PDA

View Full Version : Ski School and CC

maxpower220
03-30-2009, 07:00 PM
While on vacation, I took a lesson at McCormicks (sp) outside of Tampa, FL. I am a self taught slalom skier, so I suck. The instruction was good as they immediately pointed out three things that I need to do better, which I was unaware that I was doing. I have read books on skiing, but instant feedback on form is something no book can give. I would recommend the school, but don't do it as the first ski of the season (like I did). I was tired by the end and had problems getting up the first couple of times. Also, take your own equipment.

They use Nautiques at the school, so it was fun to ride behind a different boat. I was on a CC 206, which is very compatable with the Outback. At 15 off and 28.5 mph, the CC had a slightly smaller wake, but not by much. Overall, it was nice, but not $20K more nice. It did have Zero Off and I had a chance to play around with it. It is a little more complex than the youtube video made it seem, but still pretty easy to use. It is definately a much better pull than Moomba cruise.
I plan to get more lessons this year after I ski myself back into shape and correct the 3 items.

deerfield
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
The instruction was good as they immediately pointed out three things that I need to do better

maxpower - What were the three things? - Deerfield

maxpower220
03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Despite my thought that they were, straighten my arms. Funny, I never have tired or sore arms after skiing (and I am weak). I also lock my front leg out, so I have to concentrate to keep it bent. I lock it out in the turn and never flex it. More weight on the front foot. I pretty much knew that one, but they explained how the ski will react. They gave me a good tip for getting up, by slanting the ski.

I concentrate so much in not breaking at the waist, I think that is why my leg is locked out and I ski with too much weight on the rear foot.

kaneboats
03-31-2009, 11:12 AM
I think my list would have looked more like a grocery list.

zegm
03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Maxpower,

Have you ever called or checked into Cory Pickos school in Destin? I know Regina Jaquess is based there and from what I hear she is a pretty good slalom skier.

deerfield
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
maxpower - Good tips. I will keep these in mind. Maybe with these and some coaching from Sled I'll improve this year. Thanks! - Deerfield

zegm
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
The mechanic who replaced our engine and is now a good friend is also a CC dealer. I can't tell you how many times he points out good things about the Natiques and I have to agree they are well made. Now if they weren't so fugly!

maxpower220
03-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Maxpower,

Have you ever called or checked into Cory Pickos school in Destin? I know Regina Jaquess is based there and from what I hear she is a pretty good slalom skier.

I went there last year for the Pro Tour. I will probably go there this year once I get back into ski shape and work on those areas of problems. In Tampa, the weather was perfect and I was out that way visiting family, so I went. That is why I didn't have any of my stuff.

Sled491
04-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey Deerfield, I'm just a tired old man these days:) Why do you think I'm adding surfing to my list of behind the boat activities. Even tubing hurts too much, especialy the way my 9 yr old wants to do it!

1LOKMOOMBA
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey Deerfield, I'm just a tired old man these days:) Why do you think I'm adding surfing to my list of behind the boat activities. Even tubing hurts too much, especialy the way my 9 yr old wants to do it!A-MEN bro I Love skiing my back don't. so maybe I surf aye.

Sled491
04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
A-MEN bro I Love skiing my back don't. so maybe I surf aye.

Dude you have to try it. It has added a whole new way to have fun. We don't wakeboard and while I've tried it, I just don't have fun doing it. But wakesurfing has been a blast for me and my wife and friends

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Cool shot. Best thing I like about the surfing it is you can do it when you're tired or sore from other stuff (and when it's windy).