PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheel Bolt Pattern

KT Mobius
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Im looking to upgrade the wheels on my trailer and Im not sure of the bolt pattern. Has anybody upgraded there wheels and would you happen to know the wheel pattrn?

RobertJ
04-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Kelly it should be in your paperwork from the dealer. I got a booklet on my axles with all the original owners materials. You can also check the tags on the inside of the trailer frame by the bow. Here is a link to the upgraded wheels you could get from the trailer mfg. www.boatmateparts.com/products/Wheel-tag-Wheel/

oshelton
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
If your trailer is a single axle, the wheel is a 15"x6" and bolt pattern is 6 x 5.5". If a tandem axle, the wheel is a 14"x6" and bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5".

One of the best selection of standard size trailer wheels I have seen is at http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/Trailer-Wheels_c_41.html.

1LOKMOOMBA
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Since we are on the subject anybody have the spare mounted on the trailer, if so what is the offset?

moombadaze
04-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Ed, The single axle 08 trailer was a 16" wheel-dont remember 100% positive but think it was a 6 bolt pattern.
The double axle 09 trailer is a 14" wheel and think its a 5 bolt pattern.
My memory is really fuzzy on this one-but the 03 single axle had a 15" wheel?? and a 5 bolt? pattern

Hoopskier
04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I have an 03 trailer and if I remember correctly I have 6 lug wheels. I would have to run out and double check though. Figuring out a bolt pattern is not that hard just measure with a ruler or tape measure.

The number of lug nuts is easy, just count. Here is a link to measure lug nut spacing. Most 6 lug nut bolt patterns have a 5.5" spacing (most Common)

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Razzman
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Having spent at least 15 years in the tire & wheel biz in my youth i can tell you all 14" 5 lug trailer wheels are a 4.5" bolt circle, hence the 5-4.5" pattern. Which for those in the need to know is also the same as Ford passenger cars since god knows when. So, as long as the wheel rating, offset and center hole is accomodating you could put any 14" ford wheel you want on the trailer. So like Ford made some real sweet oem alloy wheels that can be had cheap in wrecking yards. :D

The most common 6 lug is 6-5.5" as stated, which also happens to be just about any 1/2" truck for eons. Same as above as long as wheel rating, offset and center hole is accomodating you could put any 15" or 16" wheel you want on the trailer. Center hole should not be an issue with 6 lug wheels. Most later model 6 lugs are 17" or 18" though so you'd have to do a plus 1 or 2 setup to maintain ride height and clearances.

To measure the bolt circle simply take a tape measure and measure from one hole across the center hole to another and you'll get your bc. Most importantly watch your backspace or offset, you'll want a negative offset as compared to a positive to keep it under the trailer fenders.

oshelton
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Ed is correct. Single axle trailers for the 2001 model year and prior were equipped with 14" wheels with 5x4.5" bolt patterns (read as 5 lug with 4.5" bolt circle). Single axle trailers for the 2002 and 2003 model year were equipped with 15" wheels with 5x4.5" bolt pattern (yes, that is correct: 15" with 5x4.5" pattern). Beginning with the 2004 model year and forward the single axle trailers are equipped with 15" wheels with 6x5.5" bolt pattern.

Except for a very few tandem trailers all tandems are equipped with wheels, whether 14" or 18", that have 5x4.5" bolt patterns. A very few tandem trailers have been made with 6x5.5" bolt patterns to accomodate custom 18" or 20" wheels that are not available with the standard 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

A short summary: 5 lug = 4.5" bolt pattern; 6 lug = 5.5" bolt pattern. The wheel size (14", 15", 18", etc...) can be found forged into the back side of the wheel or just taken from the last two digits in the tire size (i.e., 205/75R14 = 14" wheel).

All of the above applies to BoatMate Trailers for Supra and Moomba only and may not be true of trailers from other manufacturers.

Dpankau
03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
any questions regarding trailer wheel offset, or bolt patterns, etc :
http://recstuff.com/trailerfacts.aspx

check out the anatomy of a trailer wheel link