PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on snap on covers

slalomskier
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I know it really becomes a personal preference thing but we have tried the mooring cover that covers the whole boat but it's cumbersome to put on while the boat is in the water and we seemed to get a lot of water puddling and soaking through. We leave our boat out all summer long at a dock with out a hoist/canopy.

Anyways, so we are thinking about a 2 piece snap on cover and were wondering about people thoughts on them. We are excited about the opportunity to leave the front cover on and stay out of the wind - up in Michigan it's cold for a while. (I'm jealous of all you southern folks talking about first start ups.)

Also if anyone has material preferences, opinions are welcome. The local canvas shop recommend Aqualon over sunbrella as it is more water proof and vents provide the breathability. She did say that the aqualon will fade more than the sunbrella but the overall performance is worth the visual appearance tradeoff.

Thoughts?

jmvotto
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
we love the OEM cover but it sits in the hoist under another cover(not shown) The bow and cockpit cover can be stowed on the boat without any problems in the OBV. If i store the boat without the hoist cover , i would probably water proof it every year, now i should do it every other year.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=111

deerfield
04-08-2009, 12:11 AM
slalomskier - I have the full cover. It's a pain, but still my preference over a snap two-piece. It covers the entire boat, including the deck, keeping it cleaner. Bought it new from the factory with the boat in 2007. - Deerfield

wolfeman131
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I have the 2 piece snap in cover and like that we can keep the bow cover on when we cruise the lake when it's cooler outside. However, I don't like that the 2 piece cover leaves some of the boat exposed and it gets dirty with the spider droppings that I have to clean off every morning during the summer. I'm also not a big fan of all the snaps as they get wax buildup in them that I get out with a toothbrush (yes, I am anal) and I've caught myself on them a few times when sliding off into the water.

So, I'm going to have both. I want an extended cover will go over the swim platform and protect the back from the sun. I have a fixed dock so I can work from both sides of the boat to get it secured.

My $0.02 is that both styles have their advantages.

ian ashton
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I love our snap-on cover, and we also keep our boat in the water all summer. I made the decision to get the snap on the day we ordered our boat when I saw the full cover on a boat at the dealer I wasn't at all impressed.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2383&stc=1&d=1239212554

jbheuerman
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I've got the snap on covers and the full cover. I use the full cover for long term storage to keep it cleaner and the snap-on's during the summer and when trailering. Works out pretty good.

Razzman
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I'll go with a full cover everytime for one reason only ... i don't want snaps all over my boat.

Sled491
04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Razzman makes a common point. But I have a full cover and my boat sits on a lift all summer as well. I'm going to get the 2 pc snap on cover as the full cover is a pain in the a%$ to get on and off + as mentioned by others the bow cover makes it a little warmer in the early and late seasons.

hotrod62
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I find the full cover not that bad to put on and take off. To take off I start from the Swim platform and roll it up towards the bow while I'm in the boat. To put on is just the reverse. I did not want the hassles of snaps pulling out of the fiberglass and tearing off the canvas after a year or two.

sandm
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I have the snap, and wish I had the full cover, but I only use the cover for storage in the driveway between sessions or in the garage for the winter. we don't leave ours in the water overnite unless camping. the snaps just don't do the boat justice imo, however if I left the boat in the water or on a lift, I would think the snap cover is easier to put on and can be done in the boat and out onto the platform..

as stated, both have advantages, but if you don't leave the boat on the water during the summer, I'd vote for the full cover...

deepcove
04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I have a 2 piece snap on cover. i prefer it because you can use only the bow cover on those cold mornings and i have the poles to put under the bow and main cover when it rains. The big cover tends to puddle and i find it cumbersome. Also I moore my boat so the snap on covers jsut make more sense. The down side is the snaps and you do not completely cover the colored gel coat which of course fades quicker over time.

BTW Sunbrella material is what you want to go with.

slalomskier
04-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, I dropped the boat off today to get the snap cover installed. I ended up going with the Sunbrella afterall. Apparently there is now "New generation" sunbrella which is more waterproof but still maintains it's breathability.

I'll let you know how it works in a few weeks.

eseebeck
05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Heres a good one for all of you. I have both covers, well i purchased both covers. the snap on camE with the boat. I like it for trailering and it is easy to put on. not a big fan of the snaps and after only a few months, some snaps are loose and some have pulled right out.

I ordered a full cover when i bought the boat last june, still haven't got it. it was a little of $400 through tthe dealer. factory moomba cover. I wanted the full cover to keep the sun off the boat and protect it from the UV rays.

Dealer keeps ordering the cover, it is supposed to be shipped directly to me, but I don't rec. the cover. Any ideas of who to contact at SKiers Choice on this matter.

moombadaze
05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
eseebeck, what boat (year,model) do you have?

kennedy
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Living up NORTH it is a MUST to have. The cool weather and a heater is a must to be able to get out and enjoy your boat. Even in the cool mornings in JULY and AUGUST it is nice to have.

I am taking my MOOMBA XLV GG to a local canvas shop and having them custom install a cockpit cover and a bow cover. He said to install the bow cover would cost $500-750 to do. The cock-pit cover would run $1800 – 2400 pending on the type of canvas I want to use. I am going with the extra heavy duty canvas because we get a lot of rain and wind and do not want to have to worry about the cover. And sometimes we go on trips and pull our boat down the highway for over 300 miles so we want to throw the stuff in the boat and GO!!!!!

That is my thoughts for the cool north dakota country!!!

;)

eseebeck
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I have an '08 Outback. Should go in the water tommorrow if Junior's baseball game doesn't take too long.

Sled491
05-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Living up NORTH it is a MUST to have. The cool weather and a heater is a must to be able to get out and enjoy your boat. Even in the cool mornings in JULY and AUGUST it is nice to have.

I am taking my MOOMBA XLV GG to a local canvas shop and having them custom install a cockpit cover and a bow cover. He said to install the bow cover would cost $500-750 to do. The cock-pit cover would run $1800 – 2400 pending on the type of canvas I want to use. I am going with the extra heavy duty canvas because we get a lot of rain and wind and do not want to have to worry about the cover. And sometimes we go on trips and pull our boat down the highway for over 300 miles so we want to throw the stuff in the boat and GO!!!!!

That is my thoughts for the cool north dakota country!!!

;)

Are you nuts!! This guy is raping you. The bow cover should be around 200 and the cockpity cover about 500 max!.. For my Outback my bow cover will cost 180.00 and that's for Sunbrella from a guy who has been around forever and did my last boat, not some fly by nighter.

slalomskier
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Well we have had the cover for about 2 weeks and a lot of rain.

But the inside has been dry. The cover cost about $700 in total - bow and cockpit cover.

We're happy with the decision so far.

Sled491
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Well we have had the cover for about 2 weeks and a lot of rain.

But the inside has been dry. The cover cost about $700 in total - bow and cockpit cover.

We're happy with the decision so far.

That was a custom job?