PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the sub??

moomba07
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey i've got a kicker 10" square sub and im not sure where would be the best place for it? My boat is an 07' outback v. The two places are either where the battery sits on the lefthand side of the boat or under the steering wheel back in the floorboard. Any suggestions?

Sled491
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I have debated the same problem. Many put it on the drivers side, in fact I think this is the location the factory places it. Do you have heaters?

McMoomba
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
The dealer installed mine under the drivers side dash, the factory pust them in the same place.

newty
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I have one on both sides and the one behind the clamshell is way louder. however you have to have the seat opened a little for the sound to escape. The kicker 10 will not sound good in the factory location because it is not a free air sub. I'm thinking of turning my sub under th dash forward and putting a new baffle in. when I do I will report back. I had it that way in my old boat and it sounded incredible. If you are any good with wood I would give it a shotwith a foward facing or side facing sealed box, with a baffle (or a carpeted board) to hide it all and help hold the sound under the dash a little for the deeper, louder bass.

c.rix
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I have 2 12" mtx woofers in my 07 outback one is under the passanger windsheild area and the other is by my feet but not like stock set ups I have a enclosed box sitting on/built into the angle of the floor firing toward the side of the boat it is a huge pain with the 12" the smaller 10 would have been better choice

I am going to redo the passanger side on because it take up way too much space in that compartment and people keep putting stuff on the sub I want to free up some spacce and make a rack for the amps now they are mounted to the subbox

If I only had one I would make a box for the driver side I dont even notice its there anymore

c.rix
02-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh yeah If you want cleaner better sounding bass fire the sub toward a solid part of the boat like my driver side sub when the sound waves hit the solid hull the bass is disbursed throughout the whole boat instead of firing staight at you

Just remember to keep the sub a few inches away and make sure the box is the correct size for the subwoofer too that can make or break a good sounding system to a great sounding

jester
02-12-2009, 12:07 AM
It is funny that you ask this question becasue i am about to start this project next weekend. I will be placing mine under the seat behind the drivers seat. Making a custom box that will slide in from the rear storage area. I followed the wires (after some great advice) that the other speakers are powered by and they run around the bow.

c.rix
02-12-2009, 12:14 AM
It is funny that you ask this question becasue i am about to start this project next weekend. I will be placing mine under the seat behind the drivers seat. Making a custom box that will slide in from the rear storage area. I followed the wires (after some great advice) that the other speakers are powered by and they run around the bow.

Jester I also thought about doing that myself But I decided not to because the box and sub have a decent chance of getting wet by people getting in and out possibly bag issue ect... unlike under the dashes If you only have one like I said I would make a custom box to fit on top of the hump hi and dry less chance of getting wet

But If you are set on putting it there then I recommend getting some figerglass resin and coating the sub box to make it more waterproof at least 2 coats on it too

jester
02-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Well my issue is that under the dash i have a heater. I will be making it water proof. I have noticed that most people do not get out of the boat on that side. The only time people are on that seat is when the boat is full or when i am putting up or taking down a wakeboard. Also under that seat is more or less useless. It is hard to get the seat in and out.

c.rix
02-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Well my issue is that under the dash i have a heater. I will be making it water proof. I have noticed that most people do not get out of the boat on that side. The only time people are on that seat is when the boat is full or when i am putting up or taking down a wakeboard. Also under that seat is more or less useless. It is hard to get the seat in and out.

Thats true that seat is a pain in the butt to get in and out

c.rix
02-12-2009, 12:23 AM

I do remember someone intergrating the heater system with a sub settup though

newty
02-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Jester I would seriously reconsider putting the sub there. You will not get the sound quality you will get from under the dash. Think about moving the heater around a little and making space. You will be far happier with the sound. The other thing is I don't think you can make a box big enough for the correct enclosure size and still have it fit through that hole in the seat base.

jester
02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Newty,

I have never liked the idea of the sub at my feet and messing around with the heater would be a pain. That is also where i store my great so i have easy access to it without having to leave the dash. For the box size i am not putting it in thru the top hole but sliding it in from the rear storage.box size will be about 16X35X6.5.

Razzman
02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I've also a heater on mine as well. A sub and the heater can live in the same space no problem. I have a .75cf square box for my current 10" Memphis sub attached to the top of the foot rest structure facing out towards the hull and it fits there beautifully.

I'm replacing it with .89cf custom box soon, possibly in the exact same location as the bass surrounds you very nicely traveling in/under and around the whole interior structure. That probably won't happen in that behind the seat location unless you vent it somehow so you might want to re-think that placement.

Razzman
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
For the box size i am not putting it in thru the top hole but sliding it in from the rear storage.box size will be about 16X35X6.5.

Jester, Just curious, what sub are putting in a box of those dimensions? Assuming your using 3/4" material then your looking at 1.4cf which is overkill or double what you need for your average sub (300-400w) in a sealed enclosure.

c.rix
02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
My boxes are about the same size cu ft wise I dosent go by watts it is more about how much surface area the sub is and excursion of the cone

Razzman
02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
My boxes are about the same size cu ft wise I dosent go by watts it is more about how much surface area the sub is and excursion of the cone

Your correct as to surface area as well as excursion. But there's also a fineline where the sub works most efficiently and at peak performance and at the proper frequency range as well. I've found that most (but not all) 10" subs in the 300-400w range work best in the .75-1.00cf range for a sealed enclosure for a 10" sub. Example the Polk MoMo 2120 DVC i have works optimally at .89cf but it'll work in the range of .66-1.20cf. So i'm not saying you can't do it, just that it might not give the best results, especially if the sub displaces .08-.12cf and the basket is 5.5-6" deep in a 6.5 deep box.

jmvotto
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Tazz used the audioformz sealed enclosure so no messing with the heater and up under the dash, out of site and nice and dry.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=4958&highlight=tazz+subs

jester
02-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the messages. I will look at under the dash also now. Shoot i might just mount it to the tower and save all sorts of fun playing in small spaces.

Razzman
02-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Shoot i might just mount it to the tower and save all sorts of fun playing in small spaces.

LOL! There ya go just hang that puppy right in the center of the tower! :p

moomba07
02-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Thats a good idea i never thought about putting it in there

moomba07
02-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I have debated the same problem. Many put it on the drivers side, in fact I think this is the location the factory places it. Do you have heaters?

no i left the heater option out on the deal

Sled491
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I have the heater in my 07 Outback as well. I plan to cut my sub into the footboard under the drivers consoul. If I have to I'll build a custom box for behind it to close it off under the bow seat. I think that a 10" will go there just fine you just need to work it a bit.