PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Puppy System

RobertJ
03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I am the new owner of two new ballast puppy pumps for my soon to be automatic ballast system. The ballast puppy's are the reversible impeller style of pumps used in the new boats. I plan to get a third pump soon since the prices are pretty low right now.

If one of you with the new system could walk me through the system I would appriciate it.

Do they drain out the thru hull fitting our the vent fitting?
Do they fill and drain in the same fitting in the bag?
Do they use check valves?
Do they use solinoid sprinkler valves or anything similar?
Do you like the new system?

Thanks for your help and pictures if you have them

RobertJ
03-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I found a few answers by doing a search on the site. I would still welcome some more advice and pictures

newty
03-07-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't own one of the new boats but I've climbed around in them and asked a lot of q's at the boat show. As far as I know the pumps pull water through the hull and discharge the same way through the hull. I don't believe there is any checks. The impellers do not allow water through when not running. So I don't believe there are any checks in the system.
This is what I understand of the system but I'm not 100% sure of the configuration.
I think Ed will chime in soon enough. I'm sure he will help a lot more than I can.

RobertJ
03-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Newty and Ed,

Thanks for the info. I am pumped (pun intended) to get my system installed. Ed, I did find the picture of the bottom of your boat. I won't have the master control unit in my boat so I won't have timers unless I use a relay or a timer. I don't think this will be a big deal since the pumps have run dry protection and when the bags are full I will see/hear the water coming out of the overflow. I might get a price from Skier's Choice for the master control just so I can have it for future reference.

The lack of valves in the new system brings some sense to why the ballast puppies at 9 pm work as fast if not faster then the old systems with bigger pumps. I think Newty found the issue with the restriction from the spring. I thought I was going to need valves at first until I saw a cut-out of one on the board recently and though flowing in both directions through the valve was not going to work well. I am so glad I bought these pumps and the prices you can find them at right know are great. I got both of mine new for under 3 bills.

P.S. On a bummer note it looks like one of my main contacts at Skiers Choice, Mike Thrower, is gone. He sure was an outstanding guy and will be missed. They have also made some other changes like no more receptionist and reassigning people. I heard Mike's departure was not due to the economy but still, I hope the economy can snap out of this.

I also know four other people the work in the business and have recently lost their jobs. Two were from Wakeside and two from Active Water Sports. These were all great people and were very good at what they did. I am glad that I work in the food business, not glamourous, but people need their margarine, shortenings and oils. I will pray for these guys and there families since that is really the only thing I/we can do.

Thanks Again and Have a Great Weekend.