PDA

View Full Version : Trailer oil change

1LOKMOOMBA
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Anybody ever change the bearing oil in the trailer?

1LOKMOOMBA
02-07-2009, 10:05 AM
yours was done once by the Orlando Dealer @ 2.5 years of age.

You should have instructions in all that paperwork.

I highly recommend you doing it - for axles and brakes.

A happy trailer is a fresh oil trailer.

Oh, by the way Danny...I just found the plug for your "cooler". Do you want it?

I recommend you not using it and just use that hole as a vent and let water pass thru. The cooler never kept anything cold. It is a great recycling bin
Yeah, We use the cooler as a recycler also, so keep the plug. Hang in there, buddy.

moombadaze
02-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Ed, do you have a sticker on the trailer frame that says no maintence for 10k miles for the bearings?

smokedog2
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
What year was the change made in trailers?

I have never looked at mine and we are headed to Norris this year.

1LOKMOOMBA
02-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I did change the oil in the trailer bearings and if the indicator is brown its time to change.

jrunyen79
02-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Not sure how often you should change it, but I've heard plenty of bad stories about trailers. I was towing one of my previous boats when the wheel came completely off the trailer and caught up to my truck busting out the taillight. Bottom line, pay close attention cause it always blows out (the bearings that is) in the worst times.

1LOKMOOMBA
02-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Not sure how often you should change it, but I've heard plenty of bad stories about trailers. I was towing one of my previous boats when the wheel came completely off the trailer and caught up to my truck busting out the taillight. Bottom line, pay close attention cause it always blows out (the bearings that is) in the worst times.

It says in the manual every year, but the window on the bearing is black with fresh oil in it. Oh yeah I've had a tire come off too, although luckily I was going 2 miles an hour.

mustangairchair
02-19-2009, 09:32 PM
i have a 03 it still has grease in the bearings not oil. i check them every year and see if there is any water in the grease it will turn gray. i repack the bearing every second year thanks

moombadaze
02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
my 03 trailer was oil filled hubs

1LOKMOOMBA
02-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Danny how did a tire come off? You mean off the wheel, or did wheel and all come off the trailer?

Ed, Don't worry it was not the Boatmate trailer. This happened 2 years ago on my Bayliner trailer. The flat I had on the way from your place was the port side tire ballooned out like a baseball, Lucky the sun had just came up, I look in rear view and see rubber flapping. No damage to trailer, I slowed to 10 miles an hour. It blew 2 miles outside of Montgomery. We were back on the road within couple of hours with new tires. I do have a phobia of trailer bearings because the Bayliner experience. Rock on!