PDA

View Full Version : LSV vs XLV

BWeber
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
If I can get a 09' XLV fully loaded for about $4500 more than an 09' LSV with the same options, is it worth having the extra room for the extra cash? Or does anyone feel its better to save the buck if the extra space isn't needed? I don't really need seating for more than 13 but guess it never hurts right?

Thanks for your thoughts!

jester
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
My personal thought is that i don't want more then 5 other people on the boat at one time. Too many people causes too many problems and gets crazy. I dont know the wake size differance between the two so i can't comment on that.

Ian Brantford
02-27-2009, 08:33 PM
It's not really "seating for 13" under normal circumstances. I have an XLV, and I have to say that practical, comfortable all-day seating for adults ends around 8-10. It's about 6-7 for the LSV and Outback.

Filling all of the seating, you can get about 10 adults in the XLV's interior and another 3 in the bow. However, bow seating has its limitations with its exposure to wind and spray. My passengers love it, but they only use it for extended periods on the warmest, calmest days. If you fill up all the seats, it's pretty inconvenient to get at the under-seat and under-dash storage, as you constantly have to ask people to move around and... oh, all of the other seats are already taken!

One things about the XLV: its wake is a bit wider than the LSV, especially at lower speeds. Thus, the LSV is easier as a learner's boat, especially if you are bringing children.

If you can swing it with your crew, finances, tow vehicle and boat facilities, go for the XLV. I did, after seeing both boats in person, and just knowing that I'd want to upgrade before long if I got the LSV. So, to avoid the hassle of that extra transaction, I just went straight for the XLV. It's been great.

Ian Brantford
02-27-2009, 08:48 PM
My personal thought is that i don't want more then 5 other people on the boat at one time. Too many people causes too many problems and gets crazy.

You have a point there. I guess that my feeling that the fun really starts with 5 people and up stems from the fact that I go out of my way to exclude people who are prone to abrupt horseplay. They are just too dangerous to have around on a boat. It's close quarters and there are too many ways get hurt or drown.

For example, shoving someone into the water is a good way to lose any future invitations from me. In a pool, a supervising party can rescue the victim. In a lake, the victim can get lungful of water and sink out of sight in a couple of seconds.

I dont know the wake size differance between the two so i can't comment on that.

LSV: Nice wake for most riders at a variety of speeds.

XLV: Awesome wake overall. It is harder to make a smaller wake, though who wants to do that?!? It is easy to make a scary-big wake with both full-load passengers and ballast. With the 2005 hull, I find it a challenge to get the wake's lip smooth below about 19 MPH. The newer hull may fix this.

Razzman
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I average 8-10 peeps on my LSV and rarely feel cramped, but then that is a mix of adults and kids and my previous boat was only a 20'! No offense meant Ian but i fail to see the wider is easier statement, personally coming off of a 7' beam boat it was actually a bit more intimidating going to a 8'+ beam boat, for about 5 minutes! :p

The LSV is very roomy (as is the XLV) and has presented us with no problems at all. In Cali the weather is awesome all boating season so the bow seating is never empty. IMO it really comes down to do you have room to store the added length and width of the XLV? Can your vehicle tow the added weight of the XLV?

Seriously, before you make a decision drive them both then make your mind up. We did and i picked the LSV as i saw no benefit in the XLV for me, but I also drove them both.

And Ian is right though about the seating, just because it says it can doesn't mean you will or should! 13 is a load and will definately cramp your style! :)

Ian Brantford
02-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Can your vehicle tow the added weight of the XLV?

Yes, I should have given more than the briefest mention to tow vehicle. What I should have spelled out was that, if you have to upgrade your tow vehicle to accommodate the XLV, the price difference is a tad more than $4500. Most mid-sized trucks are good towing the LSV, but you'll need an upper-mid-sized truck for local towing or possibly a full-sized truck for extended towing with the XLV. The XLV plus tandem trailer are almost 5000 lbs dry.

BWeber
02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes, I should have given more than the briefest mention to tow vehicle. What I should have spelled out was that, if you have to upgrade your tow vehicle to accommodate the XLV, the price difference is a tad more than $4500. Most mid-sized trucks are good towing the LSV, but you'll need an upper-mid-sized truck for local towing or possibly a full-sized truck for extended towing with the XLV. The XLV plus tandem trailer are almost 5000 lbs dry.

I'm not all that worried about a tow vehicle for either. I have a 1990 Suburban, a little old, but plenty of ponys under the hood. I dropped a 383 stroker in it, not the best on mpg though. Shouldn't be a problem even with an XLV behind it.

Ian Brantford
02-28-2009, 01:52 PM
No offense meant Ian but i fail to see the wider is easier statement

None taken, because I meant that wider is harder. :-) If you are going slower for beginners and/or small fry, it appears to be easier to get a somewhat narrower, smoother wake with the LSV.

I also did not mean to imply that the LSV is limited to beginners. I merely meant that it may accommodate some beginners more easily than the XLV.

One improvement that I am really glad to hear was made in recent models of the LSV is that it now has a deeper hull, with commensurate improvements in the interior space. When I test-drove a 2005 model, its shallow floor made it feel not much bigger than my old 18' I/O.

Hey, can anyone say how high off of the floor the tower is in the LSV? It used to be 6', which I thought would lead to repeated hilarity as my 6'2" buddy would hit his head. However, the XLV tower ended up being too high for this effect.

Roachman
03-02-2009, 09:58 AM
One of my determining factors for picking the LSV was the interior setup. I love the walk through bow vs the playpen style. I think it is easier moving through when docking plus I am a little anal when people jump on my seats.

kaneboats
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Roach-- you need to upgrade that avatar pic.

03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I struggled with the same decision and ended up with an 08 XLV.... so pleased! You will get bigger wakes, better surf waves and more factory ballast. Personally I love the playpen bow and kids love it too, plus when it's cool out, we leave the bow tarp on and fold the two seats up between the bow and rear and it works great for watching riders and keeping the heat near the passengers.

At no point did I ever regret going bigger. You always can use more room and riding with 5 or 6 people is nothing. We've had days with 8 or 10 people and it's great.

Pros: wake, space, size, surfing, ballast,
Cons: size, storage, trailering, ski wake isn't very small.

jester
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
No matter what way you go you will be pleased with you're Moomba.

mustangairchair
03-02-2009, 11:17 PM
roach i was looking at you pictures and see you ride a sky ski to cool nice air

03-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Is a bigger wake better for a chair?

Ian Brantford
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Is a bigger wake better for a chair?

Yes. While a hydrofoil chair can get air anywhere, even in the flats, a wake can be used for a big boost.

Hillbilly
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I've ridden both and although I own an LSV the XLV is only 1 inch wider. I don't think that translates into much of a difference in width of the wake? Both boats need more than stock ballast anyway. How much more fuel does the XLV use over the LSV ? Does the XLV have the 6.0 in it that would be nice for the bigger boat. Cant go wrong either way I'd love to have either one.