PDA

View Full Version : newb here... LSV versus Outback V ?? looking to buy

stillentt
03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
So, i'm looking for my first moomba (just sold my first boat a mastercraft prostar 190) and don't understand fully the differences between the two. My price range is between 18-25K depending on what i find.

I have found several Vdrive LSV's and Outback V's that all seem to have the same options, but I believe the OB is supposed to be the lower end of the two? Do they have the same hulls for say, 2003-2007ish boats?

If i decide to fall closer to the 18K$ price range, is the LS a much better boat that the outback direct drive?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

04OUTBACK
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
scott.
the 02-05 LSV Hull is the same as 06-08 Outback V hull and is a great hull.
that hull is 20' 8" and the 06 and newer LSV is 21'6" and has a little more depth to the interior/freeboard.

as to your question about LS vs. outback... If you want pure slalom performance, the Outback will be the one.. and more comparable to your PS190.. the LS hull is the same as LSV only with Direct Drive. Great boat for Skiing, wake and family. probably won't be Quite as flat a slalom wake, but unless you are competing....it should be fine.. ZEGM on here has an 08 LS and loves it.. I have 06 LSV and love it... had 04 Outback before.. fun boat, but I wanted more space, storage, v drive and built in ballast...
those options are what you'll need to consider as well.

hope this helps..

kaneboats
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Well said, Brad. All of these boats are good choices. The best thing to do is to identify what your true needs are. Generally, unless you are a hard core skier and especially if you are more of a wakeboarder you will be happier with the V-drive models if only due to the ballast issues.

deerfield
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
stillentt - I'll put in a good word for the Outback DD. Bought mine new in 2007 to replace a Nautique. Primary purpose is skiing. I REALLY enjoy my Outback. To accomodate my boys's desire to learn how to wake board, I ordered our particular Outback with a tower and ballast system (as well as heater and upgraded sound system - which, of course, are just nice creature comforts). It will be several years before their wake boarding needs a larger rig. The Outback DD sits low in the water. Not much freeboard. If you are in water with chop or swell, you will likely take water over the bow from time to time. If that or additional room are issues, maybe consider the Outback LS. I have not skied behind an LS so cannot give you an opinion on the ride for a skier. Just providing more information to help round out your perspective on the LS, LSV, and Outback V. - Deerfield

Reese350
03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I had an 04 Outback like Brad. Great boat but we needed more room and a bigger wake so we went to the 06 LSV. Another great boat. If I were buying today (and I wish I was), I would go with the 09 Outback V. Net net, buy any Moomba and you will be happy. That's my experience.

Sled491
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
All great points. If you end up with the Outback it will still be an improvement over the Prostar as it is a bit bigger boat. So you could still get a world class ski, plus more room. If all things are equal and you want to wakeboard and surf go LSV. If your a skier and looking for still more room the LS is your babe!