires money. Without organization, the state and local rule makers will win out just by the sheer numbers who support the laws. Boats that make the large wakes are like cigarette smokers and that is the wake is enjoyable for them but an annoyance for others. I have the same issue with off road riding and the majority of the people want lands to be banned from riding. Our club spends about $2,000 a year to send people to the state capitol to lobby and other clubs do the same and it works in most cases. You need to educate the lawmakers on a one-on-one situation.

You can't test the laws by ticketing as that would be foolish because you can't fight the legality of the law but only that the law was broken.

sandm
04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
yea, zabooda is correct. those are guidelines from some agency, but not the law. there was talk up in northern idaho about banning it, but I never did hear how they fought it. never passed. I have heard it is banned on part of the columbia river over in oregon and again, not sure how it passed. there have been attempts to change, but I have heard they were not successful.
just glad that we haven't seen any issues with it down in southern idaho..

I am guessing that part of the issue lies with uninformed officers/parks&rec/county people, and once it's on an agenda, not enough of a turnout to sway decisions, not enough vendor/manufacturer support to fight(kind of like sema on the auto side), and the bad rap that seems to follow our boats, ie loud music, big wakes, lots of young kids drinking etc...

Spicer318
04-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I was followed by a Police boat last year while surfing. Hottie officers followed us a bit until i got tired and jumped back in the boat where I quickly hid the comp vest I was wearing. All she did is say how sweet it was and wanted to watch more!

I am also lucky enough to have a college buddy that rides all the time who is a DNR officer. Talked to him about sufring and our rails we have in our river. He said in Ohio these are not illegal and he has been working at teaching other officers about surfing and the water sports lifestyle to help us avoid some tickets. Just want to say it is great to know some officers have our side!

SEARK
04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
It's not an issue on our lake yet. It doesn't even get patrolled unless it's the 4th of July. Lots of idiots out that day. Game & Fish more worried about catching people with no fishing license or too small a fish. We get checked about every other year for lifejackets.

tprkolbas
04-12-2009, 06:12 PM
let me start by saying i am a cop and an occasional wakesurfer. i read thru these threads quite a bit in the off season & gather some pretty useful stuff. i've been a member for a few years, though you wouldn't think it based on the few number of posts i've made. but i am going to pipe up a little here because a few of you who choose to bash cops are pissing me off.

first of all, cops don't make the rules, they enforce them. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE PAID TO DO - whether they agree with the law or not. if their boss says enforce the law/ordinance on being towed too closely behind a boat, who are they to tell their boss to piss up a rope. imagine what your boss would do if you told him to pack sand after assigning you a task.

second, the law is the law. if you choose to break it, be prepared to accept the consequences. you have no one to blame but yourself - myself or no one else wants to hear you bitch about a ticket you got if you know what is legal / illegal going into the situation that you got "harassed" over.

third, the cops are there to make the boating experience a positive and safe environment for everyone. i've been a cop for 12 years - no not a water cop. i'll tell you first hand, there are very few of us who like breaking up someone's good time. it all has to do with keeping the good time safe and within the confines of the law.

do i agree with the "no wakesurfing law"? - NO I DON'T, but i'm not going to play "mr. tough guy" if i get pulled over for something illegal either. for those of you loading up on your "BS" when you do get pulled over - get ready for that ticket. i'll also be the first to tell you, as a cop, that if you give me a hard time, i'm going to jack you up for everything i can. polite and apologetic people get the breaks. show me a disorderly person, and i'll show him 50,000 volts. just because you are in a nice inboard that costs more than he makes a year, doesn't mean he won't have the last laugh. for those of you who plan on taking your ticket in court, all i have to say is good luck. one thing i've learned over the years of going to traffic court is ARTICULATION , or justification for the ticket. unless the judge is a wakesurfer himself or his kids do it, you better bring your A game. and if that cop loses, guess what - more than likely he's getting paid your tax dollars to be in court on overtime.

all you guys bitching about the water cops not being there when someone is doing something you don't like also need to understand something - there are only so many cops out there. if there were a cop on every lake during all hours of watersports activities, you'd bitch even more. and when there are only a few out and about, it is like going fishing - you can only catch one fish at a time if you only have one hook.

bottom line - if you don't agree with the laws in your area lobby with your law makers to have them changed or deal with the consequences of breaking them. quit blaming and bashing the cops.

sandm
04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
tprkolbas..
although I agree with almost everything you typed, you more than most, should know that this is the internet and everyone is an ethug on here :)
that 5th paragraph that you typed is exactly the attitude of several cops that I have ran into and the exact reason I fight tickets(am 3 for 3 I might add)..

I think we all know if you show cops respect, some will give it back, but there are many more that won't(bet you work with a few), and all it takes is someone to have that cop for his first experience and the perception is set. cops, imo, should have much thicker skin than most and remember this as they are stopping people, remembering that they may have to undo what some other officer has left them with, but unfortunately, seems that more and more take the attitude of your 5th paragraph..

although I agree with your wording to organize and change the laws, remember that there are sometimes "grey" areas in the laws and the consequences are a ticket from an overzealous cop with an agenda.

kaneboats
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I got no problem with cops enforcing the law. The issue I have is when they step over the line and think they are the law. Most of the people I know in law enforcement are quality people that deserve your respect. But, like in any line of work, there's always a few with an agenda. I'm always polite, and I thank them for doing a job I would not do -- then I waste a half day going to court and getting the case dismissed.

zabooda
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm not a cop but tpr's comments were right on and serves as a lesson on how to act when approached by a cop. If your a smart a** when approached then expect at least a ticket. If you are courteous and respect what they are saying even if you dissagree then you get a warning and then you can persue the issue on land later. If the issue escalates then your off to jail and your boat may be impounded sitting on gravel at an impound lot.

You will be watched on the water after an issue with the law. You fight the laws and the interpretation of the laws on land.

I recently called the marine sheriff on the requirement for operators of boats to have a state operating permit when driving the boat. I have a handful of friends who drive the boat when I ski so I plan to get photocopies of their permits and keep on the boat in case they forgot theirs. I asked the sheriff if photocopies would suffice and he said they would honor those as long as they didn't look altered. So I will have the sheriff's name and supporting information if I am stopped because the law doesn't state how this is managed. The law is being phased in by age but the twenty year olds are included now.

Mikey
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
As the son of retired cop you make some valid points.
As a typical websurfer i think you kinda have to lighten up a bit on your comments or guess what your gonna get bashed all over the place be it here or wherever.ie 50000 volt comment.
I totally realize you have a tough sometimes shitty job, thats why when people ask me why didn't you follow your dads footsteps,i say no F#$%g way. But you have an opinion as do others ,but maybe lighten up a bit. I'm pretty sure your gonna be pissed at my comment or others so reply if you wish.
I commend you but like all walks of life there are good examples and bad. Enjoy lets go boating.

kaneboats
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Stop it. You're making me hungry!

wolfeman131
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Been on our lake only 3 yrs and have been pulled over by the Dept Natural Resources (DNR) guys 2 times. First time, heading home at dusk with the old Chaparrel. My young daughters were up in the bow area and as we zipped past the DNR boat they flipped on the lights and siren. We shut down, my wife starts in on me with the "what did you do?" and I wait for them pull up and write me up some BS ticket. Nope, I'm wrong again - they throw t-shirts at the girls that have badges on them and say "I got caught! With my lifejacket on!" They tell us "Thanks" for having our kids safe and chat for a sec before they race off to bust a jetski with an adult and 2 young kids with NO LIFE JACKETS.

Second time was last year and got a nice, written warning for zinging the kids on the tube behind the jet ski. I was way back in my cove, but they spotted me from the main water. I knew I was in the wrong and explained to the girls why I was wrong and again the guys were real nice and I thanked them for doing their job.

Lawdog
04-14-2009, 10:54 PM
TP has a valid point as does Mikey. I'm in the same boat as TP and work as a Police Officer. Best advice I can give is to be apologetic and understanding. A condescending smart a$$ is definetly getting tickets. A loud intoxicated condescending smart a$$ is getting a new set of wrist jewelry and a complimentary ride to the ole pokey. Now I'm not here to get into a p!ssing contest with any ethugs or anyone else for that matter. I'm just saying that police officers deal with crap day in and day out and when they get a little bit of compassion and respect they are more forgiving.....most of the time :)

Hammer
04-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Man this is good stuff ! By the way i'm always polite to the police on and off the water . At first the officer had a attitude but the more we talked the more he relaxed.He did say if it wasn't for the law i would love to try it i told him to anchor his boat. Its all good ! just keep surfing

yearround
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
i am not involved with law enforcement in any way. no one in my household or immediate family, or extended family to my knowledge.

i am writing this with extreme fear of deletion, and likely no one will ever read it except moderator Ed.

because many of us like to surf, does anyone have any real ideas, solutions, to get the grayness out of the laws so that surfing does not become illegal activity? i am not aware of anything locally for me that makes it illegal, but if some thing becomes illegal in one place, the trend is to follow.

maybe this would be a new thread, how to keep surfing legal