PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Or Supra?...help...

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Everyone,
My Name Is Mike And My Future Wife Is Maryjane..we Are New Members From New Hampshire. I Am A Former Owner Of An 06 Malibu Vlx That I Lost In A Divorce (i Know...i Know!....lol..) We Are Looking At A Purchase In The Next Month Or So...between Moomba And Supra.....we Have Three Kids....ages 6, 9, 17...and Are Mainly Into Wakeboarding, Alot Of Tubing And Want To Get Into Wake Surfing....we Will Not Be Financing...we Managed To Save Over The Last Few Years To Pay Cash..although Not Even Close To The Inflated Msrp's......i Really Want To Know The Advantages Of A Supra Over Moomba If Any....the Choice Is Between A Launch 21v And A Mobius Lsv.....when I Read The Warranty Info For Both....it Seems Supra Covers The Motor For Four Years...hull Limited Lifetime And "other Componants For Four Years...moomba Covers These Other Things For One Year......is The Cash Being Spent On The Supra Worth It As Far As Fit And Finish...etc?.....please Help...

maxpower220
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Both boats are made in the same building by the same people. That would leave me to believe that the quality between the boats should be the same. The biggest decision will be yours in which boat do you like better? Also, which boat do you like better for the price. Either way, you should definately test drive/ride both boats before make a purchase.

Not that I am trying to steer you away from Skiers Choice, but have you looked at Axis boats (they are made by Malibu). Only because you used to own a Malibu do I bring this up. I have no idea what cost cutting measures they took to lower their price.

Good luck

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I Am Familiar With Skiers Choice And How Moomba And Supra Are Made In The Same Facility.......but Why Are The Supras More?...i Mean I Understand About The "bling Factor" As Far As Interior Etc....the Malibu Vride Is Not As "pimp" As Say The Malibu Vlx Or Lsv's......but I Am Really More Interested In A Year From Now Will The Moomba Be All Rattles And Gelcoat Cracks...i Am Meticulous As Far As Upkeep Goes....i Am Stricly Asking About Quality Of The Rest Of The Boat Besides The Hull And Motor......

Kidder
03-19-2009, 04:05 PM
The Moomba has a lifetime warranty on the hull and a 4-year warranty on the motor.

http://www.moomba.com/warranty/

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah I Understand The Hull/motor Warranty...i Mean The Rest Of The Boat....vinyl..stitching..switches....ballast Pumps...wakeplate Etc...the Rest Of The Boat...the Way I Read The Moomba Warranty It's Only One Year...supra Seems To Be Four Years On All That Stuff...

MOOMBA_97
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I have an '01 Outback that I bought used in '07 from a member of this board. Not to "toot" my own horn but the boat looks to be in nearly new condition. By that I mean the carpet, seat stiching etc. Not one piece of equiptment on the boat has ever failed me. All gauges work flawlessly including the wakeplate. Granted this boat was taken care before I bought it and since that day. My point is that it is some 8 years old and still going strong. That appears to be pretty good quality in my book.

Monty

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok Awesome...thanks For Your Input....as I Said I Am Just Concerned With Build Quality Etc...i Also Take Almost Anal Care Of My Stuff Like You Do......but This Will Be The Only Boat For A Lloooonnnnggg Time So I Want To Make The Best Choice.......

SEARK
03-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I look at it like this and it may be to simplistic, but Chevrolet and Cadilac, same company Caddy is just pimp version of Chevy.

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Thats The Way I Was Thinking......so We Are Talking 15-20k More For A "pimp" Factor?......thats The Only Difference?...can Someone Tell Me If An Air/lake Temp Gauge Is Available On The Moomba?..i Cannot Seem To See That Option Listed....

jester
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
If you get the Perfect Pass option it has the water temp on it. Some times it is better not to know the water temp before you jump in.

jmvotto
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I bought the 07 OBV in 08 new love the boat no compalints. my buddy bought a 06 supra 21v launch late in 07 , He has had nothing but problems with it. hopefully you get a great boat that "knock on wood" has no problems... good luck Don't forget the moomba clan has the Roo, at least in spirit.

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Wow Thats Very Interesting.........can You Fill Me In On Some Of The Problems He Was Having?........and Can Anyone Comment On The 2009 Warranty As Far As Components Go?...not Motor Or Hull....everything Else...one Year Right?.....

Razzman
03-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Not being a smart*** or anything but if you want to know the differences then go to the dealer and see them for yourself. Both are excellent boats and both will get the job done admiredly. Any boat can have issues just like any car so asking to clarify is really not fair, chit happens, plain and simple.

If you have kids and expect kid things to happen then personally i'd get the Moomba simply because there's less visual bling for them to trash! :p

Seriously go to the dealer and touch, feel and see for yourself as nobody here can answer that like the dealer, afterall that's what he gets paid to do. Take a couple test drives. Personally i have no regrets buying the Moomba LSV over the Supra 21V, more interior space and way less stress for me. :D

mustangairchair
03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
i just put a depth water and air temp gauge in my boat it is very nice. i can get you the make and part # if you like. the same one was in this months overtons cataloge, but it did not offer the hull mount transducer for the depth that i wanted.

kennedy
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I looked at both boats before choosing the '08 Moomba Gravity Games XLV.

If you will spend the money on the SUPRA 21FT boat why not purchase the 23FT MOOMBA and get a bigger boat for less money.

NO BRAINER!!!

Reese350
03-20-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm very picky about the quality of my toys. I'm on my second Moomba and never once have been disappointed with fit, finish, or quality. For the most part, it's the same components on the Moomba as it is on many of the more expensive models/brands.

To be honest, I can't imagine why anyone would buy anything other than a Moomba when you consider all factors. I checked out the low end Malibu they are building to compete with Moomba and it just screams cheap. From my experience, I don't think you will be disappointed with any aspect of a Moomba.

moombadaze
03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Ed, you need a little updating on you tat...Roo dude needs a surfboard under him:rolleyes:

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
We Are Not Trying To Make Anyone Upset Here....and I Dig The Tattoo By The Way Bro!......i Fully Realize The "go To The Dealer And Touch/see/drive"..we Plan On It....and Yes Thats Right A Dealer "gets Paid" To Tell You All The Pluses And Benefits.....i Was Just Looking For The Real World Issues That Have Or Have Not Surfaced From Real People In The Real World Doing Real Things.....like "i Am Happy With The Boat But I Have Problems With The Hinges On The Rear Compartments After Heavy Use" Or "love The Moomba But I Noticed The Pylon Or Grab Handles Have Loosened" Etc.......but Thanks Everyone For The Input...and I Will Look Into That Air/temp Gauge From Overtons......

bashton
03-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Ian and I also were torn between the Supra and the Moomba, as I always wanted a Supra, way back to the old Comp TS6m days. We thought that the Moomba was the "cheapie" version of a Supra, but after intensive research, found this not to be the case.

The Moomba and the Supra share the exact same assembly procedures and are built side by side under the same roof at the same speed, utilizing the same techniques and quality control.

In all honesty, we were surprised to see this, (in person) when we toured the factory. The upholstery and standard features differ, but what truly goes into the boats is indeed identical.

We chose the Moomba and could not be happier. We put over 100 hours on the boat last season and did not have one bit of trouble. The boat handles fantastic and has absolutely no squeeks, rattles or other issues. It looks and feels as good now as the day we launched it.

We use it for both skiing and for wakeboarding as I am the skier and Ian is the wakeboarder. 75% of the time that the engine is running, we are pulling something behind it!

We looked at the Malibu "Entry Level" boats at the recent Detroit boat show and were amazed at how cheap they looked and felt, even though the price was by no means cheap.

BA

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Thank You Very Much For Your Input Bashton...thats The Exact Type Of Feedback We Are Looking For.....i Assume You Are Talking About The Malibu V-ride As The Entry Level Boat They Offer.....as I Said , I Owned A 2006 Malibu Vlx...and I Agree With You....the V-rides Do Indeed Feel "cheap" By Comparison........what Type Of Moomba Do You Own?......

bashton
03-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank You Very Much For Your Input Bashton...thats The Exact Type Of Feedback We Are Looking For.....i Assume You Are Talking About The Malibu V-ride As The Entry Level Boat They Offer.....as I Said , I Owned A 2006 Malibu Vlx...and I Agree With You....the V-rides Do Indeed Feel "cheap" By Comparison........what Type Of Moomba Do You Own?......

Yes, I was referring to the V-Rides.

We have an Outback DD. If the water temp was above 50 degrees yesterday, we would probably have dropped it in when we went to scope out the lake!

BTW; we aren't real "easy" on the boat, we use it for what it was built to do, pull skiers and wakeboarders! We are pretty nuts about keeping it clean and looking sharp, though.

Best of luck with your purchase and keep us all posted.

Bashton

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks Bashton...we Certainly Will Keep You And Everyone Else Posted As To What Unfolds On Our End........by The Way..we Went To Our Local Boatshow Yesterday..and Was Told That Skiers Choice Was No Building Boats For The Month Of April Due To The Economy....food For Thought...

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I Was Told That From A Supra/moomba Dealer...he Was Talking About How Even If I Ordered A Boat Right Then....i May Not Get It Till June!!!...do You Think He Was Being Truthful....or Was Pushing One Of The Boats He Had On His Floor Ready To Go?

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-22-2009, 03:16 PM
This Guy Was The Owner Of The Dealership.........also A Weird Thing...we Want A 2009 Mobius Lsv.....the Mpsrp Is 39,995.00....he Sates On His Spec Sheet An Msrp Of 40,995.00 A Grand More...i Know They Can Charge What They Want...but Cmon.....

Razzman
03-22-2009, 03:28 PM
A grand more is all? Consider yourself lucky! Malibu, MC & CC are still jacking big time even though they can't sell them, go figure. Btw my dealer told me just the other day that SC has no problem selling boats so who knows. :confused:

RickT
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I assure you we are open and building boats as I type...and will be in April as well. Currently, we are working on 4-6 weeks lead time for your boat. Most orders coming in today are projected to be complete by the end of April. Hope that helps. By the way, I like them both.

:)

RIck

kaneboats
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Me too. I also like that fact you care enough to pop in here and answer questions. Have a great day!

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Wow..very Interesting...thanks Rick...so Now I Can Say With Confidence That This Dealership Owner Lied Right To My Face......i Guess Even In A Crap Economy..the "sales" Tricks Never Stop....it's Obvious He Wants To Push The Boats That Are Sitting In Shrink Wrap On His Lot And Not Have To Order Someone A Boat...one Thing...why Do I Have To Pay For The Shrink Wrap That Comes On The Boat To Ship To The Dealers...the "transshiels" Cover......it Gets Cut Off And Thrown Out...and I Gotta Pay Like $250.00 Bucks For That?........sorry That Is Just Crap....

randal
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't own a boat, but I sat in a 2009 21v and lsv back to back. Just sitting in them the 21v was alot comfier. The seats were deeper and more loungy. Its a little thing, but once you sit back in the LSV the seats felt short (like you were forced to sit upright and you couldn't slouch otherwise your butt would fall off the seat.) That being said, I hope to either be driving or in the observers seat, so everyone else can suck it up.

The LSV also had a bit of a squeek in the vinyl on the observers seat. Its a little thing, but impacts ones perception.

Lastly, and its the same decision I'll be making in a year, look at how much they cost similarly outfitted. The 21V comes with a lot more standard then the LSV.

Would anyone be able to expand on how the hull of the LSV and 21v compare in terms of which is deeper?

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I Agree Totally...the One Thing I Did Not Like About The Lsv...was The Shallow Feeling Of The Cabin......the 21v Is Not Only More "pimp" Its Deeper, Comfier And More Plush....

jclay5
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
That is why it costs more =D

Sled491
03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Personally if I had the money I'd own 2 boats. One for just skiing (which I do curretly own 07 Outback) and either the LSV or the Supra 22SSV. I have no complaints with my Moomba, but as you are finding out, the dealer has a lot to do with how good your experience is. That being said my dealer Lauderdale Lakes Marine is just awsum.

I can't describe it but when I get into the SSV is just feels and looks soooo nice. Not that LSV doesn't look and feel nice, I just dig the SSV's.

My buddy had a 24 V Sunsport and had a huge problem with gelcoat cracking to the point that they offered him a brand new boat the next year. He accepted and got the 22SSV. I think it was a big improvement, but more importantly it showed the lengths that SC and a good dealer will go to to keep good customers happy.

PS Welcome to the family:)

kennedy
03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
To see someone from the company level put in a few cents reminds me of all the reasons I purchased the MOOMBA!!!

Thanks for building a GREAT BOAT!!!!

moombadaze
03-26-2009, 07:32 PM
To see someone from the company level put in a few cents reminds me of all the reasons I purchased the MOOMBA!!!

Thanks for building a GREAT BOAT!!!!

That "someone" is only the president of skiers choice

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I Agree Totally...when I Purchased My Malibu Vlx In 2006 I Had The Same Dealings....i Mean I Do Not Care If You Are Buying A Boat, Car, Snowmobile, Rv, Hdtv Or A Toaster....different Salespeople Will Do Different Things....and I Love Hearing "malibu Builds In A 40 Percent Profit Into Their Prices....supra/moomba Have A Thin Margin"....oh Please Stop Ok...if Something Does Not Work As A Business Why Do It?...but Thanks For The Welcome...and I Also Agree With The "feel" Of The Supras....alot More Plush And Solid Feeling.....

kennedy
03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Even Better!!!

Birdman_08_LSV
03-27-2009, 09:59 AM
MANDMJMOOMBA, what you are doing here is the same thing I did a year ago. I wanted a boat and I wanted to get the most bang for my buck. I told myself that I was going to take 4 months and look at all my options. I started in January of 08 and I ordered my boat in May 08. I looked online, talked to dealers, and called everybody I could think of that had a boat. When it was all said and done I ended up driving 5 hours from my house to waterski boats of Dallas for my boat. I went to see them 3 times before I ended up putting my boat on order. The first two times I just asked questions and wanted to see everything they had. I ended up getting the LSV and I love it! I could have got any boat in that place that I wanted, but for the price and my needs this boat hit the spot. With the money I didn't use getting the Supra I had the sound system upgraded and right now it's getting a LED upgrade. I couldn't be more happy with my boat. In the end you just have to know that the boat you are getting is what you want. As far as your dealer goes, talk to them. He might be pushing something off the lot not wanting to order for you. If you see something that you do kind of like ... tell him to come down to a price you like on that boat. If he will not do that, then just take your money to somebody who will give you want you want. Dealing with people you like and trust is important. I pull my boat all the way back to Dallas for all the service to it because those guys take care of me and do great work. I hope this helps you out some.

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes It Does Birdman....thanks For Your Input..we Sound Alot Alike!....did You Feel That The Supras Felt Deeper Than The Mobius Lsv?....

Birdman_08_LSV
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, they did! Don't get me wrong, the Supra boats are all nice. Super Nice! But in the end you have to ask yourself is it "that" much nicer? I didn't see enough changes between the Moomba and Supra to get the Supra right now. I don't get really big air and I'm not needing 3,000 lbs of ballast. So I went with the Moomba LSV. Let's be real here if you are a pro wakeboarder you might want to go with a Supra for the ballast but other then that ... Moomba is where you'll save some money and have a "Damn Good" boat.

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks Birdman.............i Really Agree With You Basically Right Down The Line......i Was Just Concerned With The Moombas Only Having A One Year Warranty On The "other Components"..as Opposed To Supras Four Year.....i Am Right Where You Are As Far As Not Being Close To A Pro Wakeboarder And Do Not Get Monster Air.....i Actually Want To Get Into Wakesurfing As Well....the 2009 Mobius Lsv I Looked At I Liked.....just The Cabin Seats And Bow Felt A Bit Shallow....but I Guess Not A Huge Deal...and From What I Read In Your Post We Are Brothers...i Am Also An Honorably Discharged United States Marine!.....ooohhh Rraahh......send Me A Pm If You Like We Can Chat...any Pics Of Your Moomba I Can Check Out?......

Birdman_08_LSV
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Well hey there Marine! I have about 20 pictures on my profile. Go check them out. Post a message while you're there. Add me as a friend if you haven't already. I took some pictures from on top of my house. You'll get a good idea of how much room is inside the LSV. I haven't had any issues with room. As far as it not sitting as deep ... well it's hasn't been an issue. To be honest most people in the boat still wanna stand to see the rider out back. If you sat down lower this would be even harder to see the rider. I can send you some pictures of me and some other "Jarheads" all chillin' in the boat. It will give you a great view of how easy it is to relax in the LSV. How would that be?

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I Sent You A Pm Birdman...hit Me Back Brother...and Ed...are You Saying The Outback V Is Better For Surfing Than The Lsv?...adise From The Deeper Lounge?.....and I Used To Live In Orlando!......

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Ahhh Yes Colonial Drive And Alafaya Trail!..lol...i Am Originally From Here In New England Lived In Florida For Six Years...got To Me...way Too Congested And I Really Missed The Season Changes.....but As Far As The Boats...the Outback V Is Deeper In The Lounge Than The Lsv?.....by Much?......and Where In Ct Are You From?...

Sled491
03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Ed, I know the Outback V has a deeper draft by 3 inches over the LSV, but are you saying the the interior depth is deeper as well?

Sled491
03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not really sure as to how much it is deeper. Couple inches, I would guestimate. I would run the boat comparison found on the top of this page.

I took it you were makeing a direct comparison to the LSV, not previous model Outback V's. There is no question you 09 Outback V is a deeper boat both draft and interior cabin to the 08 V, but not so sure you could make that claim against an LSV.

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah I Am Not Really Concerned With Draft.....i Am Asking About The Depth Of The Cabin Sitting Inside.....is The 2009 Outback V Deeper In The Interior Cabin Than The 2009 Mobius Lsv?...

Sled491
03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
No, an 08 Outback V had similar cabin depth to a regular Outback. The LSV and LS are considerably deeper than the Outback DD at least, I don't want to speak for the 09 Outback V.

Though at the boat show it's interior (09 Outback V) did not appear to be deeper than the the LSV and the bow is much smaller.

RobertJ
03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
The draft on the compare site listed above is incorrect. It has the Outback V listed as 24 feet 2 inches. If you click on the "Outback V" listed above it does show a 27" draft.

mark540
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Waterski magazine is the only place I have seen that gives the interior height(gunwale)

These are what they state(it has been accurate in the past on my outback and 08 Supra 21V)
All 09's

LSV 28"
OUtback V 25"
Supra 21V 31"
Outback DD 23"

So the Supra is is the deepest interior wise, although I think they take the measurement at the deepest part of the boat which on the 21V is at the drivers seat and then it dips a few inches, so the 21V and LSV may very well be the same height in the rear seat area. Not sure the Outback V and the DD are correct in 07 it stated 21" for the DD which was correct(the hull hasn't changed), and the 09 V seems every bit as deep as my Supra.

My 2 cents if you can get a decent deal on the Supra, and while I agree they are similarly built, go for it. The little features like the dash, integrated perfect pass/smart plate, and swivel racks make it a nice upgrade.

I think if you price out an LSV with the same features as the Supra's standards, there is a decent price difference normally, but in todays market I would think there might be more discount room in a Supra vs. a Moomba, not saying they will discount more, just a thought.

Sled491
03-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Finally some real info, thanks man!

MANDMJMOOMBA
03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes Thank You!!!...exactly The Info I Was After.....thanks Man....:)