PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

BWeber
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Are the trailer brakes activated when you apply the brakes on your vehicle? Does anyone run a brake controller on their tow vehicle? Anyone experience with and without, is there noticeable difference?

Thanks

JesseC
03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Your trailer should be equipped with surge breaks. The tongue of the trailer pushes against a master cylinder that applies the breaks automatically. The harder the vehicle tries to stop, the harder the breaks will be applied on the trailer. There is no controller in the vehicle. It is strictly a mechanical breaking system, the only electronics involved is the reverse lock out solenoid.

BWeber
03-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks! I guess I just assumed the brakes were electric. Nothing wrong with good old mechanical engineering.

sandm
03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I learned the hard way to always keep 2 nickels in the truck or boat at all times. if the reverse lockout fails or your electrical connection fails, you can use a nickel on either side of the tongue to defeat the lockout.
had to do this a couple of times on a buddies truck that only had the 4wire harness :)

Razzman
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Correct on the key, if you have the UFP (Unique Functional Products) A-60 actuator like shown below. If you do have this actuator but don't have the key then call Boatmate Trailers and ask for one or you can also call UFP direct @ (760) 744-1610 and you can get one as well. They are located in San Marcos, California.

kaneboats
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I think I have the key somewhere but don't have this trailer anymore. If anybody needs it let me know.

mcdye
03-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I think I have the key somewhere but don't have this trailer anymore. If anybody needs it let me know.

I would like to. I dont have it on my Boatmate.

jester
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I also thought i did not have a key when i got my boat but it was wrapped in with a wiring harenst that came will all my paperwork. Just had to dig to find it.

kaneboats
03-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I would like to. I dont have it on my Boatmate.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

mcdye
03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

you have mail..

eseebeck
03-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I have an 08 boatmate and the selenoid doesn't work for backing up. I have to use the "key" all the time. I have it taped into place, just cause it's a pita to get out put it in place all the time.

Dealer says its the vehicle not the trailer, could be. I liked the true mechanical surge brakes on my other trailer better.

jester
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
You should be able to test your wiring with a voltage meater to see if it is your vehicle or not. Or finx a friend with a tow rig and see if they can back it up or not.

aintskeered
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I had a bad solenoid on my '07 I chased the ground for a long time as it was intermitant. You can hear the valve click when you put the tow vehicle into reverse. The grounds on my trailer were pretty bad to keep working. The trailer is wired with quick couplings for the wire..... good place for corrosion. Also test on a friends vehicle. Pretty nice when it works but what a paine when it dont!

SEARK
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I have an 08 boatmate and the selenoid doesn't work for backing up. I have to use the "key" all the time. I have it taped into place, just cause it's a pita to get out put it in place all the time.

Dealer says its the vehicle not the trailer, could be. I liked the true mechanical surge brakes on my other trailer better.

Mine did that one time and it turned out that a wire was grounding out on the trailer and blowing a fuse on my truck. Fixed the wire and replaced the fuse and no problem since.

mustangairchair
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
i just take the connector and put the next pin over from the ground and plug it into the 5th pin and turn park lights on and that sends power to the siliniod

kaneboats
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
you have mail..

So do you-- in a couple days. I found it in with the manual and warranty stuff in my filing cabinet. It's on the way.