PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure light

Atlanta owner
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
I am in the process of buying an 08 XLV gravity games boat. When I test drove the boat the oil light near the ballast system gauges was lit during idle. It went out once the boat was running. This occured even after warmup. I was told it is normal.

98outback
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
That is normal on a v-drive. When you are idling the low oil pressure light is on for the v-drive. It cuold also do it at very low speeds. I have a supra and in the manual it says if it stays on above 1600 rpms then you have a problem. The fluid could be low but if it goes off once you accelerate you are good. This light will come on regardless if the boat is warm or cold.

Atlanta owner
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks......eased my mind

jclay5
02-04-2009, 05:10 PM
That is normal on a v-drive. When you are idling the low oil pressure light is on for the v-drive. It cuold also do it at very low speeds. I have a supra and in the manual it says if it stays on above 1600 rpms then you have a problem. The fluid could be low but if it goes off once you accelerate you are good. This light will come on regardless if the boat is warm or cold.

Hes right the light is supposed to be on below 1600 rpm and it goes off when you exceed 1600rpm. If it doesn't go out the sending unit on the v-drive could be bad, or it could be low on oil, or various other things. It sounds like the light on the boat you test drove is functioning properly.

Atlanta owner
02-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks again. I was just curious. I havent been presented with the manual yet...But I did just pull the trigger and bought it this morning. It will be a different experience for us. We are going from a 23' Sea Ray to this. I have very active 13 yo and 19yo kids into wake sports...all advise is appreciated.

moombadaze
02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Atlanta, congrats on the new boat and welcome to the moomba boards

what lake are you on or go to?

And yes as everyone has said light should be on below 1600rpm and off above.

Atlanta owner
02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I will be on Lake Allatoona. It is the "other" lake near Atlanta.

Brian Raymond
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Atlanta, welcome to the clan. This is deffinately the liveliest and most knowledgeable place for reference, from boat owners and Skiers Choice personnel for information and how to's for any upcoming questions or inquiries and events. Congrats on the new "baby". Brian Raymond

Atlanta owner
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I have another stupid question. I am used to the anchor being stored in a front compartment on the bow (Sea Ray). Where is the optium choice on an 08 XLV?

moombadaze
02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Atlant, i have 2- one in the front and one in the rear storage area's

kaneboats
02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Mine usually sits in the observer's seat. OUCH!! Sled, you're rubbing off on me.