PDA

View Full Version : Wake Shape

Shoemaker Mobius
02-25-2004, 04:38 PM
We have just started wakeboarding. We have a 2004 Mobius LSV with stock ballast (single sack in ski locker). I have noticed that it seems difficult to get a nice balanced wake on both sides of the the boat. The wake on the right side of the boat seems to consistently be nicely shaped, but the wake on the left side, especially at speeds in the 15-18 mph range seems to be washed out. Filling the ballast did not seem to make much difference in the wake shape except the wake was taller. The one thing that seemed to make a difference was when my wife and youngest son sat opposite the drivers seat on the left side. Normally, my wife alone sits there and the riding son sits on the left side of the boat in the back. With son & wife opposite the drivers seat, both wakes seemed pretty well shaped, especially pulling my older son in the 19-20 mph range. Does anyone have any hints, tips, clues on what you should look at when one wake or the other seems washed out? Thanks for any help.

jburnside
02-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Shoe,
Think about adding some weight with either lead or sand bags to equalize the boat. You mentioned that the wake evens out when you have both your wife and son on the observers seat. How much does your son weigh? Can that amount easily be added with lead or sand? I would store it under the observers seat and then you can always move it around to find the best set-up. Trail and error really seems to be the only way to do it. Also, is it possible to add 2 sacs to your rear storage compartments and hook them up through your existing ballast system? That would seriously amp things up for you and it might even make it easier to even the wake out since most of your weight would be at the stern of the boat. Good luck!

Shoemaker Mobius
02-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. My wife and son about equal my weight. I knew I needed them both on the left side of the boat, but I was surprised that moving my son forward about 5 feet in the boat seemed to stop the left side wake from being washed out. Are these really that finicky? I'd like to add the sacks next to the engine, but they cost about $750 dealer installed. I'm not even close to capable enough to do it myself. Maybe next year.

jburnside
02-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Shoe,
Consider buying aftermarket bags and sitting them in the rear storage compartments and use a handheld over the side of the boat pump to fill and empty the bags. Not nearly as convenient or fast, but it is very cheap and easy to do. That's what I am doing this year with my Outback LS since we didn't order it with factory ballast. My experience with the wake on many different boats is that they are all finicky. Try the moveable weight also. I think you'll be suprised. Good luck.

hvossos
02-27-2004, 03:29 PM
15-18 mph is way to slow!!! The faster you go the less washout you have. I would recommend nothing less then 19 mph. The more weight you add the more wash out you get. I have the Gravity Game bags in my xlv (2000 lbs) and I wakeboard at 24 mph.

Shoemaker Mobius
02-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks. My youngest son (age 12) is just learning - last Saturday was his first try, so we go in the 15-17 mph range just for him. My other son (age 15) has about 3 weeks of wakeboarding experience so we're up to the 19 - 21 mph range with him. We are also using approx. a 65 ft rope for both (75 ft rope backed off 15 ft, then about a 5 ft handle length). The goal is to get them both up to 20 - 22 mph range as soon as they are comfortable with that speed.

NateLSV
03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Shoe,

I have a Mobius LSV 2003 with the Gravity Ballast. I have been wakeboarding for several years, and ride with some of the top riders in AZ. We have read your entries, and agree that there are several things that you can do to help your wake and help your boys learn to rip it up on the water. 1st of all, shorten the rope for your boys. If you are going to be riding between 18-21 mph, you dont really need to have that long of a rope when you are learning. Shortening the rope will also help them clear the wake easier and build confidence. As they progress lengthen the rope.

Wakes are easily manipulated by people and ballast. If you can simply move your son to one side and shape up your wake, do that it is much cheaper than ballast. Plus your boys dont sound like they really need the massive wakes that the LSV is capable of throwing with extra ballast right now. I have demo'ed a lot of boats on the market, and I have noticed that one side of the wake is usually a little sloppier than the other. It should clear up when the rider is cutting and appproaching on that side of the wake. If it doesn't talk to your dealer. Also, this is a pricey add-on, but it will help a lot. It is the hydraulic wake plate. It will clean the wake-up a lot. You have a great boat, and it will meet your needs plus give you all the fun you expect. Have fun and ride hard!

Shoemaker Mobius
03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
NateLSV,
Thanks for the advice. One of the deal items we got by buying the boat at the Austin Boat Show was 4 free accessories - we chose the bimini top, wake plate, cover, and the three year extended warranty. We also added Perfect Pass. The wake plate, bimini top and Perfect Pass are being installed this week, so this weekend will be our first shot with the wake plate and Perfect Pass. I have read several postings on the wake plate and how good they are, but I'm not sure what to expect. Some of the postings seem to indicate that all the wake plate does is allow you to adjust the boat plane to accomodate both slalom skiing and wakeboarding. They also seemed to indicate the wake plate allows for easier cruising. Can you explain what the effects are of the wake plate when in the down position and the up position (and in between)?? And, what the various positions do as to wake size, shape, etc.? Thanks.

NateLSV
03-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Shoe,

First of all, let me say YOU ARE GONNA LOVE PERFECT PASS! I dont have it on my boat, but I have riden with boats with it and it is an awesome accessory.
As far as the wake plate goes, it is simply a "trim" like you would find on an inboard-outboard boat. Many boats without the wake plate will throw a nice clean wake, but you have to stay between a certain speed to keep the wake clean. I have ridden behind Super Air Nautiques, Malibus, and Mastercrafts (all excellent and top of the line boats) with the same problem. They throw massive wakes, but if you are not riding at the right speed, then you will get a lot of wash on the top of the wake. The wake plate will clean up the crest of the wake and make it sharp even when you are riding at slower speeds, which is a great benefit because I like to learn my harder tricks at slower speeds, since it hurts less to crash at slower speeds. HAHAHA!
When the plate is in the down position, it is almost like not even having the plate on the boat, and the boat will accelerate normally. As you build speed and the boat begins to plane on the water then you can raise the wake plate, and the boat will ride better in the water. Also bringing up the plate will clean up the edges of the wake. If you try to accelerate with the plate up you will feel the boat sag into the water and be really sluggish on the start. When I have my boat really weighted down, I will actually see the edges of the wake stand up about 1-2 inches as I raise the plate. If you raise the plate too far, you will round out the wakes edges too much and the wake will actually appear round instead of crisp. Also with the plate raised too high the bow of the boat will start "bucking" or jumping in and out of the water. After playing with it for a few minutes, you will find the perfect setting for your boat while pulling a wakeboarder. Depending on how much weight is in the boat will also change the level of angle that you need on the plate to get the same results that you are used to.
After a few trips to the lake, you will be able to tell if you are going the right speed for the biggest wake from your boat by simply looking at the wake. You won't even need your speedo after a while. But with perfect pass, you can set the speed and the rider will be in heaven. Congrats on the new boat, and if you have any further questions, you can get me here or at [email protected]. Have fun at the lake!

suvlako
07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
I did an experiment with people in the boat and where they were positioned and that directly affects the shape of te wake. Rule= washed out side needs more weight. Just slide people around in boat. Hope that helps.