PDA

View Full Version : LSV Cooler/melter/garbage can

newty
02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I was reading about problems with boat coolers and saw razzmans post about wrapping the cooler w/ HVAC insulation and possibly incapsulating the cooler with spray foam to help with ice conservation. Any other Ideas out there?
Sorry Ed I'll get to the ski pylon soon.

Hammer
02-21-2009, 12:28 AM
You would think they would insulate the coolers before its all put together. I like my cooler if it would hold ice theres got to be a way. I thought of spray foam to but that seems messy we need idea's.

newty
02-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Sorry I was reading the post on Wake World about the cooler.

I was thinking about making a form of some sort around the cooler and and using spray foam as well. Then use a piece of abs the size of the cooler opening and make a rubber seal to attach to the underside of the seat cushion with some sort of insulation on that too. I dunno just thinking with my fingers.

wake08
02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Ed, you still have beer left the next day????

newty
02-21-2009, 09:43 AM
My cooler will certainly keep drinks cold all day but I was looking more along the lines of having it keep ice for more than a day. Maybe 2.

Razzman
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
My cooler will certainly keep drinks cold all day but I was looking more along the lines of having it keep ice for more than a day. Maybe 2.

Hey Newty that was my goal as well. After using the HVAC insulation and metal tape to seal, if i half empty the ice bag into the cooler and lay the rest it flat on top of the drinks in the bag i still have some ice at the end of the day, not much at all though. BUT, they stay real cold all day.

So after that experiment last year i got to thinking about the spray insulation in the can and how to use it. As you said above in your post making a mold but that's really not doable as you'd have to be able to access the cooler from all sides. BUT, what if you could seal all around with the foam? So here's what i'm going to be doing to mine soon.

Step 1: Figure out the thickness wanted of the foam and how far it will protrude out the sides or ends.

Step 2a: Mark off that dimension on the carpet and cut from the front to the back, essentially removing the carpet where the foam will be. Why, because for one you'll increase the thickness of the foam on the bottom and, if you don't you'll ruin the carpet anyway.

Step 2b: MAKE SURE cooler drain hose and clamp are in perfect shape and tight before spraying foam!

Step 3: Using spray foam insulation, fill in all areas under, in front and behind the cooler without spilling out the sides.

Step 4: After that foam has expanded as far as will go, place stiff cardboard pieces that you've previously shaped & precut precisely to close off the ends of the cooler. Block and support them with something heavy and spray the foam into the cavities through holes in the cardboard until it oozes out and around.

Step 5: Remove the cardboard after a while and then slyly using the wifes handheld chesse cutter, shave the foam to the desired shape and thickness.

Step 6: Cover the ends with something to protect the foam from chunking and chipping. My first thought was to coat the ends with resin and paint white. Not sure on that one.

Step 7: Cut out a piece of HDPE to fit in the opening, attach to the bottom of the seat.

Well there it is, let's have ideas to improve or whatever.

newty
02-21-2009, 08:31 PM
exactly what I was thinking but attach a rubber seal on the HDPE so it makes a good tight seal.

Razzman
02-21-2009, 09:18 PM
exactly what I was thinking but attach a rubber seal on the HDPE so it makes a good tight seal.

Use a flexible door weatherstrip around the HDPE and it would seal without interfering i believe! :D

kaneboats
02-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I only see one dangerous flaw in the plan:

" . . . using the wifes handheld chesse cutter, shave the foam . . ."

This could be disastrous. One time I needed to change the oil in the Mustang and I couldn't find my drain pan. I still have a bump from that rolling pin.

tazz3069
02-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Razzman have you done this mod yet? If so, do you have pictures.

Razzman
02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Not yet Tazz, I plan on doing this in about 30 days or so.

SC_LSV
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I use the cooler in my LSV as a drybox. The 95 plus degree days and that ice was gone in no time. And nobody likes warm beer on a hot day. If you have the stock ballast bags in the back, a Igloo Cube cooler will fit in the compartment infront of the ballast bag, and holds alot more cokes(beer). Its a lil tight going past the hydraulic arm. FYI its alot easier to put the cooler in and then load it, bc a 40 lbs cooler and metal frame around the edge will definitely take a lil skin off.

newty
03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I second the the icecube. They fit nicely in the locker. Thats whyI was thinking of cutting out the cooler.

moombadaze
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
yep-ice cube so much better than the ice melter;)

kaneboats
03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I got one of those cube coolers for Fathers Day a couple years ago. It looked kind of small to me but it holds way more than the old one and fits in places the old one never would. I absolutely love it. If I get another one it will be with the wheels though. When I pack that thing down it's a pretty good effort to hoist it into the boat on the trailer.

mcdye
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Being new here, How wet does it get under the seats on each side of the cooler?

I have some scrap foam board about 1 1/2 thick (used on stucko homes) thinking maybe some type of square box around the cooler. it seems that on my model one could side the pieces in from the rear ballast and make the box and use metal tape to seal. have a piece of the black composite stuff on the ends to prevent chips from stuff in and out of the compartments on each side.

What is the boards on each side of the engine made of? Where can it be brought?

CD
2002 OB LSV

yearround
03-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Being new here, How wet does it get under the seats on each side of the cooler?

my experience is directly proportional to how many rollers i take over the bow. sometimes i soak things really well.

tazz3069
03-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I would like to get one of those. Please let me know were to get one or order one online.

newty
03-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Walmart has them costco has them too.