PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Transom Lights

Sled491
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey, I'm thinking of getting these. I know a bunch of you have been thinking the same thing, these might be worth checking out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230330855060&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

mustangairchair
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
ya the lights are nice the site is great i got lots of stuff from them.i put a thread in with a picture two weeks ago

moombadaze
03-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Those sure sound resonable on price, do you have to drill a monster sized hole or just big enough for wire to fit thru. i could not tell from ebay

ian ashton
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Those sure sound resonable on price, do you have to drill a monster sized hole or just big enough for wire to fit thru. i could not tell from ebay

Nope, they are surface mount so you just have to drill a hole for the actual wire, and 5 small screw holes to hold them in place.

Razzman
03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Before anybody jumps to buy these the first thing i would do is contact Ken at Bullet Lines and see if he can supply a group buy price. I know he did this for the Tigéowners forum at $139 each. Second realize the picture above is actually the Abyss lights on mastercrafts and i know the lumens are almost the same between the two. Lumens being lumens, that doesn't neccessarily mean they will project the same, get pics of both to make sure. Here's the specs and sites ...

Abyss; Standard on Mastercraft Boats the S 600b specs are:
Model S 600: (Stainless Steel) flood wide angle illuminates up to * 30 feet around the transom area.
6 LED – 12 watt will draw only 1 Amp at 12 volts.
Large 100 degrees angle, 350 Lumens at 7200 Kelvin.
Diameter 3 1/8 (80 m/m) thickness 9/16 (15 m/m)
http://www.abysslite.com/underwater-lights.php

Bullet Lines 1020:
Color: Blue or White
Lights up to 30' of water.
Water proof stainless steel casing
Easy installation.
Low power consumption
Lumens: 360
Voltage: DC 12V
Power: 6W
Peak Angle: 180 degrees
http://www.bulletlines.com/servlet/the-90/Underwater-Marine-Lights--dsh-/Detail

So my take on these is they are a waste on a wakeboat on inland waters. They are cool on the ocean or coastal waterways as you can drive at speed to enjoy them, but lakes and rivers have speed limits after dusk and in California it's 15mph. So unless i'm gonna party on the boat all night and be pimp daddy what would i need them for?

Also remember they will most not look like the above pic on inland waters unless you're on one of those super clear lakes. The ocean is more clear and light radient than any lake i have around me.

Not tryin' to ruin anybody's thunder, just tryin' to make all aware before you plop down the green for these ... I'm just sayin ...;)

meech
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
great response/info (although i'd like to see you as a pimp daddy). i decided. :)

Before anybody jumps to buy these the first thing i would do is contact Ken at Bullet Lines and see if he can supply a group buy price. I know he did this for the Tigéowners forum at $139 each. Second realize the picture above is actually the Abyss lights on mastercrafts and i know the lumens are almost the same between the two. Lumens being lumens, that doesn't neccessarily mean they will project the same, get pics of both to make sure. Here's the specs and sites ...

Abyss; Standard on Mastercraft Boats the S 600b specs are:
Model S 600: (Stainless Steel) flood wide angle illuminates up to * 30 feet around the transom area.
6 LED – 12 watt will draw only 1 Amp at 12 volts.
Large 100 degrees angle, 350 Lumens at 7200 Kelvin.
Diameter 3 1/8 (80 m/m) thickness 9/16 (15 m/m)
http://www.abysslite.com/underwater-lights.php

Bullet Lines 1020:
Color: Blue or White
Lights up to 30' of water.
Water proof stainless steel casing
Easy installation.
Low power consumption
Lumens: 360
Voltage: DC 12V
Power: 6W
Peak Angle: 180 degrees
http://www.bulletlines.com/servlet/the-90/Underwater-Marine-Lights--dsh-/Detail

So my take on these is they are a waste on a wakeboat on inland waters. They are cool on the ocean or coastal waterways as you can drive at speed to enjoy them, but lakes and rivers have speed limits after dusk and in California it's 15mph. So unless i'm gonna party on the boat all night and be pimp daddy what would i need them for?

Also remember they will most not look like the above pic on inland waters unless you're on one of those super clear lakes. The ocean is more clear and light radient than any lake i have around me.

Not tryin' to ruin anybody's thunder, just tryin' to make all aware before you plop down the green for these ... I'm just sayin ...;)

Razzman
03-17-2009, 04:31 PM
great response/info (although i'd like to see you as a pimp daddy). i decided. :)

OK! That's not one your likely to see! :p

Sled491
03-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I agree that for my application it would be for sitting around at night on the lake enjoying some sort of beverage. My lake is extrememly clear (thanks zebra muscles :) ) and I believe I would get a decent effect from them. I'm also aware that they were showing a stock picture from Mastercraft, but based on the specs you posted the Bullet lights show more lumens by 10 so they should be brighter, no?

As for the group buy thing excellent. Who's gonna get that puppy rolling? :)

aintskeered
03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I've been looking at these lights as well... Just couldnt justify the big price tag... One lake is pretty clear the other is not too bad? Pimp daddy no but it would be pretty cool to sit and drink beers and perhaps a bit of swimming lights? So sled who did you say was taking on this group buy??

Sled491
03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I thought I heard your name come up? :)

moombadaze
03-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Around here you could have 2 little red eyes glowing back at you at night-but at least you would know where they are.

kaneboats
03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
That is exactly why I trailer it at night and park it in the garage. I don't think I'm too tasty gut the little green lizards might want a sample anyway.

Razzman
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I thought I heard your name come up? :)

You guys are killing me! :p

Sled i also noticed the 10 lumens diff, not sure how that equates though. I'd call Ken @ Bullet Lines and ask him. Unfortunately my lakes here are not clear, green yes but only about 5-10 feet of vision so they'd really be a waste for me.

Razzman
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Around here you could have 2 little red eyes glowing back at you at night-but at least you would know where they are.

Good one! :p

aintskeered
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
surely some one with so few post as my self should not be trusted with something of this importance..... Hummm I was thinking 2250 post at least for something like this??? Perhaps we can just get a code to enter if we can get 6-8 people involved!!

I just cant imagine after dark sitting there on the back of the boat Beverage in hand, friends a visiting.... (enter Large lizard) Oh look they lit up the dinner table... And with as many falls as I seen them take today they should be tender... and I think they have added enough (marinade) to there system, well perhaps I will let them have one more beverage before I chomp! I am starting to think the frozen lakes from winter do have one good side to it!

newty
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
You guys are funny! I'd def be in on a group buy. Whos up for it.
The worst we would have around here is a sturgeon sucking on you foot.
You could watch the turds float by at night on the willamette. :)

Razzman
03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
You guys are funny! I'd def be in on a group buy. Whos up for it.
The worst we would have around here is a sturgeon sucking on you foot.
You could watch the turds float by at night on the willamette. :)

Bwahaha! :p

bergermaister
03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I was toying around with mounting one of these under my swim platform just to create a nice outline glow at night. I saw a 'bu one night at the launch with a red outlined swim deck that looked pretty trick.

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/500-000/527-154-00-chart.jpg

Only about $60 from Bass Pro Shops and better looking than some of the other waterproof led light strips I've seen.

We do a lot of beach camping with the boats anchored right out from camp so adding a little light to the party would be cool. I'd go with blue to match the rest of my interior. Plus newty's right - it would make the turds floating by easier to spot and shake off the anchor line.

jclay5
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd love to see a pic of those in the water. That price is much much more attractive.

Sled491
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Berg, those look like they'd make great interior lights as well.

OK I'll man up and approach on the group buy. Some one PM me the contact info though!

mustangairchair
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
i think that is a good idea group buy. who is going to talk to them, they are good to deal with. http://www.bulletlines.com

montanamoomba
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Before you go to far take a look at oznium.com I have purchased interior LED lights from them recently. Great prices and quite a few waterproof light options.

Sled491
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Check out this new post on group buy

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=59932#post59932