PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tires

deerfield
03-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm in the market to put replacement tires on my Suburban.

It's a 1999 2500. Weighs around 6,000 pounds. We pull an Outback DD on a tandem axle trailer. Usually four to seven people in the car. We live in a four seasons area of the country. I estimate we put about 14,000 miles on the tires per year, 30% highway and 70% local.

I looked online and there are a lot of tire choices as well as retailers.

I'm less concerned with name brand and retailer.

I'm more interested in value for my dollar and the tire construction design that best fits the use of our Suburban.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

maxpower220
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I have an 02 Avalanche and replaced the stock Goodyears with Michelin LTX tires. I am very happy with them. My goals were quality of ride and low noise. I had used that tire in the past and it does everything that I wanted. Mostly though, find a good tire store that you trust (good luck) and they can give you suggestions.
I used Firestone tire centers ( I don't care for Firestone tires) as they offer lifetime balance, rotate, and alignment. I move around every couple of years in the military, so it is important that I have a nationwide dealership. That may not be a factor for you.

Good luck.

BWeber
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I had a 1999 1500 Silverado that I put some Goodyear ATS on. Great tire for the price and was excellent in the snow. Never had a problem getting any where even in two wheel drive. They were very quiet on the highway and a comfortable ride.

You might want to check out some BFG All-terrains. Great looking tire and handle well in all conditions, but you will spend some extra bucks on them.

Im getting ready to slap some 35" Kumho MTs on a 1990 Suburban.

aintskeered
03-15-2009, 01:48 PM
deerfield, We go through lots of tires here at our business. From what I have been told figure out how many miles you want to get out of the tires. 40,000-80,000 ect miles. The science and manfacturing process its now good to the point that the tire will be worn out under normal driving conditions around the mile mark for which you bought the tire. Our fleet vehicles we buy pretty cheap and light tires for because we end up off in the toolies quite a bit with the pickups. And have to patch many of the tires. My personal truck I bought Big O tires. They have been pretty good all around, mud snow and regular driving. The have a national warrenty for free flat fixes, rotation and balance no charge every 5,000 miles. 30 minutes every few months and the tires are rebalanced and rotated at no charge. I wouldnt call them the best tires but there not bad.
I didnt even get 20,000 miles out of my factory tires on a new truck, These are way better in the snow and mud also.

McMoomba
03-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on my F150, Very pleased with $600 ttl. I almost went with Kuhmos but they are mfg in China & figured right now to buy American was important. Ordered tires from Tirerack.com and recieved in 2 days.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+AT%2FS&sidewall=Outlined+White+Letters

kaneboats
03-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I put the Kumhos on my Mustang a few years back. Excellent wet traction-- you have to have this on the Mustang or it will get away from you. I just put Falken (by Firestone, I believe) on my Suburban last summer. Been very happy with them but I only put about 6k a year on that truck. Reasonable price, very smooth and quiet.

98outback
03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I have toyo open country at's on my dodge and have no complaints. I am in florida but went up past snow shoe, wv and drove in the pouring down snow with no problems. I have about 45,000 on them and still not to the wear bar. I do keep them rotated and balanced every 3000 and alignment checked everyother time. Kinda expensive though for 275/60/20.

deerfield
03-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Here's the update on tires. I called around and found little difference in price, so today I bought tires from a merchant here in my town. Four Firestone Transforce HT tires plus tax, balancing, and front wheel alignment came to $712.87. Tire size is LT245/75-16E. Good to go for another 50,000 miles. I'll be sure to rotate. Thanks for the advice, guys.