PDA

View Full Version : Z F Hurth In-Line Transmission

Bobby
08-16-2002, 05:16 PM
I have a 99 Outback I purchased recently. I need some information about the transmission from a maintenace stand point (fluid & screen change). The closest dealer is 200 miles from my location so I want to do the maintenance myself.

Brian Raymond
09-08-2002, 09:45 PM
Bobby, congrats. on the new boat. The best and easiest way tho change the fluid is to suck it out with a electric oil change pump or manually remove the fluid with a hand discharge pump. You should remove between 1.5 and 2 qts., youwill never be able to remove all 2.5 qts.(unless pulling the trans.) . Add 1qt. o trans fluid. Take the boat to the lake and let idle on trailer until running temp. is met, about 160deg.F. Back the boat off of the trailer and idle in fwd. for a few seconds, shut the boat off and wipe off the dipstick, reinsert the dipstick and check the fluid, you will probably have to add some, so make sure to have a quart with you. Add fluid up to the full line, not above, this will cause fluid to blow out of the vent tube. The dipstick is made to be read with the boat on the water,not on the trailer. Once proper fluid level is maintained , put the boat in fwd.and rev. and double check your fluid level. Make sure to use a Dexron3 trans. fluid. Hope this helps.

Brian Raymond
09-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Maintenence tip. The fluid should be changed at the beginning of every season or every100hrs. The screen, which is located inside the trans. should only be removed by a servicing dealer.

Bobby
09-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Thank you very much for the information. The boat is awesome!!!