PDA

View Full Version : Lake Griffin mini jam attemp

moombadaze
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
"Soooooooooooo, who's planning the next adventure?"

looks like saturday April 18th is open, saturday May 2nd is open.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campsiteCalendar.do?page=calendar&calarvdate=04/18/2009&contractCode=FL&parkId=281046

The weather and water could/should be warmer on the 2nd.

Ragdogs said it should work for them also.

3rd time charm.....lets make it happen.

kaneboats
03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Lookin' good for 4/18. Can't do 5/2.

moombadaze
03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
After looking at the map im thinking 30-33 or 17-19, what do you guys think?

kaneboats
03-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Give me till later on today to check on something. I think 4/18 will work.

kaneboats
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
OK, I am good for 4/18. You guys are more familiar so just tell me what you get and which one I need to reserve and I'll do it. I trust your judgment, (I don't think I've said that to anyone in years.)

moombadaze
03-11-2009, 08:17 AM
snatched up site 32, Pat go for 31 and i think ragdogs may show and get 33

kaneboats
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
OK, I'm in 31. Thanks, guys. Looking forward to actually going this time.

moombadaze
03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Sounds like we got it this time. Ragdogs got spot 33 also-they will be boatless and wont show up till later in the day.

kaneboats
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
That's fine. With 3 boats there will be plenty of room. Will be good to see them again.

kaneboats
03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I have to leave by about 3 no matter what. I guess it depends on the weather. If it's going to be hot early I'd probably want to stick around.

moombadaze
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
We will most likely bail out when Pat does.

moombadaze
03-13-2009, 10:27 AM
yep, i do have one-think we will need it?

moombadaze
03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Ragdogs will be 5

kaneboats
03-13-2009, 01:38 PM
8 is no big deal if they are little. 8 adults on anything but an XLV can be a little crowded. Maybe we should stick to one fryer but also make a bunch of hotdogs or something on the grill.

moombadaze
03-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Maybe we should stick to one fryer but also make a bunch of hotdogs or something on the grill.

works for me as we are not wing people. now a nice plump breast on grill sounds nice and yumy:D

moombadaze
03-14-2009, 02:08 PM
how long do wings take to cook? i have absolutely no idea

kaneboats
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a couple wing eaters but also kids that would rather have a hotdog or a burger. I'll probably bring my pop up grill. Ed, I am a master of cooking for large groups. Around here we do it every day. I also worked in a family restaurant in HS. We used to put on Thangsgiving Dinner for 200. I'm in a men's group at church that does dinners for 200-300 5X a year. The whole key is a coordinated effort. If you man the fryer and keep it going while Stacy or me run a grill or two and our wonderful spouses stay hydrated we'll be fine. You just figure out what takes longest and start that first. Then start the other stuff so it's done at about the same time. Whatever is ready you start serving. Don't forget to park the Yuengling cooler near the fryer. All will be great.

moombadaze
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I have a gallon of oil to donate to the cause-bought to much last turkeyday, I'll bring my travel grill-its just like Pats. I'll touch base with the dogs this weekend.

Gotta say im surprised at how long wings take to cook.

I'll also have a cooler full of beverages that we will need to empty out for Pat to take home.

kaneboats
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I would have thought 10-12 min max. (I'm also down for a gal. of oil.)

kaneboats
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
That will definitely affect it. I'd be tempted to dunk only 2-3 lbs. at a time to cook at a higher temperature and get the crispness in a shorter amount of time. Still, you'd have to experiment.

moombadaze
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
well heck , i just reserved the same site for friday night-2 days-yippey

kaneboats
03-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Just looked at the calendar. Cheerleading tryouts for M are the day before. No can do. Be there as early as possible Sat am.

moombadaze
03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Looks like we will have a lot of water to be investigating and I hear from co-workers that lake levels are up.

that will be nice-not having to back the truck out into the lake:rolleyes:

moombadaze
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
this is nice
Activities at Lake Griffin State Park

http://www.floridastateparks.org/images/ActIcons/50pics/boatramp.jpg Boat Ramp

The park has an improved doublewide concrete boat ramp that will accommodate trailers up to 25 feet. Anglers wishing to use the dock to launch boats earlier than 8:00 a.m. may purchase an annual recreational permit for 24-hour access. Contact the park for details. Average depth of the boat basin is approximately 3 to 4 feet.

Boating

A boat ramp located in the park provides access to the Dead River, which meanders through a basin swamp to Lake Griffin and the Ocklawaha River. A series of locks and canals connects Lake Griffin to the Harris Chain of Lakes. Water levels fluctuate depending on weather conditions, call the park for a local report. There is a 250-foot long concrete dock for boaters entering the park via the Dead River from Lake Griffin; a $2.00 docking fee is required.

we might need to go on a 3 hr tour

The Harris Chain of Lakes
http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/images/harrismap-sml.gif (http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/harris_chain_map.html)The nine lakes of the Harris Chain total approximately 76,000 acres. The Harris Chain is world renowned for it's natural beauty and great fishing. These lakes are dark and rich in nutrients. All of the lakes are interconnected with the exception of Lake Yale which is landlocked.
The Harris Chain is part of the Florida Ocklawaha Basin which drains Central Florida to the north and is connected to the St Johns River which enters the Atlantic Ocean near Jacksonville.
During World War II, vegetable farms sprang up around the shores of Lake Apopka to provide food for the war effort. Runoff from these farms and from other local sources caused Lake Apopka to become overloaded with fertilizer and other nutrients. The water quality and great bass fishing that this lake was once known for was adversely effected which caused the State of Florida to purchase and close these farms in the nineties. Much work has been done and is still underway to restore these lakes. In recent years, the fish have returned and the water clarity has greatly improved.
Local bass fishing tournaments are held on a weekly basis and the Harris Chain has returned as a stop on the B.A.S.S. Tournament Trail with its great fishing being highlighted on ESPN and many outdoor TV shows.
In addition to the great fishing, the Harris Chain is a Jet-Ski and cruising paradise. With so much water to explore, it is possible to cruise for a lifetime in these waters and not see everything there is to see.

Big and Little Lake Harris
At over 15,00 acres, Big and Little Lake Harris combined are among the largest lakes in Florida. Big Lake Harris' has an average depth in the center of about 12 feet with many deep holes and ledges. The lake is surrounded by beautiful hills and cypress trees. This is the part of Florida some Orlando residents call "The Mountains". Local humor to be sure, but compared to the rest of Florida which is flat as a pancake, it is very hilly.
There are three main public launching ramps on Big Lake Harris; one off of US Highway 27 to the west, Venetian Gardens in Leesburg and Hickory Point near the Howey bridge off State Road 19.
The lakes are almost totally ringed with Kissimmee grass and reeds except for the occasional boat dock or seawall. The depth in the grass normally ranges from 2-5 feet. The bottom is mostly hard sand except for some shallow marshy areas where the bottom is soft mud.
These lakes are great for water and jet skiing. In the last 10 years, the lakes have cleaning up considerably bringing more boating activity. Still, it's a fraction of the traffic found on most Orlando lakes.
Lake Eustis
http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/images/lakeeustis2.jpgLake Eustis covers 7,806 acres and is connected to Big Lake Harris through the mile long Dead River, Lake Dora through the Dora Canal and Lake Griffin through Haines Creek. Both Haines Creek, the Dora Canal and the Dead River are navigable in a small boat. Surrounding Lake Eustis are numerous residential canals which at certain times of the year can have very productive fishing.
Lake Eustis is also where most of the waterfront restaurants are located. The original Dead River Vics Restaurant is on the Dead River. It is also possible to dock at the City of Eustis Municipal docks and walk to the Crazy Gator Restaurant or visit downtown Eustis. T Bones Steak House and the Third Place Restaurant are also popular with downtown visitors.
There are two public boat ramps on Lake Eustis. The popular Buzzard Beach ramp is located between Tavares and Leesburg on State Road 441. The Eustis city ramp is located on Lakeshore Drive just south of the City of Eustis.
Lakes Dora, Carlton and Beauclair
Together, the East Harris Chain lakes; Dora, Beauclair and Lake Carlton cover 4,475 acres. They are connected to Lake Eustis on the north through the Dora Canal and to Lake Apopka to the South through the Apopka Beauclair Canal. Mount Dora is a beautiful quaint lakeside village located directly on the shores of Lake Dora. This city is the home of the Mount Dora Art Festival, which attracts nearly 250,000 visitors annually. The City of Tavares, also located on Lake Dora is the County Seat and also hosts the popular Antique Boat Show in the Spring of each year.
South of Lake Dora is Lake Beauclair and tiny Lake Carlton. Lake Carlton can be reached through a small inlet on the southern shore of Lake Beauclair.
There are three public boat ramps on the East Harris Chain lakes; two on Lake Dora and one in the Town of Lake Jem. The Lake Jem ramp is on the Apopka Beauclair canal.
Lake Griffin
http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/images/lakegriffin.jpgLake Griffin, on the end of the Chain, is the last major body of water before the Ocklawaha River turns north and flows through the Ocala National Forest as it winds towards the St. Johns and Jacksonville. Lake Griffin is seven miles long and has two flood control locks on each end. Lake Griffin is one of the lakes that has benefited greatly from recent lake restoration efforts. A few years ago, after a prolonged drought, the lakes visability went from 7 inches to seven feet.

zegm
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
The family and I took our 25 footer through the locks on lake Seminole and lake Eufala. It is pretty scary at first. Loud metallic noises as the gates shut. Water rushing in like crazy bouncing the boat around. Sea gulls flying around picking food off the sides in a scene from "the birds". You sit way down in the bottom of this huge metallic dungeon feeling really small and isolated. Then you wait while you calm the kids down as they sit there with terror in their eyes!!!

moombadaze
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
can't imagine what a lake with 7 feet visibility is like.

I've never been thru a lock. Any idea what that is like?

7 feet visibility will new to us also

never been thru a lock myself but there is allways a first

moombadaze
03-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Stacy, tomorrow it's gonna be a high of 74 degrees with winds up to 20 MPH.

Sounds like a perfect day for you to come to Clermont for some surfing :)

keep this thought in your mind as i'm at work

"A bad day on the lake is better than a good day at work",

but gotta work to surf..

moombadaze
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
i'll try that deep fried hot dog, wonder how a braut would do?

kaneboats
03-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Deep fried dogs are delicious but will kill you. You can't use the oil for anything else after you put brat or dog in there. I'm stickin with chicken. Other stuff on the grill. Actually, we can do fries without hurting the oil for chicken. I'll try to freeze some real solid and keep em cold so we can drop em.

kaneboats
03-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Was that in Atlanta?

moombadaze
03-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Pat, whats up about the deep fried hot dogs?

kaneboats
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
A hotdog is bad enough for you when you grill it. Deep frying it seems a little harsh on the arteries. But, more important, it destroys the oil for cooking anything else. Like cooking fish and then cooking potato or chicken. You get fish flavor in everything afterward. If you stick to chicken and potato- neither of these does much to the oil because they don't have very strong smells/flavors.

moombadaze
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
I just smoked some johnsonville bratts last night-dang those were good

kaneboats
03-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Dang, I need to go to lunch now. Waited too long.

moombadaze
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Wednesday, Apr 15
High: 82 °F RealFeelŪ: 80 °F
Abundant sunshine

Wednesday Night, Apr 15
Low: 63 °F RealFeelŪ: 65 °F
Clear

that sounds great

kaneboats
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
If I could take that right now and book it I would.

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 11:03 AM
OK, I'll take that one too.

Have any of you guys been to Lake Griffin? I hope it's not a fishing lake that isn't good for water sports so you have to go through the locks to get to the good lakes. Anybody have inside info?

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I sure hope you guys are getting some of this rain. I think we've had 5 in. in 24 hours. It reminds me of Fay.

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Is it above or below the X? Photo didn't post.

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
no rain here:(

I was on Lake Harris, Eustis, Dora about 2 boats ago(2002) and thought they were beautifull back then. Dora canal is awsome to go thru.

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
OK, good. Just a little worried because there is a huge beautiful (on a map) lake just above me here that you wouldn't set foot in. Well, you might set foot in it but you might get stump back. Anyway, sounds like it will be just fine.

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Well it is a florida lake so i dont think i would be out at feeding time;)

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm talking about the swampy, reedy kind where you don't want to be out there anytime. They actually shot "Creature from the Black Lagoon" and some of the old Tarzan stuff not far from here.

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
As long as my dogs arent on the menu

kaneboats
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
See? I warned you about how them fried dogs would kill you.

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Something else we need to try-how many can we get free surfing behind one boat

1LOKMOOMBA
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Take lots of photos and post for us winterized MOOMBA owners please. And play a Van Halen song for us, and drink a (YengLing) for us too.

moombadaze
04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Ed, you dont think we could get 2 on the same side.

moombadaze
04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
40 gallon tank in mine also, We should be ok. I ran 2 days at Lanier before needing gas.

something else-if you ever want to try the wakeboard prop let me know and we can switch props one day.

moombadaze
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Top speed-yours will be faster at a givin rpm

Hole shot when weighted down with the wakeboard prop is incredible, when im full of ballast and i need to run across the lake it will just pop up and go and holding surf speed when weighted is easier.

Thats about it i think

kaneboats
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Ed, no weather report today? I looked at weather.com and it only goes up to Friday the 17th. It said 84/62 with 20%.

kaneboats
04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
That looks pretty decent. We are due for a warming trend. It was 32 last night here but it's supposed to be over 70 today. I really don't want to cancel again.

moombadaze
04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Cancell--Is Not A Option, Lainey will be upset

Weather looks good

kaneboats
04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
It would take a torrential downpour or wind plus icy temps.

moombadaze
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
It would take a torrential downpour or wind plus icy temps.

torrential downpour-ok, wind-maybe, icy temps-not happening:D

kaneboats
04-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Can I book that now?

kaneboats
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
That's a good lookin' forecast. Depending on how the prop thing works out I can take about 2 more adults but Stacy can handle a few more. We should be crowded but OK. Sure hope Martha gets her prop back in time though.

kaneboats
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I am going to do my best to leave by 7 so I figure just before 11 before I pull in there.

moombadaze
04-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Ed, I will always have room for you and Tammy. Any word on the prop-eta for being done? One thing the Ragdogs may not get there till later in the afternoon/evening and its a slim possiblility they wont make it.

Glad the weather is going to be delightfull

What are breakfast plans Sunday AM?

kaneboats
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I'll probably make pancakes and sausage or bacon (or both). I'll have coffee brewing too. I sure hope we get to meet Martha.

moombadaze
04-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Boats gassed and cleaned
food bought
Beer bought
almost ready to go

moombadaze
04-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Well i dont feel like im ready, no firewood yet and no smores stuff yet.

But did i mention the beer is allready cold:D

SJTLMT
04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I hope you guys have fun! I cant wait to get down here for good, I am really tired of commuting. I will be cleaning up the boat and taking it in for service and de-winterizing this weekend.

SJTLMT
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I am not driving there yet we have just been looking at houses over there. We have been following real estate agents around and I am not very familier with the area yet. I just don't know which way I will take. I am living in an extended stay right now in Lake Mary.

SJTLMT
04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Will do. I went over to the dealership at lunch today to meet everyone and introduce myself. They all seem like good people.

kaneboats
04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I took the day off tomorrow. I have 50 different things going on. I did go outside this morning and scrub down the pop-up grill though so it can sit in the sun and dry. The beer is gone. Have to start over on that. In the meantime I'm trying to clear a lot I can't drive onto. Yesterday I rescued a culvert pipe (lots of digging) and moved it over there. Tonight I have to dig the ditch deep enough to lay the pipe in there and make the drive over. I'm already sore. I'll be up for some surfing on Sat. but not much else.

moombadaze
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
got wood now:rolleyes:

should be rollin into the campground about 6:30-7:00 tomorow night
crackin open the first beer about 6:31-7:01:p

moombadaze
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
you gonna be on the water when Tammy and I get there Saturday morning or hanging around camp?

We should be there somewhere around 9:00-9:30.

I'm thinking I may get there, set up camp and launch when Pat's ready.

I think they have a check-in time too.

You just might be my alarm clock;)-we will be hanging at the site and wont be launching till its time for everyone.

kaneboats
04-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I took the day off to get stuff squared away. I finished my project with the culvert out at the lot (see pic) so all I have to do is get stuff ready and pack, etc. I have all day to do it. So the plan is to wake up and leave at 7 am. Sat. with breakfast en route. I should be there before 11 and all we need to do is set up the tent and throw stuff in there. No need to pump up air mattresses or any of that. The kids can do that later when we are making dinner. So I expect to be on the water by noon for a full afternoon of playtime. WEATHER as of right now 80/62 partly cloudy.

moombadaze
04-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Well the truck is all loaded up except for the coolers, i'll just load them when i get home and grab the boat and were on the road---not that it will go that smooth but just maybe it might:rolleyes:

Ed, no problem- if not tonight will scope it out in the early am. Can us larger sized kids go on the night hike?
She is still not able to run.

kaneboats
04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm doing chores today and getting packed. I wish we were heading out now. Please say a "break a leg" prayer for Meghan who is finishing up 5th grade and has her Jr. High cheerleading tryout tonight.

kaneboats
04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
So, any news on Martha's prop?

kaneboats
04-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Excellent. The twins really wanted to meet Martha. Great news!

2000OUTBACK
04-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Hope ya'll had a good time on the trip!! Make sure you post some pics!!