PDA

View Full Version : More ballast valve questions

JesseC
03-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I have been trying to locate some valves for the ballast system that could flow more water than the factory ones. The ones on the newer boats are much larger than the ones in my 02 LSV. Anyway, I have found the ones below, but have been hesitant in ordering them. I would still like to find a gate valve of some sort that is not sprinkler related. Has anyone tried these or even heard of them? They have a straight through design instead of the traditional up and over.

http://www.irritrol.com/pdf/sellsheet_700.pdf
http://www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_700s.html

Let me know what you guys think.

jclay5
03-06-2009, 12:15 AM
jesse let me know if you figure anything out... I would love to do something with my 02 Mobius V

moombadaze
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
JesseC, have you been following the threads over on the modification section, removing the spring in the valves makes a big difference. I am waiting on Newty to see how the dual inpump conversion goes-could be a very good way to go if it works.

Can you post a picture of one of the valves you have?

JesseC
03-07-2009, 02:23 AM
JesseC, have you been following the threads over on the modification section, removing the spring in the valves makes a big difference. I am waiting on Newty to see how the dual inpump conversion goes-could be a very good way to go if it works.

Can you post a picture of one of the valves you have?

Yes, I have been following them closely. My valves are nothing like the newer ones. they are about a third the size and the opening inside the valve is less than a 1/2" near the "seat" of the valve. I will try to post pics eithe tomorrow or Sunday. What interested me on the irritrol is the design difference. I may order one and see what it acts like.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/valvedesign.jpg

jrbishop4
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I replace two on my 04 last year that went bad. One day at menards I noticed that they have what looked to be the same valve for alot cheaper and they had three or four different sizes. If you want to try and look there and maybe save a few bucks. There is nothing to changing them so if they don't work you would only be out about $15 and 15 to 20 mins of your time. They were in the lawn irrigation system section of the store. If one goes out again I am going to give it a shot.

tazz3069
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Jesse,
Have done the mod yet? I still have not chosen the valves that I want to use. I like the two pictures of the valves. I kind of want to choose option #2
Tazz

JesseC
03-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Tazz, No, I have not done anything yet. I wanted to see if anybody had ever heard of them. I am tempted to order one of those, go to Home Depot and get one of the ones everyone is using and test them both. I have pulled my 2000GPH Rule pump out and plan on trying to test the two valves sometime very soon. It may take me a few weeks due to my work schedule.

moombadaze here are the photos of my puny valves...please do not laugh at them, I know they are small.

Notice in the first pic that the opening inside the valve is a little less than 1/2". I am sure that the new ones are much more efficient, but I just want to find something even better. If I can locate a valve that can flow enough water, I will replace the 2000gph with one of the 3600gph pumps.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/NoatValve060.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/NoatValve0572.jpg

kaneboats
03-09-2009, 09:05 AM
I replace two on my 04 last year that went bad. One day at menards I noticed that they have what looked to be the same valve for alot cheaper and they had three or four different sizes. If you want to try and look there and maybe save a few bucks. There is nothing to changing them so if they don't work you would only be out about $15 and 15 to 20 mins of your time. They were in the lawn irrigation system section of the store. If one goes out again I am going to give it a shot.

Man, I miss Menard's. I used to go there at least twice a week. We only have the two big outfits here that would rather sell you a whole kitchen than a decent sink trap.

moombadaze
03-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Jessec, Dang those are some small valve's, looks like in 03 they swapped to a larger size-same as on my 08. That drawing of the ultra flow looks like the way to upgrade.

tazz3069
03-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Jesse--
There is a plumbing wholesale place by the house. I am going to try and get there today and purchase one of these things. When I get it, I will give it the Pool Test. I will try to Post pictures.

JesseC
03-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Tazz,
thanks, I have a valve on the way as well, should be here tomorrow so I can also do a little bucket testing. I am curious as to how easily the valve opens. I plan on going with the 3/4" model which should flow enough water for my pump. Since there will be three of them, I was worried that there would not be enough pressure to open all three at once on the 1" models. My only concern now is can it keep all of them open or would they constantly be closing and reopening.

tazz3069
03-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Jesse--
Mine will work differently. I have 3 separate pumps. One for each bag. That was one of my upgrades I did over the winter. The pumps that I am using is the Tsunami 1200GPH. I will be using the 1" valves. I think this will work. I also will be be doing the test. I need to get a hose that will go into the pool that fits the end of the intake of the pump.
Tazz

04OUTBACK
03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
tazz,
if you have a fake a lake, you can put that over your intake to fill your ballast..
i did that this weekend to fix an issue.

tazz3069
03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Good idea I just might give that a try.

tazz3069
03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Jesse--
Those valves are $65.00 a piece. OUCH!!! I think I found another valve. I am going today to see a friend.

JesseC
03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow, that is a little high! I was looking at the 3/4" ones and they are only $20 which should work for my setup. I still plan on doing a flow test. Let me know what you find. I am still looking for better options as well.

tazz3069
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
OK jesse. I bought the valves. I purchased the same manufacturer but different valve. Like I said, they were about $65.00 a piece. The ones I got were about $20.00 a piece. Now the friend, I was talking about, owns a sprinkler shop. We talked about all sorts of sprinklers. He was saying that the Orbit valves are junk. I will finish the install this week and hit the Lake on Saturday. Our first trip out. I will let you know the results.
Tazz

I hope by saving a few buckets that my new setup will work like I want it too.

tazz3069
03-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Jesse--
Check this out. I think this is what we are looking for. I ordered the 1" They also have the 3/4" available. Here is the link.

Tazz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300302928934

JesseC
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Careful with those Tazz, they are pretty much the same valve you already have, they are just brass. The still have the "up and over" rubber diaphram in them, but they can handle mor pressure since they are brass instead of plastic. I have ordered the other two "flow through" valves and have built a yankee enginuity type of flow test. I will post the pics and results in a few days.

tazz3069
03-29-2009, 09:59 AM
your right. I thought it was a gate valve. I notified the sellar and cancelled the order. I should have looked into it a little better.
Tazz

JesseC
03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
The only electronic ball valves I have been able to find run anywhere from $140 to $200 a piece!!!! The flow through valves should be in next week and I can finish my bench testing of the vavles. I am still concerned that they will not be able to remain open when all three have been activated. I will let you know what I find.

tazz3069
03-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks I did not see that it was an up and over. I thought it was a flow thru valve. I will stick to the one that I bout. I still need to test them though. Weather is crappy now.