PDA

View Full Version : FAE Install Questions

csm
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey guys - I just got my FAE, and am trying to do my homework before attempting the install, and have run accross a few questions. I've found some great info on these boards, so hopefully someone has run accross these answers...

I have an '05 Mobius LSV:
1.) I know there are two methods of attaching the hanging bar to the swim platform... Either drilling and tapping a thread, or removing the platform, and bolting through the bracket only. If you remove the platform from the brackets, where does the head of the bolt go when putting the platform back on? Do you have to drill a hole in the platform? Or do you sink the bolt head into the bracket so it is flush?

2.) Is there an ideal position for the hanging bar? Should it be positioned so that the all-threads are exactly vertical? Or should they be leaning slightly towards the boat?

3.) I've read some people mention that they recommend using stainless bolts instead of the all-threads... Does this work pretty well? What length bolt ended up working if so...

Sorry for the brain dump, but I just want to have all of my ducks in a row since the boat is about 45 minutes away from my house... I'm trying to do this in one trip if possible...

Thanks!

maxpower220
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
1. If you detach the brackets, you will need to drill enough space to have the bolt top or nut. I was the first to drill and tap. Either way, you will drill into your platform a little.

2. It should be vertical. You will need to do a trail and adjust method to do that.

3. I used the all thread. You will need a bolt that fits (not trying to be a smart*ss), but I believe each application will be different. In my case, a 5.5" bolt probably would have worked. I found the all thread to be easily adjusted.

I think I spent about 6 hours total over 3 days on mine. Make sure that you have a lot of tools. Do a search for FAE install, I have a lot of pics.

maxpower220
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6631&highlight=install

Scottys
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Ok this is going to show my ignorance but what is an FAE and what's the upside to having one?

smokedog2
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Fresh Air Exhaust – lower noise and lower CO (no more sun headaches).

You can tap the swim platform with a ball peen hammer, I did that and put an aluminum shim on the bracket around the bolt head.

My mile long bolts are angled; I could not get them straight.

I drilled a couple screws through the rubber hose into the plastic exhaust pipe off the boat and put the hose clamp over that.

I have pictures if you search posts by me and FAE

SD2

csm
04-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys -

maxpower - I've looked at the post of your installation many times both before and after I posted these questions... it's a very helpful post... I've never actually tapped a thread before, so I'm not sure I trust myself enough for my first try to be on my swim platform, so I'll probably go the route that EdG describes. But your pictures really help with understanding the whole installation process..

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get started, but thanks for the input so far!

moombadaze
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
how much is a fae?

maxpower220
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Tapping a thread is very easy. You buy the tap and drill bit together in a pack. You drill the hole and then you screw the tap into the hole. The tap is tapered, so it is very easy. I spray a little WD-40 on as I go and every few turns, I reverse a little to get the shavings out. The tap process will take about 10 mins for both holes.
Either way, the result will be the same.

Thanks guys -

maxpower - I've looked at the post of your installation many times both before and after I posted these questions... it's a very helpful post... I've never actually tapped a thread before, so I'm not sure I trust myself enough for my first try to be on my swim platform, so I'll probably go the route that EdG describes. But your pictures really help with understanding the whole installation process..

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get started, but thanks for the input so far!

KT Mobius
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Is there a big difference with the FAE? (engine noise)

maxpower220
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I didn't have to fart at Christmas service, maybe I will at Easter service.

csm
04-09-2009, 07:17 PM
maxpower - on your setup, once you've tapped a thread, does the bracket/swim platform basically act as a nut? So your bolt goes directly through the hanging bar, through the spacer, into the thread, and that's it? If so, did you use any silicone or loctite on these bolts?

maxpower220
04-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes, that is it. I used loctite on the threads and silicone between the bracket and the swim platform.

csm
04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Did anyone else have trouble getting the aluminum tube/insert slipped in far enough into the exhaust outlet? At first, I couldn't even get it into the plastic part of the outlet, but after a little force, I finally did... But now, I'm pretty sure it's hitting something else metal once it gets to the interior part of the exhaust. It won't go any further no matter what. It's still sticking out too far to install the FAE properly.

Anyone else run into this? Is there something I can do to get it in further, or can I slide the rubber sleeve that is on the FAE a little further off so that it will butt up to the boat?

And just to clarify, the inserts that came with mine are different than the ones that are in maxpowers post... The instructions that I received for a moomba just require you to slip these circular aluminum tubes into your existing exhaust once you take the flappers off. There are no screws or anything that go along with this step.

pickle311
04-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Is it me or did the price of the FAE increase? When I had my Outback I could have sworn they were around $300. I was about to order one for my LSV and saw it was like $450, ouch. I'll probably still get one, just not as soon as I thought I was getting it. It's hard to save for a vacation and get ready for boating season at the same time.

csm
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Either the install has changed, or our boats are different... My flapper is only held on by a hose clamp. The flapper goes around a black, circular exhaust outlet that is held on by 6 screws. The instructions say to remove the flapper, and then insert the tube directly into the exhaust without removing the outlet that is held on by the screws. It's literally just a round aluminum tube, there are no screw holes, or anything else. I did call Larry and he said he'd never heard of anyone having problems with the tube being too big, so I'm going to take some pictures for him...

csm
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Well, I was able to complete the installation yesterday. I still couldn't get the aluminum insert in as far as the instructions mentioned, but it was far enough in that it's not going to come out... even if I wanted it to apparantly. With just a slight adjustment to the rubber sleeve, everything fit perfectly.

Once the FAE was positioned correctly, the rest of the installation took about 1 1/2 hours... Luckily, I had someone with me to help, because positioning the hanging bar, and making marks for drill holes would have been really, really difficult by myself.

The only slight hiccup was that I wanted to tap a thread, but the tap I bought was the wrong size. I guess I had an airhead moment at home depot, because I bought the size that would work for the all-threads, and not the smaller bolts used for the swim platform. Oh well, It was super-easy to have the bolt head fit in the drilled hole in the swim platform, so we just went that route instead.

Thanks for everyones input... We were under a bit of a time constraint, so I didn't get pictures of each step of the process, but I'll try to post some pictures of the finished product later this week... Now I just can't wait to not hold my breath while surfing.