PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Caddy/Motocross 5gal Jugs??

KurtL
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
For anyone who keeps their boat at the lake, what do you like to use to fill up as quickly as possible?:confused: The regular 5 gal containers are so slow!!! There are some fuel caddies out there but are pricey. Anyone tried tried multiple motocross 5gal jugs with "quick fill" hose on them?

1LOKMOOMBA
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
WE got 6 gallon tanks show me the quick fill nozzel.

KurtL
03-14-2009, 12:47 AM
This is an example of the fill hose.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/188/17974/ITEM/LC-18-Spiral-Tech-Filler-Hose-with-Flow-Control-Valve.aspx

KurtL
03-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Also the 5 gallon jugs.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/188/7342/ITEM/LC-5-Gallon-Utility-Jug.aspx

Anyone know if they work better than standard 5 gallon containers?

deerfield
03-14-2009, 11:09 AM
KurtL - I looked at a caddy, but too expensive. Also, when loaded with fuel it would seem to be awkward and heavy to slug from the car down to the pier. So, we use the inexpensive 5 gallon containers. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen anyone on our pier use a caddy. - Deerfield

ian ashton
03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I just use a bunch of 2-3 gallon cans, we usually bring 4 or 5 every couple of days so it never gets below a half tank, and occasionally I'll buy on the water (usually on the weekends when we've been out all day and don't feel like getting off the water; $5.50 a gallon hurts though!)

I tried a 5 gallon and it was too big to manuver, I ended up with gas in my face, it was terrible. I don't notice the amount of time it takes - if I'm on the boat I'm smiling.

ICWater
03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
A couple years ago in Sandpoint a guy next to me had a siphon that attached to the top of the 5gal jugs and had a few feet of hose. He left the jug on the dock and filled with the hose. No spills & easy to use. I have been watching at retailers but have not seen one since.

ian ashton
03-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Thats a really good idea!

04OUTBACK
03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
The guy I bought my outback from used a 5 gal jug and siphon.. there is a inexpensive siphon hose at auto zone/ wal mart that easily primes. he would put the gas on the sundeck and transfer into the tank.
I think the gas cans for atv/mc;s would work better than the normal 5 Gal gas cans..

zabooda
03-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I use 6 gallon cans but I use a fuel pump to transfer the gas as I've never liked holding the cans up.

KurtL
03-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone! Deerfield I would agree the caddy would be tough to move around. Almost impossible to get it back in the truck by yourself. I think I will look at siphons at Walmart first, but I'm leaning towards the offroad jugs and fill hose with valve. Maybe I'll make my own fill hose based on the distance between the fill hole on the boat and swim platform/rear cushion. Thanks again for the ideas.

Kurt

wolfeman131
03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
The guy I bought my outback from used a 5 gal jug and siphon.. there is a inexpensive siphon hose at auto zone/ wal mart that easily primes. he would put the gas on the sundeck and transfer into the tank.
I think the gas cans for atv/mc;s would work better than the normal 5 Gal gas cans..

BWebb - this is the trick!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=20769&pdesc=Wonder_Pump&merchID=1008&str=wonder%20pump

I have had the expensive, wheeled caddies and can tell you that they are hard to work on uneven surfaces and steep terain. Get the $5, 5 gal cans from WalMart and one of these pumps. Put a towel on the sunpad, put the gas can on the towel, take the cap/spout off the can, inset the tubing into the fuel fill and the other end with the brass fitting/pump into the can, shake a few times to start the flow, then find something to do for about 3 mins.

I first thought this was stupid and wouldn't work, but it really is an easy way to get the boat filled fast and easy.

RobertJ
03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I am thinking you guys need Nascar cans and a good gas-man. Call ahead on the radio, hit the dock, gas and go. 5.3 seconds, enough time to pee or have another cold beverage.

ICWater
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks Wolfeman looks like a great solution.

Kurt: What part of Montana are you in? I recently purchased a place in Whitefish. Planning to send some time on NW Montana lakes this summer.

zabooda
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I find having an electric pump makes the refueling easy. Put the weighted hose into the gas can and the other hose into the tank and plug it in and 2-3 minutes and your done. No mess, no fuss.

Razzman
03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
I have two of these and they work great, empty fast too.

http://www.pu-products.com/puproductsllc_009.htm

jjolson
03-15-2009, 02:27 PM
4 5-gallon jugs and a syphon pump is what I use.

KurtL
03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Wolfeman sounds like a great inexpensive solution. I want my back sore from skiing and surfing not filling up the boat! ...... Although RobertJ's idea is intriguing. Guy would have to refill the cooler as well!!!

ICwater we live 10 miles south of Whitefish, just north of Kalispell. Spend most of our boating time at Mcgregor about 35 miles west of Kalispell. Whitefish Lake is nice but can be really crowded. Are you in Calgary or Lethbridge?

ICWater
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Whitefish Lake is nice but can be really crowded. Are you in Calgary or Lethbridge?[/QUOTE]

We live in Lethbridge. Have a place at Monterra on the south edge of Whitefish. Don't see us doing much boating on whitefish lake because of the traffic. May have to check out MacGregor.