PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy

tnovak
03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I am in the market to buy a new 2008 moomba outback V. There are a couple of dealers out there with some in their inventory. What would be a good price to pay for a basic boat and then one with let's say a wake plate, ballast III system and upgraded stereo. With what they claim to be $7000 in add ons and before my trade in the best deal I was told was $34000. Is that a good deal or what is? Thanks. Tom

04OUTBACK
03-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Tom
If you have a list of the add on's on the boat, you can use the boat builder tool ( http://www.moomba.com/configurator/configure.php?boat_id=1004 )
and you'll have to log in to get pricing.
An '09 Outback V with no add on options is $34,995 MSRP. I think the '08s were $33k or $34k standard plus options. base OB V would not include Tower, ballast, stereo, etc
You can spec it out on there and see what it would be...
Sounds pretty good to me if it is $34k with tower, ballast, stereo, a cover, and a wake plate... Perfect pass would be quite nice to have, but Moomba cruise is better than no cruise! You can add Perf Pass and tower speakers later much easier than you could add ballast or a wake plate..

tnovak
03-02-2009, 10:16 AM
So what makes the 09 that much better and what will i want to add to an 08?

This is my first new boat purchase. I know what the MSRP is on the 08 but I didn't know how much wiggle room there is in price. Is it like buying a car where you can save thousands off of the msrp? In this economy should I be driving harder deal?

Thanks. Tom

kaneboats
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Do a search on "Martha" and follow the history of Ed's new 2009. All the info you need and lots of photos too.

jmvotto
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Ed's right the 09 has changed dramatically

I bought an new OBV 07 in the winter of 08. paid 35k with 6k of options included. tower, wake plate, stereo, ballast I etc.

diff econmy now you could probably get a slightly better deal if you push.

my .02

BTW it was my first new boat as well and i love it.

romoboco
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Ed, while your positive reviews of your boat and Moomba in general is greatly appreciated by the members of this board and the wakeboat community lets look at at a couple of other items to consider before touting the advantages of the 09' Outback V over the previous years Outback V/ Outback LSV.

1/ a great number of people own the pre 09' hull and despite the detractions of some are extremely happy.
2/ the dealer pipeline is full of 08' product that needs to go. Watersports of Central Florida, as of this am, lists 2 2008's and 4 2009's in stock. I'm sure Bob would like to move the 08's.
3/ The original poster stated that the price he was quoted was $34k after his trade. Trades are a big/big deal nowadays. What is the trade? Is it F&C? The commonly used floorplan company for used is gone, so the dealer would have to have the cash on hand to trade.
4/Boat builders are hurting right now, across all the lines/types. To move/sell product on dealers lots right now wlll be the only saving grace for the industry, including Skiers Choice.

So Tom, if you are happy with the boat, the dealer, the deal, go for it. Moomba is a great product and Skiers Choice a great company. Afterall SPRING IS SPRINGING. Bill

tnovak
03-02-2009, 03:58 PM
The price was actually $34000 before the trade in. I am going to test drive the 08 and 09 and probably the mobius before I commit, I just wanted to find out what a good deal would be in this economy. I know that all of them will be a lot better than my current boat. Please keep the posts coming. Thanks. Tom

moombadaze
03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Tn, hate to say but either boat is great-yes the 09's have some great upgrades but if you can save a good amount of money get the 08 and enjoy-really cant go wrong. I had a 03 lsv-same hull as the outback v for 08 and with this boat you can do it all. Test drive both and get the one that "feels" right for you and the family. Like i said either boat is great and will give a lot of fun on the water

maxpower220
03-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Where do you plan to keep the boat when not in use. If in the garage, you should consider overall length and height.
The 08 model is over a year old and an "old" design. I know that I would rather have the newest model, but you should look at both boats and decide what you like best.

If you read under the "About Moomba", you will see that the boat is already thousands of dollars less ($10-20K) than competitors. This also means there aren't thousands of dollars of wiggle room. Also, list the $6K in options for us.
Bottom line is, if you are happy with the deal, then it's a good deal. No matter what you buy, there is always something better coming out soon.

margski
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Tom,

I have spent about the last two months looking at 2008 Outback Vs. I found one with most all the popular options (wake plate, ballast, tower, stereo) and got a price of $34,000, also. After a lot of debate, we actually ended up ordering a 2009. Good luck!

tnovak
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
What kind of deal did you get on the 2009?

Right now my son's favorite thing to do is wakeboard. How does the outback V with ballasts and wakeplate compare with the mobius as far as good wakeboarding boat? One of the reasons I liked this boat is it seems to be good for wakeboarding, waterskiing, wakesurfing, tubing, etc. Does it really lack in any of this categories? Thanks. Tom

Sled491
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
If I were to jump in here and make some points, I hope not to offend any V owners. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the 09 Outback V has a deeper draft than any other Moomba. Deeper than even the XLV, at 27 inches of draft it may make it a difficult boat to own on some lakes.

Your son wants to wakeboard and I assume this is why you go to a V drive. Surfing, and tubing would also be great fun behind the V drive. Skiing behind a V drive is scary even for hard core skiers, no matter where you place the wakeplate.

If you like the price and the dealer is willing to deal go for what fits. This isn't the last boat you'll ever buy (I assume) and this economy is going to suck forever.

Buy a boat and enjoy:)

smokedog2
03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey, I have an 05 LSV, the racecar of v-drives.

I like my boat. Not everyone needs an SUV on the water.

And the cooler makes a great dry box!

Dead on - the economy is dead, dead, dead, stomped to death by taxes and regulation - Replaced by the politics of Hugo Chavez vote purchasing and political favors.

SD2

Sled491
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM
SD, let me guess, not much in the new stimulous package or budget to help you and yours out either?

tnovak
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Ok, the options included at this price are:
appearance package
logo cover
pkg A(4 ch kicker amp for cockpit speakers)
audio remote on transom
radacage tower
tower mirror
depth finder
hydraulic wake plate
gravity 3 V drive
wakeboard racks
transom straps
aluminum step plates

Tom

04OUTBACK
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
You got the majors covered there...
Perfect pass is an easy install on that boat if you decided you wanted it due to throttle by wire being plug n play
Main thing you want is any add-ons that are not easy to install your self. you got good stereo covereage..tower, mirror, cover, wakeplate is very important..
Seems like a decent deal to me with all those options...