PDA

View Full Version : Boat dock ?

bradcraig78
02-15-2009, 03:14 PM
How tall should the boat dock be from walking deck to ceiling stringers to be able to leave tower up? I have the 07 GG and dock is on a protected cove with no wave action. Also I was told to make the boat slip at least 11Ft wide. Does this sound about right?

zegm
02-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I will try to take a tape down to the dock this afternoon and give you the dimensions. Our LS fits up in there nice with the tower and light bars.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/zmega/Dock_Built/Lift_Rear.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/zmega/Dock_Built/tower.jpg

zegm
02-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok the width between the poles is 10 ft so if you add the diameter of the poles you would easily get 11 ft. The height to the top of the header is 9ft from the dock surface which is about 16 inches above water level today, however, we just had alot of rain usually this is about 24 inches. And the length is 24 ft. We were very concerned when we had the dock built that it wasn't going to be tall enough but the Marine contractor told me it was so he was right. We can stuff the LS way up under the roof as you can see in the photos.

bradcraig78
02-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. Did your contractor build your cradle or did he buy from a manufacturer? Any idea on the cost of the cradle and motor? Thanks again.

Ian Brantford
02-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I would also like to hear about similar projects for XLV's. I once measured it on the trailer (vaguely comparable to having it up on a lift) and it was about 10.5 feet tall.

Thanks in advance!

zegm
02-15-2009, 09:33 PM
The complete dock project and all the decking, including the 10k lift cost me just under 12k.

wolfeman131
02-15-2009, 11:31 PM
You can check out the pics of our new dock & lift on my profile. We bought our Moomba after we had this nice, new place to store it.

I believe my contractor used 8ft 6x6's and the slip is 10 ft wide and 24 ft long. I have a 4 ft catwalk along the port side, 4 ft at the bow, and 16x24 dock off the starboard side.

Local company makes the cradles and they are 9 ft in length. We have plenty of wiggle room to get into the slip, but the 11 ft might work better with your boat. Lifts here aren't as comlicated as Z's and run $1,200 or so. The Lunmar brand lifts are pretty nice.

http://www.lunmarboatlifts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=14

zegm
02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Gentlemen,

I realized that I wasn't very clear on my post. The Lift has a 10,000lb capacity and the cost of the total project including this lift was just under 12,000 dollars. Due to the fact that this is a Saltwater town the contractor does many more projects in the bay with much bigger saltwater boats. That lift does have enough capacity to lift 2 Moombas. This also shows in the fact the contractor likes to use telephone poles. At least I won't have to worry about a hurricane unless we get the "Big One".

deerfield
02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Zegm - It bears repeating: I really, really like that boat dock. You are one lucky guy. - Deerfield

wolfeman131
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Z,

Whew! That makes me feel better. I did read your post incorrectly and thought you paid $10,000 for the lift. I couldn't figure how you got the dock for $2,000?!?!?

My total project was a bit more, but I think I have more dock and the storage building. I also had to pay to have the old boathouse knowcked down and hauled away.

zegm
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Deerfield,
We do too! We just wish the boat was in it now and not in the garage.
Wolfman,
Yeah I realized I was not clear. Actually we had to shorten our old dock by about 6 feet so as to not block the canal. The contractor came down our narrow canal with a big barge and did all of those poles in about 2 hours.