PDA

View Full Version : using a flush kit

jclay5
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok so I de-winterized my boat today and I was using the flush kit to test and make sure she fired up. My question is how long does it take for the water to circulate through the engine and out the exhaust? I had the boat fired up for maybe 15-20 seconds and water was not coming out of the exhaust yet so I shut her down. I'm just hoping I don't have a pump out or bad impeller. I just replaced the impeller last aug. Does anyone have any suggestions? Keep in mind I only ran the boat for about 10 seconds the first fire up and maybe 15 - 20 seconds the second time so maybe I just need to let it run a little longer and give the water a chance to circulate all the way through.

04OUTBACK
04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
If it was empty of water, that would probably not been long enough to get circulating through the motor fully and filling the block.. Remember how much water drains out when you winterize it! I have had the same concern myself before..
I guess for curiosity,you could open the impeller and inspect, but even completely dry, I don't think that would have been long enough to burn the impeller...starting cold..

I put some boot lube on my impeller before the first start this year..

maxpower220
04-02-2009, 06:09 PM
It can take quite a little while to get water to come out of the exhaust. If you are using a pressurized flush kit (perko, installed in your boat), then water usually will flow even if your impeller is broken. Using a "Fake-a-lake", you will need your impeller to 'pull' the water up and through.
Try again and wait about 35-55 seconds, using a watch.

jclay5
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
It can take quite a little while to get water to come out of the exhaust. If you are using a pressurized flush kit (perko, installed in your boat), then water usually will flow even if your impeller is broken. Using a "Fake-a-lake", you will need your impeller to 'pull' the water up and through.
Try again and wait about 35-55 seconds, using a watch.

Its a perko flush kit thats installed on the intake hose just above the through hull right before it gets to the V-drive intake. I'll be home in a min and i'll let it run for a min or so and see if that works.

jclay5
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Ok it works! I just left a hose unhooked! ha It was dark by the time I got around to starting it last night so I couldn't see it. Anyway I found my mistake this evening and corrected it so everything works great! Thanks for the replies!