PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Lining on the Platform?

bamaspiveys
02-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I have been looking at replacing my platform pads, anyone ever considered spraying the platform with Rhino lining material?

newty
02-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I've seen it done and it looks and works really nice.

zegm
02-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I ask why doesn't anyone use teak? I see more post concerning coverings on the fiberglass platform than any mention of problems with the teak. I would suggest that some of you consider it next time, one thing that can't be argued is it is gorgeous looking and it makes the boat look elegant!

1LOKMOOMBA
02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
That would be hard on the knees.

Razzman
02-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I'll play on this one. :p

After having teak on everything prior to the LSV i'd NEVER go back to teak! It's a freaking pain in the rear to keep nice, slippery and gets dinged easily from boards. See the nice one below from my Tigé? Looked that way for maybe 1-2 outings then it started looking like crap! So you have to start all over to keep nice! Good Riddence!!

Rhino, LineX and others are hard on the knees and hands! I know this guy who had it for one season on his platform, his wife and kids complained so much he had to buy a new platform! No lie! I have LineX in my truck bed and i'll tell you there's no way it would be on my platform!

zegm
02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I had a teak deck on the MC that was over 30 years old and it still looked great. So I know that back then MC (mastercraft for those who need an abbreviation cheat sheet) used old growth teak and the cheaper inboard companies used young or cheap teak (probably chinese teak). Now I am worried that we have chinese teak on our LS. :p
I think I will design a balsa wood deck for those with TKS (Tender knee syndrome, again a ABBV.cheat sheet). That way everyone can have a pretty wood platform and not try to put 40 grit, Plasti-Dip, supplementary cooling systems or used tires on their fiberglass decks. ;)

MrsZ
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Zegm, Thats kind of funny! To be economical (and green?), we could also use used ergo mats from the plant! :)

bamaspiveys
02-20-2009, 11:18 PM
We'll know tomorrow.

I'll post pics tomorrow night, gonna be a busy day.

Getting back to work on the stereo.

bamaspiveys
02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
It was late before I got back to the house and it was raining.

I will take more tomorrow in the day light!

bamaspiveys
02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Here are some daylight shots.

Very Happy with the finished look.

kaneboats
02-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Looks very nice. Now you just need some gator grip on there.

zegm
02-23-2009, 10:08 AM
bama,

That looks Good!!!

04OUTBACK
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Bama,.
did you do it yourself or take it to a shop?

bamaspiveys
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Took it to a shop, $100.00 and they removed the pads, scuffed it up the surface to make sure it attached to the Rhino Lining material.

I doubt I will put Gator Grip over the Rhino Lining.

RobertJ
02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
How does the stuff feel. some of the other posts said that Rhino liner was killer on the knees and other soft body parts. I am ready to put on a new pad on my platform but I really like the way the Rhino liner turned out. I really like the coverage over the sides, since my platform has some spider cracking this would hide it.

My platform is stripped and ready to go.

yearround
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
my experience with the bed liners, linex was much more durable, but would shread bare skin. rhino liner is much softer, but tends to wear out faster, in the truck, i think on the platform this could be pretty good, bamas' looks really good!

bamaspiveys
02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
One reason I went with the Rhino was the ability to cover the sides. I had spider cracks and they filled them in with resin before the sprayed to to help seal the cracks.

On the roughness, it is not as hard as lineX, and our Rhino liner in the truck has gotten softer with age, I assume this will as well. I hope my platform does not take the abuse my truck bed does, assuming that I think durability will be fine. I thought about going with red, but I was afraid it would fade over time, at least black turns grey. (red turns pink)

I'll let you know how it is on the knees and elbows in a week or two.

newty
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I like it, Looks great. Nice upgrade!