PDA

View Full Version : gps lake maps

rvette
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Recently purchased a garmin gps that is capable of automotvie directions and boating. Thinking of purchasing the inland lakes map software and wondered if anyone has used these maps and what your experience has been, good or bad. Were the graphics ok, navigate accurately, etc.
Thanks.

jclay5
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I used something similar with my lowrance GPS/Sonar on the cruiser. I was very pleased with the mapping and it saved me several times when we were out after midnight. Just don't rely to heaviely on the channel markers, because they do shift out of place. I beleive the brand is navionics gold+ in an SD card format, just pop right in and off you go. We were very pleased with the product from Navionics.

csmsk
02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Last year I bought a Garmin Gps 430 and also the "inland lakes" card. I have what I think is called the "G3 technology" card. I love it! The general detail is much better, not to mention the arial photos and written information of marinas and others places of interest. I'm in NorCal so my software covers the entire California coastline, the Sacramento Delta and over 1000 insland lakes. I don't use the "navigate to" funtion but the map accuracy is very good. It never shows me on land when I'm not (my dads Lowrance does that), and I'm very happy with the graphics.

Just my opinion.

zegm
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I have a couple of Garmins including the 178C chartplotter/depth finder with the Offshore (Gulf Coast) data in it. And I have a Garmin 60CS which came with City Select and a offshore basemap (for auto, hiking, kayaking, etc). I guess what I am asking here is what kind of detail would the inland lakes give you? Does it show the channels, dept etc.? Right now I use the 60CS when we kayak in unknown waters but all it gives is the shoreline, which is very accurate. I don't usually use one on the LS (I know our lake) but if you tell me something good about this "inland lakes" I might get that software for our travels.

Here is the inventory of our Garmin products below and what we like best about Garmin is if you learn how to use one you (easy) can use all, they keep the Menu choices close to the same.
Garmin 178C -Offshore must have, dept finder/chart plotter
Garmin 60CS -multipurpose, auto, kayak, hiking, boat, etc, our favorite
Garmin Forerunner 305 -running, peddling etc, very good in the woods!
Garmin Forerunner 201 -running, peddling etc, not so good in the woods but ok everywhere else
Garmin 72 -black and white back up for the big boat and kayaking