PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Northern California

NCMobiusLSV
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I am moving to Northern California from Chapel Hill, NC. I am looking to hook up with folks out west. I have a 2006 LSV. I had a lot of friends that rode with me in NC and it is always tough to ride without friends. My boat should arrive in NorCal mid March. . . I also plan to live near Cal because I will be working there. Any help would be much appreciated! Groups, message boards, marinas, etc. Thanks. NCMobius LSV

moombadaze
02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
make sure you hit lake Shasta

NCMobiusLSV
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks. I will have to check it out. It looks like it is worth the drive.

tazz3069
02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Northern Calif. NICE.. Make sure to visit the Delta and Lake Don Pedro. we go there every year. Also, welcome to the West Side.

jester
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the West. What city in North Cal will you be in?

davidl
02-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Welcome out west, Shasta is our lake of choice, You will love the warm water!!, Sorry to tell you it is at a all time low 144' down!!. Also the Delta is awsome. I live about 5 hours from shasta and it is worth the drive, again welcome out west.
David Lowery 08 LSV

Buttafewcoe
02-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Traitor!!!!!!!!!!
(although I'd move to AZ if'n I ever had the chance)
B

jrunyen79
02-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Bullards bar and lake englebright, some of the greenest water you will see. Unfortunately we are in a drought. Guess it depends where you are moving to.

byronkoz
02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Were in Northern Cali are you moving? I live in Redding so im on Shasta alot. Anyone from the board who comes to Shasta should hit me up, boat or no boat.

NCMobiusLSV
02-21-2009, 04:55 PM
My girlfriend and I are moving to Berkeley. I will be working at UC Berkeley in the admissions office. It looks like we will be 3 hours from Shasta. I contacted a marina today on Bethel Island. It seemed pretty reasonable and close to the Delta. I am used to the warm water and weather of NC. So I am sure this will be a change. We are looking forward to it. Thanks for all of the help and the welcome.

csmsk
02-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Welcome to Cali! Bethel Island is ON the delta. I'm in Brentwood which is about 10 minutes from Bethel Island. You'll love it out here. We've got a bunch of great ski spots (some of them we keep secret) all within a 5 to 20 minute range (by boat) from there. Also, one of our favorite lunch spots on the water is Paradise Grill, upstairs at the Sugar Barge Resteraunt, on Bethel Island. From Berserkly, it'll take you about 45 minutes to drive to your boat, but there aren't any other decent fresh water spots much closer.

Be sure to hook up with me when you get settled so I can show you around. My '07 LSV has GPS 'cuz it's pretty easy to get turned around in the delta. My wife and I bring the kids out every weekend (and then some) between April and November... 75% delta sessions - 25% lake camping. I love this state!!!

Razzman
02-21-2009, 08:33 PM
My girlfriend and I are moving to Berkeley. I will be working at UC Berkeley in the admissions office. It looks like we will be 3 hours from Shasta. I contacted a marina today on Bethel Island. It seemed pretty reasonable and close to the Delta. I am used to the warm water and weather of NC. So I am sure this will be a change. We are looking forward to it. Thanks for all of the help and the welcome.

Welcome to NorCal then. Shasta is more like 4-5 hours from Berkeley due to traffic and the monotonious HWY5 drive. We go there every year for a week with 5 boats and a crowd. This year it's a group campground out of Hirz Bay, can't wait! Talk to a few on the board that live on the delta as it has it's hazards unless you know where they are. I personally won't go there but that's just my preference.

csmsk
02-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I understand Razz's concearn, but I've been on the delta for 22 years and haven't seen any more problems than at the local lakes (especially Barryessa and Comanche!) I do know what to watch for. My GPS shows most hazards and shallow spots. Plus I play in the same areas that I've played in for many years... tried and true, I guess.

However, that's not to say the Delta isn't without it's trouble spots. I just don't think they're bad enough to rule it out all together.

Razz, we should hook up and maybe I can change your mind. Regardless of wind conditions on most of the delta, my spots consist of average 15 - 25 foot depths, buttery surface, 70+ degree water temp, and seeing less than 5 boats an hour traffic wise.... That beats Shasta in every aspect!

NCMobiusLSV
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I will have to look you up. I think I may need a GPS unit. It sounds a little like the Intracoastal Waterway out here. You just have to know where to go and where not to go. It may look good until you hit a sandbar at 20 mph. Been there done that. A story for another time.

tazz3069
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
We will be at the Delta this year. My crew and I are staying at Snug Harbor. We also go with a big group and 3 boats. Tons of fun. Again, welcome to the west side.

JUST-IN-TIME
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
buy a delta chart from noaa, it shows most of the hazards

you have tons of nice lakes around here, SHASTA is nice, but a long haul just for the weekend

look at bullards bar, mclure, don pedro

I usually stay away from the delta on weekends, sometimes it gets crazy there
week days your the only one on the water

I'm in walnut creek

you will love Berkley, i hang out out barclays after work sometimes

Razzman
02-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Razz, we should hook up and maybe I can change your mind. Regardless of wind conditions on most of the delta, my spots consist of average 15 - 25 foot depths, buttery surface, 70+ degree water temp, and seeing less than 5 boats an hour traffic wise.... That beats Shasta in every aspect!

Hey csmsk, it's not so much me as it is the wife. She flat out refuses to boat on the delta. I have a buddy in Disco right on the water who's lived there for years, he tells her stuff, she freaks, end of story!

csmsk
02-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Razz,
I understand. It took me about 10 years to even get my wife IN the delta water. She always skied and swam in lakes but wouldn't in the delta until we got our LSV. Since we're out there almost every weekend, she warmed up to it and now has no problem.

Either way, I'll take no offense... gotta keep a happy home!

byronkoz
02-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Thats funny. My girlfreind loves the delta and would rather boat there than Shasta, and so would I.

NCMobiusLSV
02-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks again for the help. I contacted a marina at Bethel Island just to give the area a shot. I have no problem towing to a different place on the weekends. We are headed out there this weekend to look for places to live. Hopefully I will see some of you soon. Bob

kaneboats
02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Have a safe one. Best of luck.

csumabat
03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
So far what I've heard are: Shasta, Delta, Camanche, there's a ton more lakes...

Last season which was my first season after getting my first boat, I spent time in the Delta, camanche, Sac River, New Melones , New Hogan

I haven't been to Lake shasta but the 5 that I would recommend from recent experience in order of preference.
New Melones
Delta River
Sac River
New Hogan
Camanche
Don Pedro

NCMobiusLSV
03-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I put my boat in on Bethel Island. I can't wait to check out the area. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Hopefully I can meet up with y'all soon.

Bigstrapper530
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
We tend to always go for whiskeytown lake because i like the fact it is cleaner than shasta and cheaper to launch ($25 for 1 year pass). It's a little colder than shast and a LOT smaller but if you know when to go, you can always get glass to ride on. Either way, shasta or whiskeytown are good times because your on the lake and your on your boat. Kicker back c'mon!!!!