PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cleaning.

newty
04-03-2009, 02:09 PM
What is your experience with cleaning the carpet in your boat? I had the dealer steam clean it and it didn't look much different then it did when I took it in. Its not stained or dirty but it doesn't have that rich new look. It also seems to stay matted down and has no life. I'm sure its from traffic and oils from feet and sunblock etc.
Are there any detail secrets that you may have that would help me out?

Thanks

mimoomba
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Ya know, I've noticed that in my boat too. But then decided the hell with it, just means I'm enjoying instead of keeping it showroom for the next guy.
Don't get me wrong I like mine clean and take good care, but somethings I've learned to roll with. Old age sinking in I guess:-P

Scottys
04-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I've had some success by using automotive capet cleaner that typically comes in a spray can. I work the foam in by hand with a medium stiff brush, let it dry and vaccuum it up using a hand held dirt devil with a rotating brush. I't doesn't look show room new but does seem to pull up the map somewhat. Hope this helps.

newty
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I hear you MiMoomba! But my OCD haunts me when I try to let it go.
Pressure washing is great for you southerners, but for the great moldy Northwest I dont dare.
I may tackle it when things warm up. I've also heard of using fabric softener with a light detergent prior to pressure washing. It may help with the matting, what do you think?
Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Beuler?:lol:

jmvotto
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I bought one of those steam sharks to do the grout in my kitchen. I will give that a try. Oxi clean with a bucket of warm water and a stiff brush should work well too.

newty
04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
JM, yea let me know what you find.

Razzman
04-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Remember one thing about this carpet, it's rubber backed. IN fact VERY thinly rubber backed so i'm not so sure i'd use a steam cleaner if i was you or you might end up with a very wrinkled mess or areas where fibers are pulling out! If in doubt look at an edge of the carpet under the helm or somewhere like it.

I have not yet been able to bring back marine carpet to look like it was new, nature of the beast. I've used spray carpet cleaner or a mild soap and lightly scrubbing with a soft brush and while the carpet is spotless and the nap looks good, one outting and it's flat again. :(

Again i would caution how you clean it because if you prematurely wear it out and have to replace it your really hosed unless you seam it due to the way these boats are built.

MANDMJMOOMBA
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Thats Why It Is A Good Idea To Get The Big Floor Mat As An Option Or After Freom The Dealer......i Had One On My Old Malibu...take It Out And Clean It....like Foor Mats In Your Car...

kaneboats
04-14-2009, 10:41 AM
That's one of the smartest things I've heard on here. Why don't we use floormats for the highest traffic areas? You can pull them out, spray them off and park them in the sun. You can custom cut a floormat or carpet runner to fit and just about any color is available. I'll have to think this over. They'll have to be heavy enough not to blow out but that's about the only drawback I see.

Razzman
04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
For the life of me i can't remember who it was but a company was/is making a complete over carpet that just lays in place and is bordered all the way around. I'll have to see if i can find that again.

kaneboats
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Just yesterday I gave my opinion to someone on here that you can't go over the old carpet. Why not if you can pull it out and clean it?

MANDMJMOOMBA
04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
There Is The Option From Moomba...they Call It The Drop In Carpet...malibu Calls It A "carpet Saver"....it Is Basically A Big Floor Mat That Goes Over Your Boats Carpet.....the Malibu One Even Had A Border And Those Little Tiny Plastic Teeth Like Your Car Floor Mats On The Back.......gets Dirty You Pull It Out ..clean And Drop It Back In..im Gonna Get One When We Order Our Moomba....

jmvotto
04-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Why dont they install snap out carpets like others do (most runabouts have them now) So if i have to replace the carpet at some point it will surely be a snap out carpet.

my 50-cent opinion

Razzman
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm trying to figure that one out, how to replace that is. The top & bottom of the hull are put together after the carpet is installed. So how do you replace it if the whole deck is sitting on it? If you cut it out then it's still going to be under the deck and if you yank it out from under then you have a gap and potential rattles.

kaneboats
04-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Cut it. Seal it. Snap it. But you'll need a custom fit snap carpet to go in there. I like the floormat idea. Pull it out, clean it and hang it up while running the fan over the old carpet.

Razzman
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Cut it. Seal it. Snap it. But you'll need a custom fit snap carpet to go in there. I like the floormat idea. Pull it out, clean it and hang it up while running the fan over the old carpet.

Well like i said unless you yank the old stuff completely out you'll have it showing from under the vertical walls.

I never use anything to dry the carpet, just let it dry naturally and i've never had an issue on any of my boats. Maybe it's because i don't have the humidity ya'll do in Florida?

Sled491
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I like the snap in carpet. I don't understand why so many are against it.

I had the same beef with the carpet in my 07. They sold me that this new carpet being installed in the 07's was way better and would keep it's look longer. By the end of my 1st summer it looked like any other boat carpet. If some one could create some kind of majical carpet fluffer upper, I'd be the 1st in line to buy one!

moombadaze
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
And I will be second in line

ericmack459
08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
I used Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner. They were a little expensive, but they did a great job and I think it was worth it!

Razzman
08-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Talk about bring back a dead horse! Some of the guys on wakeworld are soaking the carpet and scrubbing with Oxy Ckean then pressure wadhing from the front to the bilge then shop vac up the rest. Sounds crazy but they do it every year.

kaneboats
08-31-2013, 11:00 AM
I noticed mine last time out looks like it belongs in a 20 year old boat (or 20 year old's boat). I think I'm gonna pressure wash it next time I get home early.

saskyrider
08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
I just take whole floor up.. seat and all threw it in my truck box and went to the car wash..... I hand scrubbed in oxy clean let it sit then hosed the hell out of it at the car wash... it works well for keeping it clean but made no difference on keeping it fluffy. .. mine is flat as a pancake...

from Muh droid .....

uniwarking
09-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Any other tips and tricks? My '13 has the snap out style carpet from syntec. Their website just says use household detergent... that's pretty vague... I'm sure some are better than others and some might even cause damage. I could see heavy detergent and power washing pulling dye from the fibers as well...

FamilyMatters
09-10-2013, 10:41 AM
I found my boat in 2010, it had 30 hours on it and the guy said he had taken it out 5 times. The Carpet was already flat and looked Old. Ive used 3 or 4 different carpet cleaners. It's clean but nothing restores the nap. Now the adhesive is letting go and the carpet just rolls down from the top of the walls. Ive used a double sided carpet tape, but it's not heavy enough so I just push it back up when it rolls down.
I did ride in an Epic 23V last week and it has like the Sea Deck Material through out and says you can just rinse it out and go!! I bet that is the future solution!

89PROSTAR
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
I use a carpet cleaner with cold water once or twice a year, usually with very little detergent if any at all. I have found simple green helps with spots. In between I shop vac then use a rubber horse brush to bring the nap back. It' doesn't look brand new anymore but it looks pretty good. Yes, a horse grooming brush.

loudsubz
09-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I just make a weak solution of LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner and spread it around with a brush, and then rinse off, works good.

davidrick
01-31-2018, 02:08 PM
I know this discussion is bit old but i just want some suggestions regarding your experience with Carpet Cleaners
I was Looking For the best Carpet cleaner And some questions regarding their use so i found this discussion forum.Can Anyone please Suggest Which brand is the best for Safe carpet cleaning?
i read in another discussion that your carpet cleaner may damage if its not of good quality. which is the safest nd good Carpet Cleaner need serious suggestion please.

kaneboats
01-31-2018, 02:30 PM
Forget about it. Go with hydroturf or miner's moss and never look back.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?28665-Carpet-repalcement-2008-LSV&highlight=miner%27s+hydroturf

BT_48170
01-31-2018, 04:33 PM
This is the one I use, it works really well. I also use it in our vehicles, no problems with carpet separating or color fasting using warm water and minimal cleaner solution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DBRFBK/ref=asc_df_B008DBRFBK5355280/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B008DBRFBK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140452627&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17646797861665252118&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016895&hvtargid=pla-272260392907

RC_Hinojosa
02-02-2018, 11:02 AM
What is the best stuff for cleaning GatorStep/SeaDek type foam flooring?

smorris7
02-02-2018, 11:59 AM
What is the best stuff for cleaning GatorStep/SeaDek type foam flooring?

Warm water, dish washing detergent and a soft bristle brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
02-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Warm water, dish washing detergent and a soft bristle brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir!

parrothd
02-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Use a shop vacuum after scrubbing, it'll look new! Opps that's for carpet.. Lol.