PDA

View Full Version : Confused on Battery Selection

jasonba1
02-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I currently have a optima in my truck and it has been great for 3 years. Howerver I am now in the market for 2 new batteries for my boat I was looking at the blue top optimas but some people are saying that is not the best choice. Some people are saying the Dekka is a lot better . What is everyone else using and why? thanks for all of the help in advance.

Razzman
02-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Never heard of Dekka. Personally i've had great luck using Interstate/Costco marine batts. Easily a 3-4 year batt and with Costcos warrenty and return policy it's a no brainer for me.

I also don't think Optimas are anything special. Their only real claim to fame is they can be mounted in any position. Well i guess if you have no room in the boat then that may be an issue. Any battery will go the distance if you maintain them, right now my batts are on the workbench under a regulated trickle charge until mid April.

jasonba1
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
thanks guys for all of the help. Anyone else's input I would love as well. Ed G thanks for telling me about Johnson Controls I did not know that.

Ian Brantford
02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Some of these batteries have a lot more going for them than mounting in any position, especially certain ones like the Optima Yellow Top. I am not sure if the many other labels that also use a yellow top have the same function and enhancement.

It is because certain batteries on the market are SPIRAL CELL batteries. Of these, certain ones (like the Yellow Top) are also enhanced for dual purpose, for both starting and deep cycle. These are of particular interest to boat owners. They also have a marine version (blue top) that supposedly have some extra corrosion resistance for salt water environments, but I do not know if it has starting/deep-cycle dual function.

Here are some references that may help explain:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge/

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/optima.htm

If you are too lazy to read: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki7053833Pg

Spiral cells last much longer, won't spill in any orientation, are more resistant to vibration, charge faster, and pretty much everything else that you'd want except that they might not match the very top-end cranking amps of some conventional starting batteries. Note that those very top-end batteries may get their high cranking amps by having a lot of very thin plates, and thus be more fragile and failure-prone. Spiral cell batteries are also notably expensive (but worth it) and friggin' heavy (because of the extra lead).

newty
02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
If your looking for a stereo type battery back up and as long as your going with two, I would look in the direction of two 6 volt deep cycle. (golf cart batteries) They have a much longer reserve and if cared for properly will last as long if not longer than a gel. They are around the same price and well worth the money.

jasonba1
02-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey Newty,

So are you saying use one marine battery for starting and 2 golfcart type batteries for the stereo and just have a battery selector switch. I like the idea just wanted to make sure I understand

Brian Raymond
02-15-2009, 12:52 AM
The DP (dual purpose) batteries are a highly recommended choice when installing dual batts. on a boat. Make sure they have at least a 650 cca. rating and use 2 of the same batteries. The DP batts. have a longer amp surface charge rating, and will re-charge quickly. This ensures the owner of more Buffet(Jimmy) indulging time while the engine is not running. Brian Raymond

zabooda
02-15-2009, 02:08 AM
I thought about golf cart batteries but man are they heavy and you need two of them to make 12 volts. I use them in my motorhome because weight and space are no problems.

Ian Brantford
02-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I thought about golf cart batteries but man are they heavy and you need two of them to make 12 volts. I use them in my motorhome because weight and space are no problems.

Space may be a problem, but... what's wrong with more ballast? :-)

Thanks to Ed G for that article on battery branding. It was very illuminating. Note that just because a manufacturer makes the hardware behind a specific brand, it does not mean that it's the same as some similar-looking product made for another brand. There may be custom manufacturing to hit a certain spec for a certain price point. Still, if one has had a good or bad experience with reliability, knowing who makes what can give some confidence in the next purchase.

moomba07
02-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Optima, seriously cant beat it

kaneboats
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
A good manufacturer may make different lines for different customers but you can bet the quality isn't going to drop much. For example, my Dad always said the Hotpoint appliances (made by GE) are fantastic, just no frills. I have never had an issue with a Walmart battery and have probably bought 5 of them in the last 10 years or so for cars, trucks, boats, etc. I suspected their price savings came from the quantities they are able to buy not from some shortcut in the manufacturing process.

zegm
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I had a pair of Excide deep cycle batteries last 7 years in my offshore boat, but I have to say I like the Optimas too! We use them here for Navy applications and have had great luck, but they are pricey!

zegm
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Surely someone makes a portable 12 volt pizza oven we could set in someones boat! Catch the fish, put it on the dough, spead some sauce and cheese over it and Walleye! we have pizza!

Upppps wrong thread!