PDA

View Full Version : Outback or Mobius

Hoopskier
02-17-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm looking at a 2003 moomba outback. I'm looking for a boat that is flexable. I skied behind a 2004 mobius and the wake is, in my opinion, too large for slalom skiing.

The outback I'm looking at has alot of what I'm looking for and somethings I'm not. I have been looking for a nautique 196 but the prices are high for what you get. The outback has the tower and ballast tank. Found the tower is nice for when you have people in the boat and are skiing-don't get clipped by the rope when going side to side.

My main concern other than where am I going to park it is about the wake shape and size. I'm not that into wakeboarding currently, more traditional skiing. Outback owners please give me you thoughts about it.

deerfield
02-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Hoopskier - The Outback is a great choice if skiing is the priority. I owned a Nautique, sold it to help pay for graduate school, and replaced it with a 2007 Outback ordered at the boat show. To make it multi purpose, we have the factory installed tower and ballast system. I've seen video of accomplished wake boarders behind a similarly equipped Outback. I would caution you NOT to use the tower for pulling skiers. I hear the tower is engineered to pull wake boarders -- not skiers. For us the Outback is the perfect boat. We have three boys and use our Outback on a small lake. - Deerfield

BensonWdby
02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
I have a 99 Mobius - which is basically an Outback... wake is no problem for skiers accustomed to inboard wakes. Never been behind a newer mobius, but they seemed to have shifted toward making wakeboarders happy, which is usually not what a skiers wants. I have skied behindn our boat with a few fat sacs in it and - not fun.

And yes - do NOT ski from the tower.

kaneboats
02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Love the Outback. I was a skier only 5 years ago. Got into wakeboarding and now surfing. Love the tournament quality ski wake at ski speed; like the wakeboard wake with ballast on board. Working on a surf wake this year. Great boat- fits in the garage. Don't pull a skier from the tower. Also, don't pull a tube with an adult or multiple kids from the tower- use the pylon.

Hoopskier
02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys, Not planning on doing hard slalom skiing from the tower. Wouldn't want to wreck the boat and also on the skier end it, I don't like the feel of the tower when skiing- with the tower lean it makes the rope feel soft and elastic.

From experience in an 04 Mobius the tower was nice for other things though. The tower didn't see excessively stressed, 90 lb kids. I found it allows rider in the boat to use the rear seat without the danger of the rope going directly by, instead overhead.

I think the my choice has been influenced towards the outback I have been looking at. It appears more flexible and family friendly than the 03 Nautique 196 that I have been looking at.

You guys have eased my concerns about the wake for skiing. Nice to know that if I get more into wakeboarding I have that option.

kaneboats
02-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I hadn't thought about it but my two 8 year old boys are just getting going on skis. I could use the tower for their rope. They don't weigh anything and are using pairs so it would free up some seating. Have to keep that in mind.

moombadaze
02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Using the tower for the LITTLE KIDS will also help pull them"up" versus "forward"