PDA

View Full Version : What boat cover to get

buzcoats
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I have an 04 XLV and was wondering what the best boat cover to purchase is. I see the aftermarket ones for about $500 but it looks like it is a one piece. Thanks.

kennedy
03-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I would also like to know what cover to purchase in case I need to buy one.

Can you order the FACTORY cover, if so what is the cost some have paid.

:)

wolfeman131
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Last season a factory mooring cover (one piece, full coverage) was $550 from my dealer. If I remember correctly, the snap in covers (two piece, cockpit and bow covers) were a $750 option.

I think you'll get a lot of opinions that finding a local, custom shop will give you the best product at the best price.

zegm
03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Contact this company and they will set you up!

http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/

They are the original equipment supplier and since your boat is more than a couple years old they will sell to you. I am impressed with how well the factory cover fits (their name is on the tag)!
Don't go through your dealer unless you want to keep him in business and don't mind paying extra.

davidl
03-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Check out RANKIN Covers, You wount be disapointed

moombadaze
04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
David, do you know if you can tow with the Rankin cover in place?

SRGTO
04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I looked at this for some time about a year ago... and after lots of research I ended going to a shop that builds custom covers.

I am EXTREMELY happy with the end results. Cost was around $700.00 and I selected the fabric and how I wanted the boat covered (I went with seperate cockpit and bow covers). I have many compliments on the covers and couldn't be happier.

Good luck and post pics when you decide.

Sled491
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
My suggestion would be the custom shop cover. You pick the color design and get that good old local service

Razzman
04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Rankin Covers are the only one i would trust towing as that's what they are expressively made for and i've never heard anyone complain about their's either. Yea they are expensive but worth it, i'll be buying one when the factory cover is shot: Rankincovers (http://www.rankincovers.com/index.htm)

mikebu
04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Another option for a towable cover is Cory at www.evolutioncovers.com. He used to work for Rankin and makes the same type cover. When I bought my Supra 21v this summer he came down and measured my boat, he didn't have a pattern yet for this boat, and had my cover done in a week.

Whatever cover you get I would recommend getting the Sunbrella fabric.

tnovak
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I am going to be buying a 2008 moomba outback V. It will come with the logo cover. I am going to be keeping it on a boat lift. Am I going to be happy with the logo cover or wish I had the bow and cockpit cover. Will I be able to attach the cover without using the straps that go underneath or will it come off too easily? Will I have trouble with mildew with this cover on all of the time? Have they improved the factory cover at all? Thanks. Tom

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 03:50 PM
You should have no problems getting it on and keeping it on--there is a ratchet at the rear to tighten a rope that goes all the way around the cover just under the rub rail, you should not even need the straps

Sled491
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I have the logo cover and I keep my boat on my lift. I would rather have the 2 pc cover.

davidl
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey There hope all is well with you, And yes you can pull, There are no straps to bang against the paint and the fit is awsome. We are very pleased.!!

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
david, what kind of price are they?

buzcoats
04-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.