PDA

View Full Version : about to buy

jumpin jack flash
02-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey my current boat is a 1998 Horizon 200 Four Winns. I'm 16 and im really into wakeboarding and skiing. My parents are most likely going to buy a 2003 Mobius LSV with factory ballast, tower, and Hydraulic wake plate. (Never been off the showroom floor) But my dad is having trouble adjusting to the fact that the Mobius sits MUCH lower in the water and doesn't have the ''Deep V'' hull configuration to cut through the chop. We've never owned a ''ski'' boat before. Could anyone help us out and tell us how yall's boats handle in choppy water? We've been told the wake plate will help smooth the ride out in choppy water when adjusted properly. Is this true? How does your Mobius LSV hand the chop? How do any other Moombas handle the chop?

Thanks so much

Tanner Vickers

Charge hard, stay stoked!

jumpin jack flash
02-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Also I have heard that inboard boats like these don't back up very easily unless going in a straight line. Is this true? Is it hard to handle these boats while reversing left or right? I'm so stoked about getting our new boat I just have some questions.

Thanks

jumpin jack flash
02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Also, how's the wake behind these things, pretty stoked out? Anybody have a LSV that can talk to me would be a GREAT help.

Thanks

again... lol

Yellowmobius
02-22-2004, 10:18 AM
I have a Mobius d-drive, with weight I can get a good wake, next year I will be getting a new LSV because I have been told and I know the wake will be much better (bigger).

Backing up inboards is tricky no doubt about it. Some times I need to go forward to straighten out and then back up again. Inboards straighten out very fast with a little forward nudge.

They are not rough water boats. They do handle minor chop ok and the wakeplate should help. If I end up in some real rough water I end up driving slow to keep the front end in the air, doesn't happen often, if the water is that rough I stay home.

Good luck, you should fully enjoy boarding behind it.
CHeck out the rackjack if you will be lowering the tower.
www.wakezone.biz

BensonWdby
02-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Ditto.
I own a 1999 Mobius. Backing up is an art. Mot osf the time it seems that no matter what you do with the steering wheel the back of the boat wants to go to the starboard. That can be pertty handy if you are pulling up to a dock that is on your starboard. If you nose with the stern out a bit and then turn the wheel and hit reverse you almost go straight sideways into the dock. Do not expect the same behavior as yo get from an outboard or a stern drive. This adjustment is far outweighed by the performance of the boat.

Freeboard is a different issue. First you have to realize that most owners of AWSA appoved ski boats are not all that interested in rough water travel. However, the freeboard off the bow on my boat is a real issue for me. Occasionally I think I might like to put in on the St. Croix river, but with the large cruiser wakes out there it will never happen (that and I don't trust rivers).

I run into trouble when I hook back to pick up a fallen skier. In our old runabout I used to slow down quickly, do a tight button hook and then right to the skier. This requires cutting through your own failrly large wake at low speed. If I do this wrong I can get 50 gallons over the bow in an instant. Again - this is just an adjustment. If you avoid going into the wake perpendicular the boat will ride up the wave and no problems. Or if you give a little throttle just as you hit the wake, no problem. This problem is probably enhanced because you can make such a tight turn back to the skier.

I had or used a conventional run about for almost 20 year and the Mobius for 3 now. Despite these issues I would NEVER go back to any type of out-drive. For my purposes I would not go witha V-Drive either (although I have never been in one). The physics of the mid-engine boat just make too much sense to an old slalom skier like myself.

Enjoy
Dave

jumpin jack flash
02-22-2004, 05:20 PM
We boat in canyon lake texas and its a fairly big lake and during the summer mid day when everybodys out it can get a choppy. Will we have to constantly worry about water comming over the front? I'm starting to worry a lot about the ''Rough ride.''

Catdog1
02-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Today's wakeboard boats might be as good or better than the Four Winns.

Maybe the best bet is to try one out on a choppy day.

You can a life jacket out while motoring, then practice retrieving it.

That will tell you a lot.

The manipulation of the boat at the dock is much different, like dave says, but its doable. I think you just have to play with it and relearn.

Like docking. I approach at a 30 degree angle ( right front of the boat to the dock ). Then, while still moving forward, go to reverse. Don't even need to spin the wheel, cause the stern will walk right to the dock and voila', your laying right against it.

1moomba
02-22-2004, 08:45 PM
I have a 2002 mobius lsv and have used on large lake on a weekend when the waves are 2-3 feet.It gives you a pounding but handles good under 22 mph.The lsv's bow is out of the water enough that its a pretty dry ride.I had a 2001 kamberra that was much better in rough chop.I have a new mobius xlv on order which I understand to be a great wakeboard boat and also a big lake boat when its to rough to wakeboard.The lsv drives and handles great.If you were in rough water alot the time I would look for a mobius V or look at the new XLV.Just my opinion.Good luck, all three are great boats

jumpin jack flash
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies it'll help me a lot. If anyone else has anything else to say about this, PLEASE POST IT!

Thanks

Shawn
03-02-2004, 11:30 PM
It is true about docking your v-drive. the boats will go slitley to starboard as you go in reverse. With the rudder being behind the prop they are unable to stear but the main thing is that the prop is in a fixed position. An IO or outboard, the prop turns with the stearing forcing the boat in that direction. But with a little practice you will forget about the old ways of driving. I have a new LSV on order and am waiting to test it in some medium size waves.

NateLSV
03-03-2004, 06:53 PM
I have the 2003 Mobius LSV. Backing all in-bord boats is the same. I haven't had any trouble with my boat in choppy water, then again I avoid choppy water like the plague. Wakeboarding is made for smoother water. I have the wake plate, extra-large ballast, and every option that you can think of on this boat. You will love this boat, and the price is awesome. I haven't found a single trick that can't be done behind this boat. I have several friends taht are sponsored and have competed in Pro events. They all love the wake that we can make behind this boat, and it is a very big wake!

Have Fun!

Shoemaker Mobius
03-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Being a first time boat owner I had great trepidations about handling our new 2004 Mobius LSV. However, I have found that it isn't as hard as I thought. As others have said, a V-drive (as most ski/wake board boats) do not steer via the steering wheel in reverse. Reverse, by the nature of the prop direction, pulls to the starboard side. Now, I have been told that Nautiques are the exact reverse of this, pulling to the port side on reverse. So, docking pretty much has to be approached from the left of the dock. If you go from the right, your reverse will pull away from the dock. So far we have gone out on Lake Travis 3 times, but we are mostly hitting Lake Austin, putting in at the 360 bridge. As you probably know if you boat at Canyon Lake, Lake Travis is a very large lake. We haven't hit real bad chop yet, but the wake plate really makes a difference in rideability in choppy water. The dealer indicated that the best way to go thru large wakes is to power thru (and having done so, he was right). We have not had any water over the bow or stern yet, even with the factory ballast full.

SkiKY
03-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Leaving my slip requires me to back straight out for fair distance before I can go forward, which like everyone has said takes some getting used in an inboard. A trick I use is to crank the wheel all the way to the right when backing up. As the boat backs up it will turn slightly starboard and when it gets too far I nudge the boat into forward which (by having the wheel cranked to the right) straightens it right out. By repeating this process you will have no problem backing up.