PDA

View Full Version : Basic Stereo upgrade

Hoopskier
04-09-2009, 05:23 AM
I thought I would share my plans on my stereo upgrade. I will have pictures to follow soon. I recently purchased 6 new polk audio DB651 speakers to replace the OEM ones. The new ones look sharp and give the interior a newer look as compared to the originals. I am also planning on adding an amplifier for the speakers

I chose JL audio's M6600 amplifier. It produces 55 watts rms X 6 @ 4 ohms @ 12.5 volts. This will power my in boat speakers. I do not have any speakers on my tower.

Like I said I hope to have some pictures up soon once I have the amp install complete.

jmvotto
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
hoopskier,

I did the same setup, 6 polk dbs, jl m6600 , i added a polk sub in the kick panel and two aerial polkdb tower speakers. multiple setups for flexibility

6-channel marine amplifier
75 watts RMS x 6 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 6 at 2 ohms) at 14.4 volts
55 watts RMS x 6 at 4 ohms (75 watts RMS x 6 at 2 ohms) at 12.5 volts
200 watts RMS x 3 at 14.4 volts (110 watts RMS x 3 at 12.5 volts) at 4 ohms

congrats cant wait to see the pics.

Hoopskier
04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Here are some pictures. Here is my parts list

3/4" plywood
grey marine vinyl
stainless steel screws
Fuse holder
4 gauge power wire
4 gauge gound wire
100 ft of 14 gauge speaker wire

JL M6600 amp (1)
Polk Audio DB651 speakers (6)

I cut my plywood to fit the back side of the bow seat on the pass side. I did not run the board all the way to the floor so I can still use that space if I want for skis and such. I did paint the wood to give it a little extra protection. I then covered it with grey vinyl. I mounted the amp to that since the amp is larger than the backside of the seat. Gave me sapce for the fuse holder also.

You can see in the pictures how it is wired, Just like a conventional car. I am not running a second battery at this point. I ran all new speaker wire. Reason for that is I know the proper gauge and I didn't have to splice into the boat wire harness.

mcdye
04-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Clean look install.

What is the distance from fuse to the battery? I have seen most are like 18" from the battery not sure why. Doing my research as I am getting ready to add an amp and speakers.

I was going to ask about the wiring of the speakers (parrell/serial) but it appears each is on seperate channel.

Hoopskier
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Mc,

The reason for the fuse after the battery is usually to protect the wire between the fuse and the amp. In a car this is a longer distance-for safety purposes such as protect items (amp, wire, surroundings) if something shorts out. Burning 4 gauge wire will start a fire.

I can't remember exactly how long the wire from the fuse to the battey on my setup but it is going to be in the recommened 18" area.

Also this particular amp does not have onboard fuses (no fuses on the sides of the amp). The directions note this and so they require the external fuse.

As far as the speaker wiring goes, no series/parrell. Just 1 speaker per channel.

mcdye
04-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had prefered to place the inline fuse on the backing board with the amp just to make a cleaner install. I would guess having a fuse further away from the battery in a boat would not be a big deal as to a car install.

mustangairchair
04-24-2009, 11:22 PM
i don't understand why you would put the fuse at the amp you are only protecting the wire after the fuse. so in turn the closer you can put your fuse to the battery the better. i have built compatition sterios for 20 years have not heard of putting the fuse by the amp.i have 3 amps 16 speakers in my boat at 2400 watts. and every power line is fused at the battery with no more then a 40 amp fuse.

Hoopskier
04-24-2009, 11:38 PM
i don't understand why you would put the fuse at the amp you are only protecting the wire after the fuse. so in turn the closer you can put your fuse to the battery the better. i have built compatition sterios for 20 years have not heard of putting the fuse by the amp.i have 3 amps 16 speakers in my boat at 2400 watts. and every power line is fused at the battery with no more then a 40 amp fuse.

This amp has no onboard fuses. Are you saying that in a marine application you would not run any fuses? The battery is only a short distance away, just outside the picture frame. I agreed mounting the fuse closer to the battery is better. The spot that I chose and as seen in my picture was the closest mounting point.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=385

mustangairchair
04-25-2009, 01:18 PM
can not see battery in picture. you want the fuse as close to the battery as posiable then if you have a short down the road the fuse will blow and nothing got hot. :D