PDA

View Full Version : rats

Barlowx4
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
We keep our xlv in a MDM shelter near the bottom of our property. I was just down there and it looks like some sort of critter was chewing acorns in the engine compartment. My guess is he came in through the exhuast. Don't see any damage but I am worried. Has anyone had this problem and how did you deal with it?
thanks
Brad

kaneboats
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Try doing a google search on cinnamon oil. I read somewhere the fishermen use it when they store their boats b/c it keeps critters away-- boat ends up smelling kind of fresh too.

kaneboats
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Sorry-- I think it's actually peppermint oil.

kaneboats
01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Here's one article thing on it:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf703999.tip.html

Membrain
01-31-2009, 10:10 AM
We have same problem, but with squirrels!

moombadaze
02-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I once had a squirrel get in a boat that i had sitting letting everything dry out in the back yard. Well the next day i just closed all the hatch's up and sealed him in there not knowing, he ate some wires and nibbled on the fuel line and schreaded up some life jackets. The next month we went boat camping on a island in the gulf. I had beached the boat and the tide had gone out-i was complety hi and dry with no way to clean it when i found him--what a stinky mess that was. To save the weekend i just did not let my wife open any hatch's and cleaned it all out when i got home.

Sled491
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do critters get in through the exhaust? I understand that they can get in through the flaps but from there the trip ends at exhaust valves.

I have heard that they have come in through the drain plug. Either way give them a taste of some kind of mouse poisen as it dries out the little trespasser and keeps it from becoming a stinky mess.

lowdrag
02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Yep, squirrels are horrible little critters when it comes to anything mechanical that has wiring or rubber parts to chew on. I've seen them to thousands of dollars in damage to cars in the space of a few days by destroying the wiring harnesses under the hood.

moombadaze
02-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Yep, squirrels are horrible little critters when it comes to anything mechanical that has wiring or rubber parts to chew on. I've seen them to thousands of dollars in damage to cars in the space of a few days by destroying the wiring harnesses under the hood.

I've seen this also-some creature really like's the knock sensor wire harness on honda v-6 engine's-have to pull the intake to replace a 4 inch long wire. Check engine light will come on and if its the fault for that sensor you can bet its been chewed.