PDA

View Full Version : XLV surf setup

Mabel Lake XLV
04-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Sorry for another surf ballast question but I'm trying to get a great surf for this year. We surfed all last year with pretty good results but I'm sure I can get the wake better this year. I have a 2005 XLV with Gravity III ballast system, but I'm considering adding additional weight. Can someone with an XLV give me their thoughts on ballast and wakeplate? Thank you.

kaneboats
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
That's a tasty wave all right!

Loonytik
04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I ride with a 750# in the rear locker....350# behind the driver seat and 350# up front. Obviously to whichever side you are surfing. We sometimes add lead and pull the cooler of beer to that side as well.

If there is more people in the boat I have the biggest person sit on the sun deck on the side the rider is on. The serve as the rope man and weight.

Mabel Lake XLV
04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks very much for the great info. Couple of other things - how much ballast do you use up front - obviously with the Gravity III ballast system I can put a fair bit of weight up front but what are you using for surfing? I am planning to grab a 750 lb bag for the rear locker - any suggestions or will a 750 lb Fly High bag do the trick? My boat is 300 miles away so can anyone give me the maximum dimensions for the bag in the rear locker. I appreciate your help.

SoTX
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I have the same boat. I have the 750lbs balast in the rear compartment and under the seat right behind the driver I have a 1,000lbs balast and ofcourse I make everyone sit on the drivers side. The wave is like a Sunami. Goofy footers only on my boat.

Sled491
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I have the same boat. I have the 750lbs balast in the rear compartment and under the seat right behind the driver I have a 1,000lbs balast and ofcourse I make everyone sit on the drivers side. The wave is like a Sunami. Goofy footers only on my boat.

A man after my own heart. Wouldn't life be better if we all surfed Goofy:)

Mabel Lake XLV
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
My whole family is goofy as well.....so that works well for me. One last question - how much ballast do you have in your front locker?

kaneboats
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I have some goofy people in my family too-- don't think they surf though.

Roachman
04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Man I need to hook up with you TX goofy riders I can never find any other goofy riders.

SoTx do you have any pics of your surf wake?

SoTX
04-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry no pictures

Chad M
04-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I think you're just seeing the extra weight of the driver on the starboard wake - you're going to need more beer on the port side to compensate. Port wake is definitely cleaner due to what Ed said about prop rotation. You may need to vary wakeplate setting from starboard to port too to get the cleanest wake.

Chad

jasonwm
04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
How much ballast do you use up front - obviously with the Gravity III ballast system I can put a fair bit of weight up front but what are you using for surfing?
How much weight you put up front will depend on how much weight you put in the back.

I am planning to grab a 750 lb bag for the rear locker - any suggestions or will a 750 lb Fly High bag do the trick
A Pro X Series Fat Sac will work well. Obviously you'll want to stick with Fly High's products, as they will interface with the same fittings that are currently in your boat. I Fat Sac will completely fill your rear locker, so you'll have the most possible weight back there. One of those with 2 W736 fittings and it's plug and play with your Gravity III rear bags.

Trashy
04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks very much for the great info. Couple of other things - how much ballast do you use up front - obviously with the Gravity III ballast system I can put a fair bit of weight up front but what are you using for surfing? I am planning to grab a 750 lb bag for the rear locker - any suggestions or will a 750 lb Fly High bag do the trick? My boat is 300 miles away so can anyone give me the maximum dimensions for the bag in the rear locker. I appreciate your help.
I also have an XLV with the 750 lb bag in the rear locker. The dimensions of the bag are 20"x20"x50", made by fly high. When you get your new bag make sure you get two Fly High 3/4" Flo-Rite Quick Release Connect also.

Mabel Lake XLV
04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My two new 750's have arrived and if the snow ever stops, I will get them installed and try out the new system! Thanks again to everyone.

moombacoach
05-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I have had 5 XLV's and have played with the wake a ton. There are a couple setups I use now. One is where all the weight is hidden under the seats. Here is how that goes
1100 lbs in center storage
750 lbs on either side of storage
400 lbs behind driver seat that is linked to the 750 so I use original pumps to fill and empty
400 lbs under observation seat that is also linked to the port bag for easy fill

So when riding on the starboard side I have the left rear bag filled to about 550 lbs; the front filled full 1100 lbs; the whole starboard side filled to the max 1150 to 1200 lbs; the wake plate just above the all the way up line. I surf at 13.5 to 13.7 The wake is super long and huge. Now if I really want to get down and dirty I fill my 900 lbs bag that fits on the floor in the rear of the boat and you take the wake to a whole new realm.

www.thewildexperience.com

jmvotto
05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Russ is the man, I watched you last year on the 4th of July weekend giving lessons in front of our lake house on Keuka Lake in less than desirable weather, all day long . My hats off to determination. this year I am signing up, I talked to Ryan at morgans last week and was not sure which weekend. so now i am getting in early no the schedule is out. Btw we were in the sand and black moomba OBV watching the show last 4th. ( lightning was a little close on Sunday)

Ed, this is the alias board i was talking about, i better get mine soon. they only have one for "husky' guys 5 footer. Then Russ can teach me on his wall of water:mrgreen:

moombacoach
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Sorry it was late last night when i posted.

What i do on port side for my friends is
Front ballast 1100 lbs
Left Rear 750 lbs
Under Observation Seat 400 lbs
Under cooler seat 200 lbs
Then depending on how steep the wake I will add weight to starboard side to make smooth transition.

You can get the wake so tall it has strait vert which is great for pulling airs, but will toss you if you just want to cruse.

Russ Wilde

moombacoach
05-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I would love to! Only thing is i leave for my tour May 15th. When i get back I will be down. I have been out the last couple weeks fighting the wind. Today was an excellent day thou for wakekiting. When I get back I can let you try the shadowbox out to find out how high you really are going.

Russ Wilde

moombacoach
05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
What size kite did you get? It is so much fun! Even when you are getting the same amount of air, because you float for so long.

Russ Wilde