PDA

View Full Version : First Crank of the engine for the season?

04OUTBACK
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
This is my 3rd spring with an inboard...everytime I crank the boat for the first time, I cringe at thinking about it being completely empty of water prior to me cranking it. I plan on spraying the impeller with some lubricant first..
probably will use the fake a lake instead of putting it in the lake for first time.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

smokedog2
02-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I believe the impeller sits dry between rides anyway, so I'd be less worried.

mapleleaf
02-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm still new to this so some advice would be good, this'll be my first spring with an inboard, and the warm weather get can't here fast enough!
Still 2 month's out.......2 long month's

maxpower220
02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
For winterization, some leave the hoses disconnect (some reconnect them). You can always fill the block with water and connect the hoses. This should/will have some water on the discharge side of the impeller. I usually hook up the flush kit/fake-a-lake system. This also allows you to check the oil pressure (you should have changed the oil/filter during winterization) and oil level. It will also ensure that you battery and electrical functions.

mapleleaf
02-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I did an oil change just befoer the end of the season up here. Still best to change again???
All my hoses are disconnected now and the cylinder's have been fogged...
Going to replace plugs, wires and distributor cap before I hit the water.....

Mikey
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Oil will be fine the others you can do if you feel necessary or the hrs on boat/motor warrant it.I'm waiting impatiently as well.

mapleleaf
02-28-2009, 10:23 PM
it's a '90 conbrio, bought it in august, owned by a camp and treated like it. I'm redo'in just about everything....
turns out it's a pretty big list!!!!

04OUTBACK
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
well,
I opened the impeller cover and squirted boot lube on it so it would not be that dry..
I disconnected the kill switch and turned it over a few times to distribute some oil..
then turned on the fake a lake and cranked her up...and ran her til she reached full op. temp... purred like a kitten.
I reconnected all my ballast sacs and she is ready for the water now.

Regards to the questions above about oil and impellers... I put fresh oil in late Fall so it only has about 20 hours on the oil.. I usually run the boat for a little in spring and then change the oil and impeller..
Some folks say to get the old oil out. Since I change not too far from end of year, I feel safe in running it for a bit and changing the oil and impeller before summer really kicks in.

Any gearheads should appreciate the sound of these motors when run out of water.. man, such a nice purr/rumble!

Funny things.. 1. It misted on me ALL the way back to my storage shed... so that meant I had to wipe down the interior and tower (which were all dirty...) and 2. It snowed over night...AFTER I de-winterized it.. We are supposed to be below freezing again tonight, but just below and it will be warming up quickly after that.. so no worries..

It's fun to tow a boat around town when it is 44 degrees and watch the looks you get from passers by..
I stopped at Home Depot for a minute and met a fellow who slalom skis with a Nawteek.. he was checkin my boat out when I walked back up..

heres to longer and warmer days.. DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IS NEXT WEEKEND!!!

mapleleaf
03-01-2009, 12:10 PM
it can't come soon enough.... I still don't have an interior and the boat is 2.5 hours away, but it sure would nice if it was warmer......
that purrrr is super good....

Sled491
03-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Mapleleaf,

I'm up here in the GTA area right now, 68 today, not all that bad:)

04OUTBACK
03-07-2009, 10:38 AM
She is getting her second crank today, ON THE LAKE~! FC is 80 today.. WHOO HOOO

SEARK
03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Your lucky. I had to go out of town and all I can do is wish I was out on the water. Would be a great day to start the year.

Sled491
03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
rain at home for the next few days, almost week. Temps in the 40's. Won't be long now!!